Author Topic: How do you get the pizzas to slide off onto the grill?  (Read 541 times)

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
How do you get the pizzas to slide off onto the grill?
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:01:08 AM »
Can someone tell me how to make a pizza and then transfer it to the grill or preheated stone? Seems like to matter how much flour I use trying to make the dough slick on the bottom it still sticks to my non stick pizza pan that I make it on? I want to have it slide off onto my stone or empty rack on the grill. Even if we oil the pan the dough still wants to stick. What is the secret? Am I not adding enough flour to my dough or am I just doing something else wrong?

Offline wahoo88

Re: How do you get the pizzas to slide off onto the grill?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:09:56 AM »
Use a wooden peel.  If that is not an option (and you're baking on the stone), use parchment to transfer the pie and then pull it out from under the pizza when the dough sets.  If you're baking directly on the grates, you can always just drop the dough skin on the grill and then top it while its on the grates.

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:31:44 AM »
I would like to get a peel but what is going to make a pie slide off one of those any better than a non stick pan? The parchment paper is a nice idea but that's no different than what I have been doing in using my pan to brown bottom then grab pan with hot gloves and slide pie off onto grate. I want to be able to keep the lid on my grill from start to finish so I need to get the pie on the stone/grate from the start.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:11:24 AM »
When I bake my pizzas on the grill I like to start out using a well seasoned pizza screen until the crust begins to set, about 90-seconds, then slide the dressed pizza skin onto the grill to finish baking. I've found that this also helps to control the dough from sagging between the grill grates.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:01:22 PM »
I could do that. I am using a UDS smoker which is the same config as a weber grill in that you have to remove the lid to do stuff and that lets all the heat out. But when i got her cranked up as high as she will go it hits peak temp in a minute or so once I put the lid back on so maybe it is not that big an issue. I was doing this procedure yesterday with a non stick pizza pan with holes in it. It worked well.

Oh and by the way I have always intended to head to manhattan. My nephew just graduated college there at kansas state and I never did get a chance to go down and get wild with him lol. You own a pizza joint in town there or you just a home cooking person?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »
You own a pizza joint in town there or you just a home cooking person?

cmwr,

See http://www.doughdoctor.com/bio.html.

Peter

Offline cmwr

• I Love Pizza!

Offline Mdvpc

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:12:42 AM »
Super peel. Someone recommended it here.  I bought one recently and it works great.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 10:25:42 AM »
CMWR;
In addition to what is shown in my bio, I also have a very good friend here in Manhattan, Kansas. His name is Adam Peyton, Adam is the owner of AJ's New York Pizza (3rd and Poyntz Ave.). AJ's is a slice store that is based on one of my articles titled: A New Approach to Pizza by The Slice. It is a slice different from any slice you might have ever had before. I developed the process a number of years ago after sampling slices across the country and coming away totally unimpressed. I developed the process to incorporate everything most of us like in a pizza, crispy, fresh, hot, assortment of fresh toppings, and still meeting the common denominator of a slice store, relatively fast. Adam now has a total of three stores and is doing very well. He was voted best pizza in Manhattan a couple of years ago, how many slice places would qualify for that honor? And yes, as a college town, we do have a lot of pizzerias both chains and Indies (independents), but keep in mind that this competition wasn't open just to the pizzerias, it was an open competition so it included even home prepared pizzas!
If you make it here to Manhattan, Kansas be sure to look me up, my home e-mail address is <thedoughdoctor@hotmail.com> and I'll treat you to some of Adams pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
GI Metal peel, they are awesome.