Author Topic: Pizza Margherita  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Pizza Margherita
« on: April 06, 2004, 10:55:50 AM »
Classic Neapolitan Pizza Dough

• 1/2 cake compressed fresh yeast
  • 2 cups warm water, 80-90 degrees
  • 6-1/2 to 7 cups Italian "00" flour
  • 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons sea salt
(Note: use 5-1/2 to 6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus 1 cup pastry flour to approximate "00" flour)

Yield: dough for 6 10-inch pizzas

In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir the yeast into the warm water until it dissolves. Add the pastry flour and the salt and mix well. Add the all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time, kneading until the dough is not sticky, about 10 minutes. Continue to knead for about 20 minutes longer, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.

For the first rising, shape the dough into a ball and leave it in the mixer or place it on a lightly floured work surface. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place, with a temperature of about 75 degrees, for 4 hours.

Punch the dough down and divide it into 6 pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Cover with a towel and let rise in the warm, draft-free place for 2 to 4 hours until doubled.

Pizza Margherita

• 7 ounces fresh tomatoes coarsely chopped or 7 ounces canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
  • 12 ounces mozzarella di bufala (or fresh mozzarella) cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • Sea salt to taste
  • 25 to 30 fresh basil leaves
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Yield: 6 10-inch pizzas

Preheat a wood-burning oven to 750F (preheat home oven to 500F degrees for 30 minutes or up to an hour).

Pat and then stretch each ball of dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch, leaving outer edge cornicione, or slightly thicker. Each round will be about 10 inches in diameter. Place the rounds on a flour-dusted pizza paddle. Place some of the tomatoes in the center of each dough round and with a circular motion, spread them over the round, leaving a 1/2-inch rim. Distribute mozzarella evenly over the surface of the tomatoes. Sprinkle each pizza with sea salt and top with 2 or 3 leaves of basil. Drizzle olive oil in a spiral motion from the centers to the outer edges.

Slide each assembled pizza onto the pizza stone and bake for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven, top each pizza with the remaining basil leaves and serve at once.

Adapted from ''Pizza Napoletana'' by Pamela Sheldon Johns
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 11:17:08 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Pizza Margherita
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 11:03:37 AM »
The above recipe is what I made for my guests the other day. I also made some standard NY style pizzas. Everyone clearly liked the Pizza Margherita better!

Some notes:

• I halved the above recipe, making only three pizzas.
  • I used King Arthur Italian "00" flour.
  • I used mozzarella di bufala for one pizza ($9.00 for a small 7 oz. ball), I used Polly-O whole milk mozzarella for the others. Everyone liked the Polly-O better (the fresh mozzeralla turned very watery on top of the pizza).
  • My home oven, coaxed up to 550F, could not cook the pizzas in the recommended 1-1/2 minute cooking time, instead the pizzas took five minutes and the cheese started overcooking before the crust browned. My Pizza Bella oven would be perfect for this pizza, but I still need to work on my technique with that oven.
  • I used San Marzano canned tomatoes. Very good!
I'll be making this pizza much more often now that I know how good it really is!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 11:06:28 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 12:31:59 PM »
I have really started to enjoy this style it is easy and fun when you have small kids.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 01:53:49 PM »
I hope to try Peter Rhienhart's version next week.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 02:42:22 PM »
I just ordered Peter's book today.  8)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 03:32:57 PM »
I look forward to your test with the Pizza-Bella.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 05:12:35 PM »
I hope to try Peter Rhienhart's version next week.

Randy

That's the version I started with.  I think you will really like it.  Once we have all tried maybe we can start sharing notes.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan