Author Topic: Ischia starter question  (Read 290 times)

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
Ischia starter question
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »
I guess its a basic starter question. How long should it be before I put the starter in the fridge? I got the dry starter on Monday night and started everything then. It went alright the first night, obviously its not going to be amazing that soon. Tuesday by end of day it was almost doubled. Then yesterday it went crazy! Should I put it in the fridge now or should I wait and continue the feeding until tomorrow to give it the full 5 days of feeding? I tried for years with disappointment after disappointment to get a starter going on my own and now that I have this one going I want to do all I can to keep it going good, so any insight would be appreciated.

Offline parallei

Re: Ischia starter question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »
I think you've answered your own question!

If your concerned at all, just keep feeding at room temp for a few more days.  It will not harm it at all and it is sort of fun to watch it do its thing.  Mine (or at least a part of it) has been at room temp for the last year or so.

Have fun. ;D

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:13:13 PM »
parallei, thanks for the reply. I want to have so much fun with this stuff but...

Funny story, so I posted this question while at work and was excited to get home and take care my "Baby" a bit more. Thing is I had left the starter in the oven with the light off. I know a little weird place but in AZ with the AC on it can get cold plus we have an ant problem that i can't seem to solve (itty bitty things show up randomly on the counter). So i didn't want to leave it on the counter. Come home to find my wife cooking dinner and i hear the hum of the oven  :(

Talk about disappointment again. Long story short, I may have saved some, it wasn't fully cooked through so I salvaged the liquidy stuff and fed it. So time will tell. On a good note i didn't use all my starter powder when i made this so I have a "backup". I will keep you posted.

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »
 :-D i think about this happening every time i put starter/dough in the oven.
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »
Good news, from the salvaged "liquidy" stuff, I was able to revive it.  :D It wasn't all dead which is great news. At the moment its sitting on the counter being happy and bubbly. Plus I am drying a bit and gonna store it for next time just in case something weird like this happens again.

I will have to get a magnet now that says "Starter/Dough in Oven!" or something for next time. Although there may not be a "next time" for the starter.