Author Topic: BlackStone or Home Oven for making a pizza  (Read 1541 times)

Offline johnnytuinals

BlackStone or Home Oven for making a pizza
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »
For the past few years I have loved making pizza in my oven at 500 - 525 temp
with my pizza stone with Grande Cheese

Bought a BlackStone pizza grill and have used it a few time already
Seems that I have burnt the bottom of my pies 99% of the time (Not Good}
Yep I know you need to play around with the blackstone and the temp abitsss.

My question
Have many if any went back to the oven too cook your pizza or is the BlackStone
the best thing that ever has came out to make the best pizza?
Myself I am thinking of going back too the oven since all my pies have always came out great.
Thought with the BlackStone and a higher temp that it would make a better cooked pizza then the oven.
What are your thoughts???? JT

Online slybarman

Re: BlackStone or Home Oven for making a pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
Home oven would be going backwards. I used it once in the dead of winter - pies were no where near as good. Maybe if you have mastered baking steel and broiler . . .

Preheat takes a lot more time too and it puts way too much heat into the house in the summer.

Blackstone FTW!

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »
I also agree that pre heating a oven would take a lot longer (60 Mins} and
also agree that the kitchen would get warmer in the summer time.

But still the blackStone can make a pizza faster or have it on high
and have a pizza in 60 seconds but burnt.
I think it takes a lot longer to find the right way to cook with the blackstone........JT

Online slybarman

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
Are you checking your stone temp before launch? What temps are you launching at? I assume you are doing NY style or american.

Offline pizzabill

• Pizza Maker's journal
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:25:15 PM »
Until last weekend I was concerned about trying anything other than high-heat pies in my blackstone. For the first month or so I was making 12 inch pizzas at 800+ temps and having great results. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that the Blackstone was not well suited for large, lower temp, American style pies that I had been producing in my home oven for years.

Last weekend I tested this theory by using my old standby dough recipe in large dough balls (about 500 grams). I bought a huge 16 inch peel so I could stretch some big pies for the blackstone. I dialed the flame back and launched the first pie when the lower stone was about 550 degrees using my IR thermometer. It baked for over three minutes. The cheese melted great (but didn't really brown) and the crust was just starting to char. I had no bottom burn. It worked beautifully!!

There are a few things I would do to make sure your set to bake longer in the blackstone:

1. Place spacer washers between the bottom stone and the rotating tray. This does actually make a difference. My pies were unevenly baking until I did this (my stone sits about 1/2 inch above the oven opening).

2. Get an IR thermometer and really watch the lower stone temp. I noticed that above 700 I'm in danger of bottom burning. Launch the pie between 500 and 650 degrees if you are making American pizza style.

3. Watch for excess flour on your bottom. I had a few taste burnt and it turned out to be that I had way too much flour on the peel. I started using just enough to keep the pie from sticking and no more. I also scrape/brush the stone between pizzas. dry flour burns fast in the blackstone.

Upload some pictures of your char when you have time - we may get some clues from seeing what you are getting out of the oven.

Pizza Maker's Journal -
http://www.PizzaManiac.com/

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
In my MPO I use different flour depending on what temperature I am baking at:

Bread flour for 650f or less

All purpose flour for 650 to 800f

Caputo red bag for over 800f

Bread flour will burn very easily when baked at high temperature.
Bert,

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
I think it takes a lot longer to find the right way to cook with the blackstone........JT

Sounds like you already know the real answer to your question   :)
Josh

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »
johnny, some have had great results with the BS out of the box, others have had a play around a little more. If you are getting burning before the top is melted, you need to look at either lowering the bottom stone temp at launch, raising the stone a little so there is more top heat, or making sure there is no excess flour on the stone, which can burn very quickly.  The home oven is not a step backward, it is a football field backward.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »
The dough formulation might also be an issue, particularly if the dough formulation calls for a lot of sugar.

Peter

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »
I have been buying Frozen doughballs by the case from Lamonica in Brooklyn that I get from my local distributor.
I use Corn Meal for the bottom of my pizza
I used a Ir gun and had a temp of 675 and still burnt the bottom a few days ago.
Think tomorrow I will keep the temp lower at around 550 -575 and leave the flame on low
and see what happens...

Here is my 2nd pie with med temp (kinda high since I could not get a temp setting on the IR gun}

Here is a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InPTV7OQTJ8
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:21:17 PM by johnnytuinals »

Online slybarman

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »
Swap semolina for the corn meal. Less prone to burning.

Stone temp is too high and you are turning the flame way down at launch and killing off your top heat. Don't preheat the stone as much and leave your flame at medium, medium high during the bake.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:29:45 PM by slybarman »

Offline halfprice

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
Im no expert at all but from the video it looks like you have way to much flour under the pizza and on the stone. The first time you moved the pizza to reposition the area uncovered was black from what I assuse to burnt flour

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:56 PM »
That makes lots of sense
How long should I pre heat the stones
Should I just turn the flame on Med - high and bake the pizza before before the stone gets too hot.
Of maybe keep the Flame on very low so the stone does not get too hot (550 -575 degrees}
and then bake the pie.thanks .JT

Online slybarman

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
Im no expert at all but from the video it looks like you have way to much flour under the pizza and on the stone. The first time you moved the pizza to reposition the area uncovered was black from what I assuse to burnt flour

I didn't catch that the first time, but I think you are right on that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:48:26 PM by slybarman »

Online slybarman

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 10:44:46 PM »
That makes lots of sense
How long should I pre heat the stones
Should I just turn the flame on Med - high and bake the pizza before before the stone gets too hot.
Of maybe keep the Flame on very low so the stone does not get too hot (550 -575 degrees}
and then bake the pie.thanks .JT

I would preheat at medium high and launch at 425 - 450 on the bs thermometer and keep the burner at medium high. IIRC from the other night, 450 on the BS thermometer was about 650 on my stone.

Also try semolina and less of it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:58:05 PM by slybarman »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 11:47:44 PM »
Next time you bake, post a picture of an underside that you consider burnt.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BVdog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »
I have not burned one yet (other problems ) preheat 325-375..BS thermometer ..IR Max 600...once cooking IR to 650

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 07:58:50 AM »
Johnny,

I don't know if this will help you or not, but these are some bakes in my BS for NY pizzas at Reply 90 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg270577#msg270577  Some more at Reply 125 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg272403#msg272403 and the next few posts.  Another bake at Reply 173 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg276800#msg276800  Some made at market at Reply 198 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg279105#msg279105  I think there are other ones, but the links usually show what temperature I used, or what I might have done when trying NY pizzas in my BS.  I really like the BS for making NY pizzas.  When I find more time I will try some other formulations.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online slybarman

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »
Norma - are those IR temps of your stone or off the bs gauge? I'm an guessing IR.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »
Norma - are those IR temps of your stone or off the bs gauge? I'm an guessing IR.

Steve,

Those temperatures were taken with my IR gun.  I never rely on the temperature the BS gauge shows.  I usually heat to a higher temperature and then wait until the stone settles to what temperature I want to bake at.  I learned that if I thought I had the right temperature I wanted to try, and went inside to open a dough ball and then dress the pizza, until I got outside again the temperature on the stone was too high.  I did get some bottom crusts that were too dark when doing it that way.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!