Author Topic: my dry culture is activated in less than 1 hour, how is this likely?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
Re: my dry culture is activated in less than 1 hour, how is this likely?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 06:31:24 PM »
Minn,

I also think playing around with starter cultures is an adventure.  Keep feeding yours and let us know what happens.  It is somewhat like having a pet, unless you are storing the culture in the fridge.  I played around with milk kefir for awhile and I like some of those results.

The detailed post where Mmmph told how he started the Moby (Cape Fear) culture is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28020.msg283287#msg283287 I thought that was very interesting how Mmmph happened upon those grapes.  Your idea is good to keep an eye out for some grapes in your area.  It would be nice of you if you shared a culture of China origin. 

What style of pizza do you want to make with your culture?  You are correct that the activation process is only the first step to be able to make different styles of pizzas or breads.  It can get highly technical in how much starter culture to use and how you might try to ferment.  If you use Bill/SFNM in an advanced search you can see all he did with his various sourdough cultures.  At Reply 29 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6957.msg71335#msg71335  Bill explains some of the variables in the process.  There are a lot of sourdough experts here on the forum.  I still have a lot to learn about using different cultures.  I could start listing some of the experts but might miss some of them.  If you want, you can search through the Starter/Sponges board.  You will learn a lot.

Norma

Norma

Thanks million for the encourage and insightful advice. I feel more faith to the culture I am activating with your help, I have been feeding at 12 hour interval basically, will report to you the result. interestingly, the proofing box I bought seems having a UV light, which I didn't notice initially, hope my bacteria is still alive :'(

Surely if I got chance finding any interesting culture here in China, I'd like to share with you and the forum. I will study Mmmph's technique how to brew a culture

My dream is to make neapolitan pizza. I have been studing and baking pizza for a couple of years based on very limited knowledge googled on net. you may know well Chinese cuisin is totally different, therefore, to learn making pizza is such a challenge. but, I think eventually I could make a perfect pizza. recently, I dined in several Italian restaurants in Shanghai, some of the pasta are so good, but, no perfect pizza in my humble opinion. the great pasta are cooked in several occassion by Japanese Chef, I also noticed the world pasta champion in 2012 was awarded to Yoshi Yamada. Japanese are very keen on Italian cuisin, and have great exposure. however, one thing I am pretty sure is the adptation of Japanese technique gives some edge to their Italian dishes. so, hopefully some day I can bring some interesting element in my Neapolitan style pizza. I will keep learning and learning, I enrolled an Italian culineray class this Sept, the teacher comes from Italy, that will be another chance of learning and practise directly with a chef, can't wait

Minn

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »

Norma

Thanks million for the encourage and insightful advice. I feel more faith to the culture I am activating with your help, I have been feeding at 12 hour interval basically, will report to you the result. interestingly, the proofing box I bought seems having a UV light, which I didn't notice initially, hope my bacteria is still alive :'(

Surely if I got chance finding any interesting culture here in China, I'd like to share with you and the forum. I will study Mmmph's technique how to brew a culture

My dream is to make neapolitan pizza. I have been studing and baking pizza for a couple of years based on very limited knowledge googled on net. you may know well Chinese cuisin is totally different, therefore, to learn making pizza is such a challenge. but, I think eventually I could make a perfect pizza. recently, I dined in several Italian restaurants in Shanghai, some of the pasta are so good, but, no perfect pizza in my humble opinion. the great pasta are cooked in several occassion by Japanese Chef, I also noticed the world pasta champion in 2012 was awarded to Yoshi Yamada. Japanese are very keen on Italian cuisin, and have great exposure. however, one thing I am pretty sure is the adptation of Japanese technique gives some edge to their Italian dishes. so, hopefully some day I can bring some interesting element in my Neapolitan style pizza. I will keep learning and learning, I enrolled an Italian culineray class this Sept, the teacher comes from Italy, that will be another chance of learning and practise directly with a chef, can't wait

Minn

Minn,

I would not go by help alone when you are activating your culture.  Do you recall I did kill my Ischia starter.  :-D This is what Craig told me about exposing a culture to UV light at Reply 14 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28766.msg289796#msg289796  You should know if the UV light damaged the culture or not after more feedings.

