Author Topic: Papa Johns Garlic Dipping Sauce  (Read 12423 times)

Offline TheShaner

Papa Johns Garlic Dipping Sauce
« on: May 29, 2006, 10:44:16 PM »
Do any of you know of a decent copy of Papa Johns Garlic Dipping sauce?  I have seen tons of recipes listed out there, but they are all just garlic and butter, and just dont seem to taste PJ's.

Offline bdcbbq

• I Love Pizza!
    • Brisket Dog BBQ
Re: Papa Johns Garlic Dipping Sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 07:25:36 AM »
I doubt if its butter. You might try margarine or a butter-type spread and garlic.
Bruce
bruce@bdbbq.com
Brisket Dog BBQ

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list

Offline leslauber

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 05:02:14 PM »
Have you tried the version published in Todd Wilbur's Even More Top Secret Recipes?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »
Have you tried the version in this link?  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,994.0.html     It is just margarine and garlic powder --  the key might be trying different brands of margarine.   

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 04:57:52 AM »
If I was gonna make some I would buy some of that "squirtable" margarine and then add "garlic SALT" to it (to taste). That stuff is real salty. Thats why it tastes so good. :chef:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 11:12:34 AM »
I got a buddy who works at PJ's he told me the garlic dip is butter flavored oil and garlic powder. You can make butter flavored oil by microwaving some margarine then spoon off the oil that is floating on top of the salted water. 8)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 01:28:28 PM »
If you can find it, butter flavored popcorn oil is a better substitute for the skimmed margarine. It dosen't have any water which will reduced the chances of a soggy crust. Another substitute is oil based butter flavoring that is stocked with the extracts, you would need to dilute it with corn oil and add garlic salt instead of the garlic powder.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 11:41:05 PM »
Do any of you know of a decent copy of Papa Johns Garlic Dipping sauce?  I have seen tons of recipes listed out there, but they are all just garlic and butter, and just dont seem to taste PJ's.

you should be able to easily enjoy something that tastes like real butter, no?  the first time i tasted that it sure didn't taste too natural.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 09:25:08 AM »

Why, God, Why?!!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 10:17:59 AM »
Why, God, Why?!!!

Jeff,

LOL. If you scan the indexes on this forum you will see that the most popular threads are those that try to replicate the products (pizzas, sauces, etc.) of others, and most notably the big chains. This shouldn't come as a surprise since very few people make their own pizzas at home and, for many, all they know are the products put out by the big chains. Over time, they become "anchored" to those products through conditioning and, for them, they become the standards against which all other products are compared. As it so happens, the PJ garlic dipping sauce is one that many people treasure, and for some, it is considered one of the best products that PJ offers. Because of that, other pizza operators try to replicate the sauce all the time to be able to offer it to their own customers.

Peter

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 10:32:36 AM »
Jeff,

LOL. If you scan the indexes on this forum you will see that the most popular threads are those that try to replicate the products (pizzas, sauces, etc.) of others, and most notably the big chains. This shouldn't come as a surprise since very few people make their own pizzas at home and, for many, all they know are the products put out by the big chains. Over time, they become "anchored" to those products through conditioning and, for them, they become the standards against which all other products are compared. As it so happens, the PJ garlic dipping sauce is one that many people treasure, and for some, it is considered one of the best products that PJ offers. Because of that, other pizza operators try to replicate the sauce all the time to be able to offer it to their own customers.

Peter

oh Pete, I do agree with getting programmed and brainwashed...  for example we say go make a 'xerox' copy... but xerox is a brand... go make a photocopy is more appropriate but since xerox invented the photocopy machine... well you where i'm going.  'Google it' is another one.  But back to foods, when i was growing up you had to have a certain toothpaste, a certain orange juice brand... these days... i jump from one brand to the next which ever one is on sale when it comes to these simple consumer products.

other little things, like mayonnaise or ketchup or worcestershire or Tabasco sauce, i continue to be very selective though.

back to the PJ garlic dip... i thought i remember seeing that ingredient list... i was like this has got to have hydrogenated vegetable oil etc...
some things yes, but i find it hard to get 'programmed' into a specific dipping sauce that has a oil component when a fresh garlic and butter, or even a olive oil and garlic dip, so readily exists around the world in restaurants and homes.

this was my attempt to deprogram the original poster.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 03:48:39 PM »
Well, if it's ok, I'm still waiting for God's reply. Does he check the board often?

Try this, it couldn't be easier. Chop 1 clove fresh garlic an put it in about 2-3 tablespoons of good, fruity, green olive oil with some salt, fresh ground pepper, red pepper flakes and oregano crush by hand). Let it sit out for a day. This should be pretty easy to get addicted to, provided you don't have a hot date.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 04:04:02 PM »
Sorry Jeff,that wont cut it..................it lacks certain required ingredients:

high fructose syrup,Oleoresin,sorbic acid,calcium disodium,modified food starch,xanthan gum,dehydrated vegetable flavourings,artificial coloring red 6,msg............

no problem,Peter can reverse engineer it and come up with the correct viscocity by this afternoon. :-D

If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 10:25:46 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

My eyes are watering!

Thanks for the entertainment. I think I missed this board while on vacation this week.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 05:22:11 PM »
Hmmm.  I thought that stuff was pretty disgusting.  :-X  But personal tastes vary quite a bit!  I've only eaten at a Papa John's once, and that was 3-4 months ago. I don't remember much in particular about the texture and more subtle flavors of the sauce, but one thing regarding the flavor did stick with me:

My suggestion for making the stuff, for a start, would be to get some Orville Redenbacher's butter flavored oil, then gently boil 8-9 crushed cloves of garlic in a half cup of it for a few minutes without browning the garlic. That might give you the particular flavor you're seeking, then you can work it up with a roux (just add flour, whisking for a few minutes, then the other liquids) or other additives like salt, to change it to something other than straight oil.

- Al

« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:47:33 PM by pizzoid »

Offline bbear

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 03:47:55 PM »

melted butter and garlic salt tastes pretty good, but it's a little runny. Maybe adding some corn startch will thicken it up a bit.

Offline Finnegans Wake

• De gustibus non est disputandum.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 04:20:35 PM »
Try this, it couldn't be easier. Chop 1 clove fresh garlic an put it in about 2-3 tablespoons of good, fruity, green olive oil with some salt, fresh ground pepper, red pepper flakes and oregano crush by hand). Let it sit out for a day. This should be pretty easy to get addicted to, provided you don't have a hot date.

Sorry Jeff,that wont cut it..................it lacks certain required ingredients:

high fructose syrup,Oleoresin,sorbic acid,calcium disodium,modified food starch,xanthan gum,dehydrated vegetable flavourings,artificial coloring red 6,msg............

Thank you, Jeff... as I was reading this, my brain was spinning over the unchallenged use of margarine...  Does it make me all PC or something to say margarine is an utter abomination?

David saves the day with his humorous retort...

I just don't understand why anyone wants to copy heart attack fodder.

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. --
Mark Twain

Offline Illiterate

• I Like Pizza! Love Is For Humans.
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 03:33:05 AM »
Why not try  Bagna Calda and leave out the anchovies, or better yet leave them in.

http://www.recipezaar.com/114729

Sam

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »
Not sure if this is exactly like PJ's garlic butter sauce but it's close.  Take some soften butter, add garlic powder, and a bit of olive oil.  The oil prevents the butter from solidifying at room temp.  You now have a delicious garlic butter dipping sauce.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »