Author Topic: BlackStone or Home Oven for making a pizza  (Read 1974 times)

Offline slybarman

Re: BlackStone or Home Oven for making a pizza
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 09:14:29 AM »
Thanks Norma. If I understand correctly, this fellow does not have an IR gun and is relying on the BS gauge. I just wanted him to be clear you weren't launching at 600+ on the BS gauge. That definitely would not resolve bottom charing.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »
Thanks Norma. If I understand correctly, this fellow does not have an IR gun and is relying on the BS gauge. I just wanted him to be clear you weren't launching at 600+ on the BS gauge. That definitely would not resolve bottom charing.

Steve,

I think almost all members would recommend that Johnny purchases an IR gun for his BS.  I know you made good recommendations for Johnny to try.  I also think his choice of peel flour might be contributing to his burnt bottom crusts.  Any regular flour seems to work okay for me as a peel flour.  I agree that launching at 600+  on the BS gauge would not resolve bottom charring.   :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline slybarman

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 10:26:14 AM »
Steve,

I think almost all members would recommend that Johnny purchases an IR gun for his BS. 

+1000!

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »
I never said I used the BlackStone temp
I have been using a IR too see what the temp is.....JT

Offline slybarman

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 01:24:48 PM »
OK. My bad. Got confused then on that point.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:14 PM »
Here is the Pie I made today
Started the grill at lowest setting (got the stone too 600 temp}
Put the pie in and waited 3 plus mins too see what the bottom of the pie looked like.
Then turned the Temp to medium for the last Min to get top more cooked
But 5 mins seems kinda long in making a pie?.......JT

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 09:40:54 PM »
Johnny, you are getting closer.   I would get the bottom stone to around 600- 625 .  Launch the pie and turn the knob up to a medium.  Mine cook anywhere from 1:50 to 2:25.   Another thing to consider is how high is the platter above the front opening?  It looks okay, but from your results, you may want to raise it a bit.  IIRC, mine is about 5/8 inches from the top of the front opening to the bottom of the platter the pizza stone sits on.   If you are going to be doing a number of pies, as Norma says, you have to be careful because every time you go back in the house for a few minutes, you can have the stone temp rise.  Eventually, you should find a setting on the dial that keeps the stone in the right temp range  ( say 575 to 640 )  as you keep loading pies and taking them off.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 09:42:22 PM »
Here is the Pie I made today
Started the grill at lowest setting (got the stone too 600 temp}
Put the pie in and waited 3 plus mins too see what the bottom of the pie looked like.
Then turned the Temp to medium for the last Min to get top more cooked
But 5 mins seems kinda long in making a pie?.......JT

It's all about balancing top and bottom heat. Your stone was still a little on the low side and you didn't have the burner up, so yeah, you are going to get a five minute bake.

Get the stone to 650-675 and keep the burner going med-high and you will get a 3 minute bake.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
  Eventually, you should find a setting on the dial that keeps the stone in the right temp range  ( say 575 to 640 )  as you keep loading pies and taking them off.

LOL, I think that setting is mythical - like unicorns and honest politicians.

Offline halfprice

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »
Depending on the type of flour and hydration of the dough I don't think 5 minutes is long.   I think you could have pulled tgat pie off a little sooner.   I am mixing my 00 with ap so I can do a longer cook at 600. Wife hates anything burnt and the higher temps 800 burns the toppings.  So to avoid getting yelled at I now stick with 600

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »

LOL, I think that setting is mythical - like unicorns and honest politicians.

Once, I saw a politician with only one horn...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »
Well my Second pie was done in 2 plus mins about 2 weeks ago (look at video}
but the bottom was burnt
At least this pie was not bad since I don't make my dough balls and
buy them by the case (55 frozen dough balls}from Lamonicas from my
distributor.....
But will try 650 next pie..........Thanks allllll....JT

Offline slybarman

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 05:23:05 AM »
Well my Second pie was done in 2 plus mins about 2 weeks ago (look at video}
but the bottom was burnt
At least this pie was not bad since I don't make my dough balls and
buy them by the case (55 frozen dough balls}from Lamonicas from my
distributor.....
But will try 650 next pie..........Thanks allllll....JT

It was "done" in 2.5 minutes because you were waiting for the top to look done - but you had turned the burner way down. The bottom of the pie was obviously done well before that. You had bottom heat for a 1.5 minute bake and top heat of a 2.5 minute bake. Find the balance.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 08:46:03 AM »
It was "done" in 2.5 minutes because you were waiting for the top to look done - but you had turned the burner way down. The bottom of the pie was obviously done well before that. You had bottom heat for a 1.5 minute bake and top heat of a 2.5 minute bake. Find the balance.
I think the key for you, johnny, is to realize that turning the flame up bakes the top of the pie and not the bottom (at least in the short term).  Use a peel to monitor the underside bake, and when it is getting close to being done, turn up the flame to finish the top.

Some people like neo bakes in the 1-2 minute range, use 00 flour, launch with a stone at 800F +/-, and turn the flame on high shortly after launching the pie (5psi regulator).  The 10psi crew may have more success with waiting 30 seconds or more before high heat.  It is a trial and error thing based on your setup and preference.  Chauflectors, working the edge into the flame, and washers are among the tweaks to tune the result.
Dave 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 09:19:22 AM »
Johnny,

Other members are giving you good advice at what temperatures to start your NY pizzas with and then turning the heat up to finish the pizzas.  I used a Ischia sourdough NY style dough at 498 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg303158#msg303158 with no sugar in the formulation, but with oil.  For that NY style sourdough pizza I loaded at 631 degrees F, let the dough set for about a mintue and then turned the flame up.  Using a peel like Tampa mentioned. or using a spauta, to monitor the bottom crust is a good idea.  A screen could also be slipped under the pizza if the bottom seems to be baking too fast.  It just takes a little experimenting to make good NY style pizzas in a BS. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tonio

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
I think the key for you, johnny, is to realize that turning the flame up bakes the top of the pie and not the bottom (at least in the short term).  Use a peel to monitor the underside bake, and when it is getting close to being done, turn up the flame to finish the top.

Some people like neo bakes in the 1-2 minute range, use 00 flour, launch with a stone at 800F +/-, and turn the flame on high shortly after launching the pie (5psi regulator).  The 10psi crew may have more success with waiting 30 seconds or more before high heat.  It is a trial and error thing based on your setup and preference.  Chauflectors, working the edge into the flame, and washers are among the tweaks to tune the result.
Dave

Thanks for that Dave,
I was looking for the 5psi vs10psi difference information.  Tweeked the height of the panel and got a IR therm check the temp readings to adjust the flame level. Will see how it goes this weekend.

T

Offline dmwierz45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »
Back to the original question, I've made pizza in a home oven for years, recently one that goes to 500F. I bought a BS a month ago, and have baked something like 5 or 6 pies. While I'm still learning how to use the BS, even my worst pizza in the BS was FAR superior to anything I've made in a home oven. FAR.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 09:37:49 AM »
Johnny, the Blackstone temp. gauge is useful even though the temperatures shown are bunk.  On my oven, I know the bottom stone is about ready when the temp. gauge is just about straight up (around 375 on the dial). If it's much over 400 the bottom usually burns if I'm using a flour with malt in it.  From the video you posted it looks like your oven temp is a bit high based on the position of the BS thermometer gauge.

With the IR thermometer, I try to shoot for a floor temp. of about 625 to 650 and an upper stone temp of 650 to 675 or so. I try not to go over 650 on the floor for a 3.5 to 4 min pizza.  I find that relatively slow preheating over a 20 minute period works better that very fast preheating in 10 min or less, since the stone temp seems to be more even with the slower preheat. 

I have an ongoing and very spirited debate with my daughter about the BS oven. She really does not like the BS oven and much prefers pizzas baked at 550F in the home oven. She feels the BS oven pizzas are "burned" whereas I feel they are far superior to the home oven pizzas. It seems that even at the relatively lower temps mentioned above, the BS oven gives a texture to the surface of the pizza that some people (like my daughter) really don't like. On the other hand, other people (like myself and several friends and neighbors of mine) find the pizzas coming out of the BS to be fantastic and far superior to the home oven.  So maybe it's just a question of "Vive La Difference!"

In watching your video I think I saw flames erupting from the pizza itself or the floor (or maybe the front opening of the oven), which I don't think has ever happened on my BS. The first notice of these flames is at about 1:18 on the video.  From the sound of things you had the flame running pretty low when you baked that pizza so I was kind of surprised when I saw flames jumping right up off the pizza. 

If you post another video be sure to give us a peek at the underside. I'm guessing it was pretty heavily charred based on the look of the sides. 

By the way, your dough looks really good and the spring on the pizza looks really good too, but the bake is unusually uneven compared to my BS, i.e., one side of the pizza is pretty charred while the other side seems much less charred.  If you dial back the temps a bit more I think you will find you are making some really great pizzas on the BS. Just don't invite my daughter over for pizza! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »
Getting the hang with this blackstone
Bottom stone 675 degrees
Top Stone around 900 Degress
Had the lower the temp when putting pizza in oven so the top would not burn before the bottom did.
Pizza came out pretty good........JT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGwJB-Qx45U&feature=youtu.be

Offline Tonio

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2014, 12:05:25 AM »
you shoulda pulled it out quicker. :'(

Once you launch, give it abut 20 seconds, then re center the pie.  do you have a aluminum peel? I can see you're struggling with the wood peel.

Getting there..

T