Since you want to be able to make Neapolitan pizzas you might want to look at Craig's thread at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0  Craig  is a master of Neapolitan pizzas.  I know that because I was at his Pizza Summit II in Austin, TX last year and got to taste his delicious Neapolitan pizzas.  Also he helps other members make Neapolitan pizzas.  He posts all the beautiful pies here on the forum.  He also has a thread about how he makes his Neapolitan dough at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20477.0   

I know Chinese cuisine is totally different and I do really like a lot of it.  I also think eventually you will be able to make a really good Neapolitan sourdough pizza.  It is good you want to learn and also that you enrolled in an Italian culinary class.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 04:13:32 AM »
Minn,

I would not go by help alone when you are activating your culture.  Do you recall I did kill my Ischia starter.  :-D This is what Craig told me about exposing a culture to UV light at Reply 14 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28766.msg289796#msg289796  You should know if the UV light damaged the culture or not after more feedings.

Since you want to be able to make Neapolitan pizzas you might want to look at Craig's thread at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22649.0  Craig  is a master of Neapolitan pizzas.  I know that because I was at his Pizza Summit II in Austin, TX last year and got to taste his delicious Neapolitan pizzas.  Also he helps other members make Neapolitan pizzas.  He posts all the beautiful pies here on the forum.  He also has a thread about how he makes his Neapolitan dough at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20477.0   

I know Chinese cuisine is totally different and I do really like a lot of it.  I also think eventually you will be able to make a really good Neapolitan sourdough pizza.  It is good you want to learn and also that you enrolled in an Italian culinary class.

Norma

Norma

Thank you so much for the reminder, I indeed read your posts regarding UV exposure, and I didn't realise the seriousness till reading your latest response. I openned my jar try to see if any sign of bacteria life still there, I got very strong alcohol smell, it's from faint to stronger and stronger penetrating into my nose, for both jars. I probably will give it another day of chance, if it really has nothing good happenning as Craig said, then I will consider re-doing the activation process, that one will be using ischa culture. activation is the most critical action in my learning schedule.

Thank you also for the information regarding Neapolitan guru Craig, I think it will be my honor to have a talk with him someday. I have so many questions in mind for now regarding hydration level of my dough, and also the color of the dough if it is un-bleached wheat flour. but, I will reserve this till I successfully activate the starter, can not comfortably deal with multiple tasks by now, hehe, silly me. but, I will keep reading his thread you posted in above response. actually I am watching the video of stretching now. thank you so much for the presious information

I really learnt a lot from you, Norma, you are so good people I will not forget, you really helped tons. thank you so much, Norma

Minn

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 08:00:25 AM »

Norma

Thank you so much for the reminder, I indeed read your posts regarding UV exposure, and I didn't realise the seriousness till reading your latest response. I openned my jar try to see if any sign of bacteria life still there, I got very strong alcohol smell, it's from faint to stronger and stronger penetrating into my nose, for both jars. I probably will give it another day of chance, if it really has nothing good happenning as Craig said, then I will consider re-doing the activation process, that one will be using ischa culture. activation is the most critical action in my learning schedule.

Thank you also for the information regarding Neapolitan guru Craig, I think it will be my honor to have a talk with him someday. I have so many questions in mind for now regarding hydration level of my dough, and also the color of the dough if it is un-bleached wheat flour. but, I will reserve this till I successfully activate the starter, can not comfortably deal with multiple tasks by now, hehe, silly me. but, I will keep reading his thread you posted in above response. actually I am watching the video of stretching now. thank you so much for the presious information

I really learnt a lot from you, Norma, you are so good people I will not forget, you really helped tons. thank you so much, Norma

Minn

Minn,

You're welcome anytime, but don't forget I don't fully understand starter cultures myself. 

