Author Topic: Pizza stone made of soapstone.  (Read 520 times)

Online nick57

• Supporting Member

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza stone made of soapstone.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
FWIIW, I'm not a fan of soapstone for most pizza makers.  It takes 50% longer to heat up, tends to crack, and doesn't bake any better than cordierite.  You can do a quick search and find a lot of posts/information on soapstone in this forum.

My experience is shown here.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11543.msg108682#msg108682

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11543.msg108775#msg108775

Dave

Online TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »
 ^^^
I bought a 18 x 20" 40+ pound SoapStone. Agree it can work with +1hour pre heat. I was not really cutting down on the bake time so I bought the same size of 1/2" A36 steel.  It preheats in far less time, takes up less space in the oven, and produces shorter bake times with better results.  The Scott123 Steel Buyers Guide was not available at the time I bought Soapstone and I had not read all of Mary Ann' threads on the subject.  Had I done so I would have skipped Soapstone and gone straight to steel. I attached a pic of both in the oven. Something I no longer do.
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
I've seen some posts on steel plates, and you guys have confirmed my thoughts about steel vs stone. I just got a new stove and it will accept an 18" stone/plate. So, I think that is the direction I am leaning towards. The new larger stove gives me the excuse to shell out some dough... er money and give steel a try. Thanks for informative advice!!

pizzapan