Author Topic: Braided corniche  (Read 1112 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
Braided corniche
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
I had this pizza at a placed called Grecian Pizza. It was like all pizza "even when it's bad it's still good." The crust was too bland though. Kinda seems like they could do this technique on a better dough and it'd be pretty cool.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Braided corniche
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 03:38:54 PM »
Definitely not cracker style.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »
Definitely not cracker style.

It tasted like a cracker and was dry. I'm calling it a cracker, but who am I to say. Takes a cracker to know one.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:05:07 AM »
Looks like fortune cookies.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:06 AM »
I'll go with that. Fortune cookies are the cracker of the cookie world. I always thought it was weird how animal cookies are called animal crackers.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
Looks like they are shooting for a fancy NY style. You say the bottom was crunchy though?

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »
This was in Tennessee. They don't think about New York or NY pizza. A lot of people make it their own and frown on things more authentic. That said I'd say it wasn't a pita chip but it was super dry and thin. Those two things only happen in cracker style in my experience, it had to be a 40% hydration rate. I understand if people who like this style think its not, but I was there and ate it. I don't know what else to call it, definitely not a bar pizza. Its really like one of those crappy DiGiorno faux fancy thin crusts, honestly.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
Cracker or not I'm more interested in figuring out how they achieved that cornice, was the pie one solid piece of dough or did it look like they added a twisted piece of dough around their pie?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:05:07 PM by chasenpse »
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »
I think it was a solid piece. It stood up well. I can't imagine it would hold itself if added as a separate piece. It does look confusing though like you said.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
The more I look at it the more I think it could have been done by pressing something down at an angle into the cornice once the dough was opened up and letting the oven spring do it's magic to really bring the pattern out, going to have to try it out on my next pie.
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »
I saw a guy on the Travel channel do this pie. He did a folding technique on the edge of the pie to achieve the look. This was their claim to fame for their unique crust.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
There is a place in the Chicago area called Barnaby's that is well known for its braided rim:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-j1P3Tp9x6NE/UBXbHOOUr9I/AAAAAAAAEiI/0zKPDQCTuKk/s1600/phone+005.jpg

A search of the forum using the Barnaby's name will turn up many posts.

Peter

Offline gnomad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »
The show I saw with a braided crust was from bo jos (wrong spelling) in colorodo.  I know there's a clip online somewhere showing them braiding the crust.   They called the style a mountain pie.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »
Thanks for the tip Peter, I'll have to search around. I did a quick google search for braided pizza and found this, looks like the same technique.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 10:55:17 AM »
Braided rim would be better if they loaded it with garlic, parm and herbs.  Tried some at a place near chi and it was bland as well.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
Dough braiding is easy to do but it's going to give that rim a softer texture than rest of pizza and that is probably why Ryan was saying it's not a cracker.
Nate's right, put some cheese and herbs in that dude. Pizza Hut will prolly sell you one like that.  ;D

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline gnomad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »
At the colorodo chain that does this, they serve honey on the tables.  The idea being saving the cornicone for a desert with the honey.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 10:24:03 PM »
At the colorodo chain that does this, they serve honey on the tables.  The idea being saving the cornicone for a desert with the honey.
That's kinda smart/nice.
I'd rather dip 'em in some warm marinara though.

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 11:30:57 PM »
Braided edges are pretty good ( at least to me with a good dough formulation).  You need about 1.5" to make one.  One hand - thumb and index finger grab the dough, pull and twist. The other hand - thumb and index hold the twist you just made.  Move around the rim a twist at a time.  I use these for sealing a Double Decker and at times to make the edge on a thin look fancy I suppose ( my kids don't like it)....

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »
Braided edges are pretty good ( at least to me with a good dough formulation).  You need about 1.5" to make one.  One hand - thumb and index finger grab the dough, pull and twist. The other hand - thumb and index hold the twist you just made.  Move around the rim a twist at a time.  I use these for sealing a Double Decker and at times to make the edge on a thin look fancy I suppose ( my kids don't like it)....

When are Chicago Bob and I coming over for dinner?  Name the time we'll be there.  I'll bring the quarter barrel :).  Gonna need lots of liquid after I scarf down your perfect Giordano's stuffed pie.  Best clone I've seen on the entire internet!

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.