Author Topic: One of my margherita....  (Read 8483 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: One of my margherita....
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 02:21:05 PM »
Just came across this snippet which may also be thought provoking:

"Antica Pizzeria da Michele, one of the city's oldest, has been family-run for generations; the current padroni -- Don Antonio and Don Luigi Condurro -- were delivered here, by a midwife, perhaps on a pizzamaker's paddle. People call them "Don" in sign of respect. The two "Dons" make only two kinds of pizza. One, la margherita, has tomato sauce, fior di latte cow's milk mozzarella and basil. The other has neither cheese nor basil. You're lucky if you get a salted anchovy. "

"Simplicity," said Don Antonio as he kneaded his dough. "We like them simple. You want other toppings, you have to bring them yourself."

I asked about the cow's milk fior di latte -- Americans seem to prefer mozzarella di bufala. "Buffalo-milk mozzarella is too fatty, too heavy, too wet -- it ruins a pizza."

If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline joesaccio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 03:02:09 PM »
Hi Pizzanapoletana,

I'm new to the forum but have been experimenting with pizza for several years after many trips to Italy. It's comforting to know I am not alone in my obsession for great pizza. My poor family has suffered almost every week as I experiment trying to make the perfect Neapolitan style pizza.

My guess is we all have our own idea of what's perfect. I saw your photo and I was amazed. If I could make pizza that that I would quit my corporate job in a second.

I have been through the website and forum and found several recipes but I was hoping you would share your secrets. Thank you. joe

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 10:21:24 AM »
David,

At Da Michele they have never used anchoives.. That is another piece of bad journalism.

What you says is sometimes called  Pizza Napoletana, in Naples is called Romana and include salt anchovy, black olives and cappers.

Ciao

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 12:09:37 PM »
In an effort to reduce my dairy intake, I've made quite a few cheeseless pizza's recently, and I've found them quite good.  For me the best part of the pizza is the crust and the sauce.  Cheese is just like another topping now.  What's great about a cheeseless pizza is that it cuts the fat tremendously.  I can eat twice as much pizza if it doesn't have cheese on it, and still come away with less fat (I generally prefere veggie to meat toppings, so not much fat there).  Its significantly less filling.  Also, cheese is expensive compared to flour and tomato sauce, so that helps too.

Offline musiq

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 01:45:59 PM »
Marco, your pizza looks delicious...i wanna try donna margherita as soon as i'm back in london...wanna show my girlfriend what a real pizza is...

Offline artigiano

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 03:56:03 PM »
Hi Pizza Napoletena,

I have a question, why am i always fighting with my dough it isnt very relaxed.  What can I do?

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 08:46:45 AM »
Artigiano,

It is a very general question thus I'll give you a general answer.

It could be due your flour and/or your mixing technique and/or your ball forming technique and/or how long you let it rest before using as well as a very high quantity of salt.

Ciao

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 05:48:25 PM »
Marco can you get me the address to donna margherita, I will be in London a couple of times in August.

thank you,
-JP-

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 03:38:22 AM »
www.donna-margherita.com

I will be on holiday in the last two weeks of August, but if you happen to be around before that, I would be happy to join you for a pizza.

Ciao

pizzapan