Author Topic: How is my starter doing?  (Read 350 times)

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
How is my starter doing?
« on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:51 AM »
Hi guys,

Day number 7. (Generally) been keeping the 12 hour regime, although I stopped to 24 hours after 5 days when I thought it was active enough (It wasn't)... I am now back to 12 hourly feeding though.

This was after 4.5 hours today. I am a little worried it may be a little too acidic, but I don't want to wash it unless I have to.. Because there is obviously activity it's just that after its done expanding it does have an nail polish remover like smell to it. Immediately after feeding it is pleasant. This was with 200 grams of starter, fed 100 grams of water, 100 grams of plain flour.

Should I stick to the same game plan? I am very excited as this is my 2nd attempt at Ischia and I am desperate to make it happen. I have the backup in the background which is 100 grams of starter fed 50g flour 50g water.

How does my feeding regime look? Only because this is what I garnered off the forum, although everyone else on the web generally uses equal parts starter flour and water. Which for me would represent 200 grams of everything.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:12:52 AM by Totti »

Online JD

• Supporting Member
Re: How is my starter doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:07:20 AM »
If you are using a 50/50 ratio to feed, at some point your starter will peak as early as 2-4hours. 12 hours then, becomes far too long in between feedings. You should easily be able to double or triple in volume within 4 hours, and that is when you should feed again. Do this a couple times and you'll have a very healthy starter, and you can decide whether to maintain it at room temp using frequent feedings, or in the refrigerator with less frequent feedings.
Josh

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »
If you are using a 50/50 ratio to feed, at some point your starter will peak as early as 2-4hours. 12 hours then, becomes far too long in between feedings. You should easily be able to double or triple in volume within 4 hours, and that is when you should feed again. Do this a couple times and you'll have a very healthy starter, and you can decide whether to maintain it at room temp using frequent feedings, or in the refrigerator with less frequent feedings.

I wouldnt really classifiy that starter as having doubled yet, and that is my dilemma. I made the mistake of potentially not discarding enough early on, coupled with slightly cooler temperatures, and I am having a hard time deciding if it is

a) active enough
b) too acidic
c) requiring a washing
d) needs more time
e) feeding rations are wrong

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 06:18:29 PM »
I vote e. If your hydration is too high, it will not rise as much. Also if your ratio's have been incorrect from the start, it may be sluggish to get going.

You should be using (for example) 50 grams flour, 50 grams water & 100 grams old starter.  You should pretty easily blow the top off that mason jar if your black line is the starting point after a feeding.

Josh

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
I vote e. If your hydration is too high, it will not rise as much. Also if your ratio's have been incorrect from the start, it may be sluggish to get going.

You should be using (for example) 50 grams flour, 50 grams water & 100 grams old starter.  You should pretty easily blow the top off that mason jar if your black line is the starting point after a feeding.

Forgive me, but I don't quite understand. My ratio is exactly the same as yours? 200 grams starter, 100 grams flour, 100 grams water is the same is yours, just 2x.

It is rising to what that photo shows now after 2-3 hours also.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »
Forgive me, but I don't quite understand. My ratio is exactly the same as yours? 200 grams starter, 100 grams flour, 100 grams water is the same is yours, just 2x.

It is rising to what that photo shows now after 2-3 hours also.

Then you're doing good  :)   Just start refreshing sooner than 12 hours, don't be stuck on following a strict regime, but instead look at what your starter is doing. Your goal is for your starter to reach it's highest point by 4 hours or so at low 70* temperatures.

Josh

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:54 AM »
First lot happening tomorrow night. Man it smells good now! Much better and not a slight whiff of alcohol or nail polish remover.