Author Topic: in your WFO, floor temp or air temp?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Re: in your WFO, floor temp or air temp?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »
This is an interesting view point.  What are you saying, that everyone that used a wood oven in the past had a personal teacher?   It's likely family members that used them passed thief knowledge down, but I doubt everyone had instruction....and even less access to information than today.

If you have no family member to show you, you learn from your mistakes  :-D
Back then when you burnt the entire batch of bread that was to last the entire week, I am sure you only made that mistake once  :'(

If you were an apprentice you would get a good kick in the rear. Just like when I went to culinary school. Never burnt croutons twice  :-D

Just looking at the thread of shame, we all learn from our mistakes. We even make the same mistake twice at times  :-[

Now we just run to the store or restaurant to replace what we massed-up. How spoiled are we   ::) or lucky!
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »

Just looking at the thread of shame, we all learn from our mistakes. We even make the same mistake twice at times  :-[

That thread is awesome.  I wish I had taken pics of a few of my greatest fails.  An unintentional calzone which burst into flame.  Another pie I launched and then completely forgot about because I got side tracked, and I took it out of the oven on fire, and black as charcoal.  Classic stuff...I need to keep my phone handy next time.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 12:45:46 AM »
This is an interesting view point........ It's likely family members that used them passed their  knowledge down, but I doubt everyone had instruction..

I contend that family members passing on their knowledge is instruction. Yes, at some time there was probably the 1st, who learned by error, but I bet the vast majority learned their craft from someone else.
No matter. This thread was about measuring oven temps.
Have a good pizza weekend!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 07:08:23 AM »
I wish I was having a pizza weekend...maybe next week!   The point is, the more you use your oven, the less you will rely on gadgets.  IR guns put new users ahead if the learning curve for sure.  But experience  is the best teacher.

But to echo some of the other earlier posts, I don't see the value of measuring air temperature and don't see how it could be done with an IR gun aimed through the oven opening....the atmosphere is too dynamic inside for a real reading. 

http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

pizzapan