Author Topic: Bosch Styline Mixers MUM5  (Read 1298 times)

Offline kneader65

Bosch Styline Mixers MUM5
« on: April 23, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »
Has anyone on this forum used a Bosch Styline Mixer(MUM5 series)?If so I am keen to hear about your experience in regards to how it handles  low and high hydration doughs.

Here are are couple of links that provide information about these machines:

http://www.healthykitchens.com/bosch_styline_mum5_kitchen_machine.html

http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/our-products/food-preparation/food-mixers/food-mixers/MUM57830GB.html?source=browse

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Bosch Styline Mixers MUM5
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:22:24 AM »
I use one.  I like it a lot.  It handles both high and low hydration quite well, but what it doesn't handle well is small amounts.  When the amount is too small, it often just pushes the dough up the sides and doesn't mix it at all.  This is only a problem when I am making bread, since I only make a single loaf at a time.  For pizza, I have approximately 1kg of dough in the bowl, and then it performs great.  The dough does tend to ride up the hook, but it will come back down on the sides as more dough pushes up from below, so you can just leave it alone while it works.  But if you want, you can also push it down yourself. 

I don't really know what else to say about it, perhaps if you had some more specific questions I would be able to give better answers :) 

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
Sirrith, can you give the minimum dough weight that you think the mixer kneads properly?
Marty

Offline kneader65

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
Sirrith great to have you on the forum!Many thanks for your feedback. I would appreciate if you could answer the following:

1. What is the smallest and largest batch you can do on this machine either in terms of flour weight or dough weight?

2. In the case of bread dough how long does it take to full gluten development or window pane stage? Also indicate speed

3. How long does it take for the pizza dough? Also indicate speed

4. You mentioned there is dough creep up the hook. Is there a disc on top of the hook like Kitchenaid to push the dough down?

5. Is the performance same for both low hydration (less than 65%) and high hydration dough (above 65%).By performance I mean dough quality, kneading time,strain on the mixer etc.

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:08:52 AM »
I don't know how much help I can be, given that I'm not too experienced a baker, but I'll try my best!

As far as the minimum amount goes, I would say (and I haven't actually tested it, I'm just guessing from my experience with 600g bread dough vs 1kg pizza dough), probably around 800g.  It might also depend on the flours used etc...

I have only used it for up to around 1.5kg, I think it would be able to take more, but I can't say for sure.  Smallest, I would not try to go under 500g using the dough hook.  Using the mixer or whisk, you can go lower but I suppose that would be more appropriate for batters rather than doughs. 

For bread, I mix on speed 1 for about 2 minutes to combine flour and water, then autolyse, add yeast and salt and mix another 3-4 minutes on speed 1, then increase to speed 2 for another 3-4 minutes, although I don't do the windowpane test as it never really works for me.  For the bread dough, because I do small quantities, I have to stand next to the mixer with a spatula/wooden spoon and push the dough back toward the middle frequently.  I'm not sure how this affects the kneading process, but I assume it makes it less efficient, which is why it takes mixing at higher speed to achieve similar results to my pizza dough, which I simply mix on speed 1 for 10 minutes.

I'm not sure what the kitchenaid disc is like, but there is a plastic cap-like thing which prevents the dough from getting inside the machine's mechanism, and at the same time works to deflect the dough.  It doesn't actively push the dough down, it just stops it going any further up so any dough that continues climbing will push the dough that has already reached the top outwards, and then it will fall down under its own weight.

For low hydration dough, the strain is higher on the mixer, you can hear the difference.  I made really high hydration ciabattas once, which required mixing on speed 10 for over 10 minutes (can't remember exactly how long), that definitely put less strain per revolution on the motor than when I make 60% hydration bread/pizza dough.  I'm afraid I'm not experienced enough to tell the difference in quality between when I mix a high hydration dough and a low hydration dough.  Mixing time doesn't really seem to be affected much.  I used to make pizza dough with over 75% hydration, now I do ~60% and I haven't changed my mixing times or speeds at all. 

Offline kneader65

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
Many thanks Sirrith for answering my questions!It appears that the mixer does a reasonable job of pizza and bread dough.It would be interesting to see how it handles whole wheat dough as you mentioned it struggles a bit with low hydration dough.

In regards to capacity range, 800 gm dough is roughly equal to 4 cups of flour (125 gm/cup).So its ability to do small batches is not very impressive.

Sirrith it would be great if you could write a review of your mixer as you gain more experience of using it.I could not find a lot of reviews for this mixer as it is relatively new.Needless to say unbiased reviews are hard to come by!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:35:07 PM by kneader65 »

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »
Many thanks Sirrith for answering my questions!It appears that the mixer does a reasonable job of pizza and bread dough.It would be interesting to see how it handles whole wheat dough as you mentioned it struggles a bit with low hydration dough.

Just to clarify, it doesn't struggle per se, it just makes more noise and creaks a bit more (this mixer does creak quite a bit). It can still power through low hydration dough just fine :)