Author Topic: Bosch Compact capacity for Pizza Dough  (Read 586 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Bosch Compact capacity for Pizza Dough
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
I have the mixer, never more than 1111g, and only once. Now want to do 1650g. Do I need to split in half and do 2 batches?
Anyone use their compact for over 1500g in one mix?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Adrian

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Bosch Compact capacity for Pizza Dough
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:18:44 PM »
Anyone use their compact for over 1500g in one mix?

I did. But with bread dough, that usually has a higher hydration. I have the 400W version and the motor worked just fine.

With a 1kg package of flour, water, seeds... it was a bit full. I had to stand next to it all the time and help freeing the hook and bringing dough back to the "kneading zone". For pizzadough, that tends to climb the hook even more, I'd do it in 2 separate batches. For bread recipes with very view different ingredients I now do the same. As the bowls for this machine cost even less than ordinary bowls of that size, I have more than one and can prepare the second dough while the first is mixing.
With pizza dough having just 4 ingredients (flour, water, salt, starter/yeast) I think it is less work doing 2 batches and not having to supervise the dough while it mixes.

Adrian

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:23:03 PM »
Adrian, thanks. Last time I looked the bowls were expensive, but I am cheap. I bought my mixer used on Ebay.
I think there is no reason not to split the mix. I have decided to not do a bulk ferment so what the hey?

Mark

Offline Adrian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
Adrian, thanks. Last time I looked the bowls were expensive, but I am cheap.

In Germany the 400W version goes for less than 60. The extra bowl now costs about 10.
Together still cheap.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
Mark,  I doubt the motor would be a problem, but it might knock the cover off the bowl a few times and might walk around - but try it out and report back. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 12:26:12 AM »
Mark,  I doubt the motor would be a problem, but it might knock the cover off the bowl a few times and might walk around - but try it out and report back. 

My Bosch is an older model, no cover and 300 W. I split the dough it all worked out fine.

Mark

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
Mark, Sorry, just saw this thread as I don't check in as often as I used to.  I use the Bosch Compact for all my dough, and my standard pizza batch is pretty close to 1650g, depending on hydration.  I do this all the time, and have never had an issue.   Mind you, I just do a mix and initial knead in there, then I let it sit and then do a stretch & fold to get to final smoothness, I don't knead all the way in the machine.  But the Bosch handles that amount of volume fine. 

Offline DanielM

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
Hey Guys,
Hopefully this isn't too off topic. I currently have a KA mixer but was looking for something that would be better for pizza dough. Considering I just blew my wad on a WFO I was looking for something inexpensive otherwise I would make do with my current mixer. I stumbled across these two items for sale on my local Craigslist. Are these mixers similar to the current Bosch compact that you guys are using? One looks pretty old. Both are cheap so I'd be willing to take a chance. This would be used for making small-ish batches of Neapolitan style dough. Typically batches of 1.5kg. Should I nab one of these mixers?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/app/4483407267.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/ele/4476751324.html

Thanks!

Daniel

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »
Dan, stop reading right now and run over to the first place with your money in your hand and start banging on the door and don't stop until you leave with it in hand.  They are not the Compact, they are both Universal's, which is the model prior to the Universal Plus.  The reason I say go running over there is that the first one include the stainless steel bottom hook bowl, which alone can go for $100.   The Universal, Concept, and Universal Plus all come standard with a plastic bowl with  a center column, and the hook runs from above  ( you can see the center column in the photo with the white bowl )  The problem with the center column is that at certain amounts of flour, and certain hydrations, the dough just wraps around the center column and does not get kneaded well.  I have owned a Universal, and it worked well except for that fault.  The Stainless steel bowl with the bottom hook is reputed to avoid that problem, do a search here and you should find some posts.  IMHO,  a Universal with regular bowl and hooks is worth between $100 to $175  ,  with the stainless steel bowl I would be asking at least $200.  They generally last forever, mine was going strong when I sold it.  The main difference, IIRC, between the Universal and the Universal Plus ( aka BUP ) other than styling, is that the BUP has a lower rpm at lowest speed, but otherwise the operation is very similar.

Also, the two extra hooks in the first ad have nothing to do with the bosch, they go with a KA.   If you are looking for a general countertop mixer, you will have to buy the plastic bowl and some hooks and whips for the Bosch Universal, but for kneading dough, including pizza dough, the stainless steel bowl is all you need.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:03:45 PM by barryvabeach »

Offline DanielM

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »
Hi Barry,
Thanks for your speedy reply and valuable information. Just to be absolutely clear I should buy the first one with the stainless bowl right? I have a fully functioning KA mixer that I can use for other tasks. This would just be for mixing dough, primarily pizza dough. One question, is the low speed on this older model adequate for mixing pizza dough or is it too fast?

Thanks again.
Daniel

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 07:14:57 AM »
Daniel,  right, the orange one with the Stainless steel bowl is the one I would get.  The low speed is not as low as a BUP, but will work fine, the dough will just be kneaded quicker.  The BUP has 4 speeds, the orange one has 2, but IIRC, speed one is for mixing dough.  I believe the one we are talking about is referred to as UM-3 or MUM 3.  Jim has a page with scanned copies of the manual for that model  http://cookwithjim.com/vintage-manuals/bosch-universal-um-3-manual/

Offline DanielM

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »
Awesome. Thanks Barry. I'm going to go get this thing today. Thanks for all your help!