I had different smells with the Ischia starter too, when mine was not acting right.  You might want to feed a few more days to see what happens with the present culture you are trying to activate, or try some more washings.  I don't know if you read Totti's thread about activating his starter culture, but it contains a lot of good information from different members.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30746.0 You can see Totti's first activation failed.  You might want to look at Totti's other thread too at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31538.0 You might also want to look at Bill's post at Reply 6 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3065.msg26043#msg26043 about the contamination and need for repeated washings.  Bill has posted a lot about starter cultures here on the forum.  If you also want to search pizzanapoletana (Marco's) posts he was the member that helped members to learn how to use starter cultures.  This is just one of Marco's post at Reply 3 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3065.msg26011#msg26011  As you can see starter cultures are complicated beasts in many ways.   

Since you have the Ischia culture I think you will like that culture very much when you activate it. 

I agree, get one of your starter cultures activated right and then go on from there. Some members can quickly catch on to using starter cultures, but it is an advanced pizza making process to learn.

Norma

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
Minn,

You're welcome anytime, but don't forget I don't fully understand starter cultures myself. 

I had different smells with the Ischia starter too, when mine was not acting right.  You might want to feed a few more days to see what happens with the present culture you are trying to activate, or try some more washings.  I don't know if you read Totti's thread about activating his starter culture, but it contains a lot of good information from different members.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30746.0 You can see Totti's first activation failed.  You might want to look at Totti's other thread too at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31538.0 You might also want to look at Bill's post at Reply 6 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3065.msg26043#msg26043 about the contamination and need for repeated washings.  Bill has posted a lot about starter cultures here on the forum.  If you also want to search pizzanapoletana (Marco's) posts he was the member that helped members to learn how to use starter cultures.  This is just one of Marco's post at Reply 3 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3065.msg26011#msg26011  As you can see starter cultures are complicated beasts in many ways.   

Since you have the Ischia culture I think you will like that culture very much when you activate it. 

I agree, get one of your starter cultures activated right and then go on from there. Some members can quickly catch on to using starter cultures, but it is an advanced pizza making process to learn.

Norma

Norma

please, you are very knowledged expert in my perspective the least, and have knowledge, skill and experience far more than enough to guide a newbie like myself. after going through these questions and answer steps, I think I am much more prepared to start my Ischia starter activation, and all these readiness are mainly a result of your selfishless help and contribution, truely appreciated with due respect to you.

I kept one of the two jars, and replaced other one of them with a new setup of the Japan made Italian Culture, which I don't know its name because the package is printed in Japanese. now, the refurbished culture is more than double of it's initial volume again in one hour, and delivers very pleasant smell and sourness. I believe this dry starter is engineered like it is observed with its Japanese technique. when I ordered this cutlure, the dealer did mention the bacteria is cultivated by the Japan maker using their in house developed techniques, while the dealer really could not give more information, that is a pity. so, I think I will move on to the Ischia tomorrow or the day after to experience a true adventure. I will report to you what is my journey look like.

I went through Totti's threads, together with your threads, and the conversation between you and other experienced member like Craig, I believe I can overcome a lot un-certainties, at lease I have the information to help judge the activation process, it is a big plus, isn't it? this is sufficient to me, as we are living in a totally different world geographically and biologically, it doesn't make sense to expect precise instruction like IT programming, culture is a very complicated beast as you mentioned, can not agree more ^^^ but, I really enjoyed the talks, thank s again, Norma, for your great help. have a great day, Madam !

Minn

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »

Norma

please, you are very knowledged expert in my perspective the least, and have knowledge, skill and experience far more than enough to guide a newbie like myself. after going through these questions and answer steps, I think I am much more prepared to start my Ischia starter activation, and all these readiness are mainly a result of your selfishless help and contribution, truely appreciated with due respect to you.

I kept one of the two jars, and replaced other one of them with a new setup of the Japan made Italian Culture, which I don't know its name because the package is printed in Japanese. now, the refurbished culture is more than double of it's initial volume again in one hour, and delivers very pleasant smell and sourness. I believe this dry starter is engineered like it is observed with its Japanese technique. when I ordered this cutlure, the dealer did mention the bacteria is cultivated by the Japan maker using their in house developed techniques, while the dealer really could not give more information, that is a pity. so, I think I will move on to the Ischia tomorrow or the day after to experience a true adventure. I will report to you what is my journey look like.

