Author Topic: Roberta's Cookbook Sourdough Starter Pizza Dough Recipe  (Read 413 times)

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Roberta's Cookbook Sourdough Starter Pizza Dough Recipe
« on: April 13, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »
In this thread:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31307.0
there was some back and forth and inquiry (from me) about this dough recipe.  My interest was about whether or not it was really possible (and desirable) to make a pizza dough with a cold fermented sourdough starter.

I made 2 sets of doughs, both about 31 hours ahead of cooking, my "usual" and the Roberta's recipe.  The Roberta's recipe is 66.4% hydration with the starter at 32% of the total flour (including the flour in the starter).  My usual is 63% hydration and I used about 7% starter.  The Roberta's dough also had 2.7% oil.  The Roberta's dough was cold fermented while mine was kept at 64 degrees.

I took the Roberta's dough out of the fridge about 4 hours before cooking (picture below) and the 64 degree dough out to room temperature about 2 hours before cooking.   That was just because I was wanting to ensure the cold fermented dough had enough warmup time but I probably could have left it in longer if I wanted to do that.

Both were 50/50 KAAP and 00 flour.  Given the Roberta's dough had so much starter, the actual percent of KAAP was a little higher.

Both were cooked in the WFO with the floor somewhere around 750 and they each took about 2 1/2 minutes (the Roberta's dough was around 2:40 and the other was around 2:20 but I also doubt the floor temperatures were identical).

Lots of variables here, so it is hard for me to make the correct attributions.  We found the Roberta's dough to have a bit less flavor and a bit crispier.  We were happy with both but thought the usual dough was the winner, driven by the flavor.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised that the Roberta's dough was as "usable" as it appeared to be and as tasty as it was.  I can see using it if I am not quite sure when I want to cook and, therefore cold ferment.  But, there really was no advantage beyond that.

Can you guess which is which?

- Mitch

Offline Adrian

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Roberta's Cookbook Sourdough Starter Pizza Dough Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
My guess: Roberta disguised herself as Margherita.