I went through Totti's threads, together with your threads, and the conversation between you and other experienced member like Craig, I believe I can overcome a lot un-certainties, at lease I have the information to help judge the activation process, it is a big plus, isn't it? this is sufficient to me, as we are living in a totally different world geographically and biologically, it doesn't make sense to expect precise instruction like IT programming, culture is a very complicated beast as you mentioned, can not agree more ^^^ but, I really enjoyed the talks, thank s again, Norma, for your great help. have a great day, Madam !

Minn

Minn,

I can use the search functions, so that helps a lot in trying to help someone with different problems.  I also have been helped here on the forum many times. 

It sounds like your new Japan made Italian culture is doing very well.  Let us all know how your Japan made Italian culture develops.

You are right that if you read experienced members posts on sourdough cultures you will learn a lot.  It does really help that so many members contribute everything they know about cultures and all the styles of pizza making.  This forum is really nice in that it can help almost anyone that are living in different geographically locations of the world.   

Good luck with your Ischia starter culture.  The Ischia starter is really good.

Have a great day too!

Norma

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »
the culture of my first batch looks dead, hooch on top, but if look closely there seems sign of life still there, very tiny gas pop up here and there. I will keep feeding and find out what beneth the quiet batter

the replacement now sits in the fridger, overnight, its hooch is in the middle exactly same as observed from the first batch. actually I had one question in mind last night my time, if I could not rescue the first batch, no matter how well the activation is, it is still useless after stored in fridger

so, the first thing still remains, I have to get the first batch back to life unless I am fully convinced it's a dead culture

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
the culture of my first batch looks dead, hooch on top, but if look closely there seems sign of life still there, very tiny gas pop up here and there. I will keep feeding and find out what beneth the quiet batter

the replacement now sits in the fridger, overnight, its hooch is in the middle exactly same as observed from the first batch. actually I had one question in mind last night my time, if I could not rescue the first batch, no matter how well the activation is, it is still useless after stored in fridger

so, the first thing still remains, I have to get the first batch back to life unless I am fully convinced it's a dead culture

Minn,

Did you try washing again?  I wonder why you are putting the replacement batch in the fridge before it is fully activated (if it can be activated).  I really don't know how to answer your question about if you could not rescue the first batch would it still be useless after stored in the fridge.  I think I am a little confused by that question.  If you get it activated and rising well regular times after feedings, and it smells good, the starter can be kept in the fridge until feeding again.  After an active starter comes out of the fridge it is fed until it is active enough to be used.  Can you email or call where you purchased your starter?  Maybe they could help you to know what to do.

Norma

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 04:52:34 AM »
For what it's worth Minn, it took me two goes on sourdo.com to get my Ischia up and running. I have a 2 x Camadoli starters in the fridge that i don't think I will be trying any time soon :)

I have three batches of Ischia in my house. One backup in fridge (200g), 1 countertop daily active (400g), and one mess around in a large Pyrex bowl.

My main daily is fed 8am, and 8pm. It gets the required expansion in about 4-5 hours (But it is winter here). I never get the explosive mess I have seen other members get.. But that could be a combination of temperatures, and feeding regimes. Im sure if I feed it more often, or fed it a higher amount of food I could get it more active, but to be honest my regime seems to work quite well.. And it doubles (Or, close enough to.. sometimes its stubborn :), so I know its active.

When its active, you can even do what Craig does and not even measure it out. My mess around one is like this, I just throw a bit out (Sometimes I don't even throw out, i just add my discarded starter from the main) and throw in the leftover flour that I have sifted and a splash of water... It still expands.. Not doubles but it still goes up by about 3cms...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:55:19 AM by Totti »

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2014, 05:40:08 AM »
Minn,

Did you try washing again?  I wonder why you are putting the replacement batch in the fridge before it is fully activated (if it can be activated).  I really don't know how to answer your question about if you could not rescue the first batch would it still be useless after stored in the fridge.  I think I am a little confused by that question.  If you get it activated and rising well regular times after feedings, and it smells good, the starter can be kept in the fridge until feeding again.  After an active starter comes out of the fridge it is fed until it is active enough to be used.  Can you email or call where you purchased your starter?  Maybe they could help you to know what to do.

Norma

Norma

Sorry for being slow in response, I was out for most of the day, and also apologize I could not describe my situation with clarity. the point I was trying to make is, the replacement batch would follow the exact same pattern as my first batch, that meant the replacement will undergo a dying phase after getting out of the fridger. up to the point I post my question above, the first batch is still not active, and I think it is useless if it could not get back to active condition of its first hour fermentation, this applies the same to the replacement. not sure if I explained well

in any case, the first batch looks recovered now, it doesn't have the hooch any more, volume increased by about 4CM in a couple of hours ago, now it seems lost its steam and come back to its initial volume, but, I clearly see the bubles and good smell, which is totally different than yesterday. so, I think I still have the hope to bring its life back in good condition. I will feed it shortly, and see if it has the energy to push up the form to format bigger volume within 2 to 3 hours. all the sign for now indicates a positive outcome, I will report the result shortly. thanks, Norma, for your concern

Minn

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 05:47:45 AM »
For what it's worth Minn, it took me two goes on sourdo.com to get my Ischia up and running. I have a 2 x Camadoli starters in the fridge that i don't think I will be trying any time soon :)

I have three batches of Ischia in my house. One backup in fridge (200g), 1 countertop daily active (400g), and one mess around in a large Pyrex bowl.

My main daily is fed 8am, and 8pm. It gets the required expansion in about 4-5 hours (But it is winter here). I never get the explosive mess I have seen other members get.. But that could be a combination of temperatures, and feeding regimes. Im sure if I feed it more often, or fed it a higher amount of food I could get it more active, but to be honest my regime seems to work quite well.. And it doubles (Or, close enough to.. sometimes its stubborn :), so I know its active.

When its active, you can even do what Craig does and not even measure it out. My mess around one is like this, I just throw a bit out (Sometimes I don't even throw out, i just add my discarded starter from the main) and throw in the leftover flour that I have sifted and a splash of water... It still expands.. Not doubles but it still goes up by about 3cms...

Totti

I went through your theads, and excited by your success activating the culture, the thread really has a lot valuable information, thanks for Norma for her direction.

I have on question for you, if I may, Totti, did you use your mess up culture to fermentate some pizza dough, and what's the crust taste? the reason I ask is the final crust makes the judgement call if the culture is activated fully or not and if it delivers excellent flavor to the pie. if the answer is positive, then why care so much about the phenomenon during the process. maybe I am too arbitrary in this context ... ... ???

Minn

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 06:58:51 AM »
Norma

Sorry for being slow in response, I was out for most of the day, and also apologize I could not describe my situation with clarity. the point I was trying to make is, the replacement batch would follow the exact same pattern as my first batch, that meant the replacement will undergo a dying phase after getting out of the fridger. up to the point I post my question above, the first batch is still not active, and I think it is useless if it could not get back to active condition of its first hour fermentation, this applies the same to the replacement. not sure if I explained well

in any case, the first batch looks recovered now, it doesn't have the hooch any more, volume increased by about 4CM in a couple of hours ago, now it seems lost its steam and come back to its initial volume, but, I clearly see the bubles and good smell, which is totally different than yesterday. so, I think I still have the hope to bring its life back in good condition. I will feed it shortly, and see if it has the energy to push up the form to format bigger volume within 2 to 3 hours. all the sign for now indicates a positive outcome, I will report the result shortly. thanks, Norma, for your concern

Minn

Minn,

You don't have to apologize for when you post replies.  Sometimes members miss posts, have to think things over, or don't replies for days.  They also might be on vacation or away from their computers. 

I am not sure about your second batch and it not being active in an hour and undergoing a dying phase.  Even with the Ischia starter different members have different activating times.

Sounds good that your first batch looks recovered now and smells good.  Most different starter cultures have different leavening powers.  Starter cultures are a mystery sometimes.  I looked at my Ischia starter that has been in the fridge for awhile and Mmmph's Cape Fear starter.  The Ischia starter does not look the same as Mmmph's starter.  Mmmph's Cape Fear starter looks just like it did when it was placed in the fridge.

Looking forward to you results.  Sometimes my starter cultures do not increase in volume a lot in 2 to 3 hrs.  You have to find the right feeding ratios and temperatures play a role in how much your starter will increase in volume.

Norma 

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:32 AM »
I feel a bit excited, the first batch doubled its volume in 2.5 hours from latest feeding. I post the pictures to see the difference

first two images immediately follow through are before the feeding
the next two are right after the feeding
the last two images are 2.5hours after the feeding

ph values : 4.3 before feeding, and 4.8 now

Minn

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 09:30:58 PM »
I feel a bit excited, the first batch doubled its volume in 2.5 hours from latest feeding. I post the pictures to see the difference

first two images immediately follow through are before the feeding
the next two are right after the feeding
the last two images are 2.5hours after the feeding

ph values : 4.3 before feeding, and 4.8 now

Minn

Minn,

Your first starter batch looks like it is doing well.  It is great news that it doubled in volume 2 hours after feeding.

Norma

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 01:11:13 AM »
Minn,

Your first starter batch looks like it is doing well.  It is great news that it doubled in volume 2 hours after feeding.

Norma

Thanks a lot, Norma, without your help, I think I would have still been struggling now  :-D

Minn

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 03:00:00 AM »

Totti

I went through your theads, and excited by your success activating the culture, the thread really has a lot valuable information, thanks for Norma for her direction.

I have on question for you, if I may, Totti, did you use your mess up culture to fermentate some pizza dough, and what's the crust taste? the reason I ask is the final crust makes the judgement call if the culture is activated fully or not and if it delivers excellent flavor to the pie. if the answer is positive, then why care so much about the phenomenon during the process. maybe I am too arbitrary in this context ... ... ???

Minn

Craigs recipe only called for about 40 grams. I didn't use my mess around one (Which went down the sink as it smelt too acidic), I used my active jar and I just scooped 40 grams out (I hoped my jar wouldn't notice anything was missing.. And I was right  :P) I had fed it about 8 hours prior.

This morning I started a new jar to give to my aunt. I put 200 grams in, and then put 220 grams of water in, whisked the hell out of it, and then put 220 grams of sifted flour into it, whisked the hell out of it.. And now I am looking at this 8 hours later.

As you can see it is about 1cm from the top. I was briefly tempted to keep it as it looks more active than mine, but I am doing the right thing and giving it away making important observations:

1. This had a hell of a lot more solid form than mine. I thought it would hamper the growth, instead it looks like it has accelerated it. It was probably more like 220g flour 200 grams water.

2. Could the water in first and whisking have made it more active? Usually I put both in at the same time.

3. Could the increased feeding (Albeit only 20 grams more) have contributed to a greater rise?

This is the reason I will split another one off tonight and experiment using only one of those variables at a time. Hers smells fantastic, like a muted yoghurt.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:03:18 AM by Totti »

Offline minn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 03:52:56 AM »
Craigs recipe only called for about 40 grams. I didn't use my mess around one (Which went down the sink as it smelt too acidic), I used my active jar and I just scooped 40 grams out (I hoped my jar wouldn't notice anything was missing.. And I was right  :P) I had fed it about 8 hours prior.

This morning I started a new jar to give to my aunt. I put 200 grams in, and then put 220 grams of water in, whisked the hell out of it, and then put 220 grams of sifted flour into it, whisked the hell out of it.. And now I am looking at this 8 hours later.

As you can see it is about 1cm from the top. I was briefly tempted to keep it as it looks more active than mine, but I am doing the right thing and giving it away making important observations:

1. This had a hell of a lot more solid form than mine. I thought it would hamper the growth, instead it looks like it has accelerated it. It was probably more like 220g flour 200 grams water.

2. Could the water in first and whisking have made it more active? Usually I put both in at the same time.

3. Could the increased feeding (Albeit only 20 grams more) have contributed to a greater rise?

This is the reason I will split another one off tonight and experiment using only one of those variables at a time. Hers smells fantastic, like a muted yoghurt.

cool, sounds like mystery, too many varaibles to study with, and thanks for sharing

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 08:13:26 AM »

Totti,

That sounds like great news from your experiment.  ;D  I also know how the smell of the starter cultures can change.

Norma