Author Topic: I took a 24" WFO for a spin  (Read 1564 times)

Offline TXCraig1

I took a 24" WFO for a spin
« on: May 03, 2014, 01:06:02 PM »
A friend asked me to come bake some pies in his little 24" WFO (Chicago Brick Oven engine). It is by far the smallest oven I've ever used. I think you could probably fit his entire enclosure inside my oven. I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked however. The one thing that really jumped out was how much more conductive the floor is as compared to my oven. I've wondered why a big poof of steam/smoke never shoots out from under my pies when I launch them as you see in so many videos. It did in his oven. I never put 2-and-2 together before, but I'm sure now that the lower floor conductivity is why you don't see it in my oven.

He was about to tear out his oven and put in a new one because he says he just couldn't bake a good pie (this was the first time I'd been to his house since he put the oven a year or so back, so I've never tried or even seen a picture of one of his pies). He wanted to see what I could do with it before he replaced it. Talking to him, the main three things I did differently from him were:

1) I got his oven a LOT hotter than he ever did. ~850F on the deck and ~950F on the walls.
2) I pushed the coals to the side as I always do - he had been setting them up in a "U" shape.
3) I brought my regular 48 hour SDNP dough.  ;D

Bake times were 55ish with about half of that in the dome. The dome of the oven was pleasantly low. While baking, I kept an open flame going at all times. I thought the pies were pretty good. These were 12"/230g balls as opposed to my normal 13"/275g. Really the only thing I didn't really care for about the oven was the more conductive deck. Get it hot, and it can bake a pizza. You just have to keep an eye on the bottom and spend much of the time in the dome. Much wine was consumed during the baking, so the pies could certainly have been even better. Sorry for the lousy cell phone pics. I still have an IPhone3 - no flash.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: I took a 24" WFO for a spin
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
More
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
Wow, 24"? I'm a little surprised as well.  I really thought 27" was about as low as you could go and still have a viable amount of baking area.

He could probably squeeze a little more real estate with a metal fire divider (or whatever it's being called).

Whitacre Greer bricks would go a very long way in improving the floor conductivity. Is the floor all one piece?  Is it removable?  How low is the dome? Could you lose 1.25" of vertical space by adding the WG splits on top of the existing floor? Additional floor mass would prolong the pre-heat, but, with an oven this size, I'm guessing the pre-heat isn't all that long anyway.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »
Great looking pies Craig!  You can master almost any oven.   8)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 01:45:42 PM »
Wow, 24"? I'm a little surprised as well.  I really thought 27" was about as low as you could go and still have a viable amount of baking area.

He could probably squeeze a little more real estate with a metal fire divider (or whatever it's being called).

Whitacre Greer bricks would go a very long way in improving the floor conductivity. Is the floor all one piece?  Is it removable?  How low is the dome? Could you lose 1.25" of vertical space by adding the WG splits on top of the existing floor? Additional floor mass would prolong the pre-heat, but, with an oven this size, I'm guessing the pre-heat isn't all that long anyway.

Yes, it was tiny. I didn't measure it, maybe it was 27", but I don't think so. You can get a good sense of the size from picture 5 above.  The low dome helped a lot I think. Nonetheless, it' all about getting it hot and having an open flame. I told him to get it going about 3 hours before I got there. In all, it probably pre-heated for close to 5 hours. I told him to get a piece of metal to hold back the coals the way Omid does. The floor is one piece. It kind of looked like concrete of some sort.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
Great looking pies Craig!  You can master almost any oven.   8)

Norma

Almost any?

;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »
Almost any?

;D
We're biting!  Craig you are welcome to join us in Tampa anytime and tame Bobino's two ovens and my oven.
Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »
Almost any?

;D

Craig,

You didn't try my deck oven at market yet.  I don't think you are into that style of pizza but you are welcome to give it a whirl. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
Craig the pies look great. how did the bottoms bake? i take it you noticed the floor was hard to manage. Chicago brick ovens have extremely  low dome. the 28 inch is 12 inches. not sure about the little one. the pies look nicely baked almost like a a garage pie. my mobile oven has a very temperamental floor. if you cook a lot of pies in fast succession it is great. if you have down time the oven needs to be no higher than 725 degrees or the bottoms singe right away. was it a major hassle cooking mostly in the dome

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 09:52:48 PM »
Craig the pies look great. how did the bottoms bake? i take it you noticed the floor was hard to manage. Chicago brick ovens have extremely  low dome. the 28 inch is 12 inches. not sure about the little one. the pies look nicely baked almost like a a garage pie. my mobile oven has a very temperamental floor. if you cook a lot of pies in fast succession it is great. if you have down time the oven needs to be no higher than 725 degrees or the bottoms singe right away. was it a major hassle cooking mostly in the dome

Yes, the deck is really conductive. After about 20-25 seconds, I was it the dome for the remainder of the bake.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline csafranek

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 06:07:40 AM »
Wow!  Great job as always Craig!  You have an open invitation to come join me and my family here in Kansas City, Missouri if you are ever in the area!  I am sure you can show me a thing or two (more like a hundred)!  Really great job! 

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 06:37:05 AM »
Is that one of the custom ovens they sell?  One they are calling 29"x23" the other is 41"x28"...either way it must have been quite a change from your oven.    Very nice looking pies, as usual...I like the char.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »
Is that one of the custom ovens they sell?  One they are calling 29"x23" the other is 41"x28"...either way it must have been quite a change from your oven.    Very nice looking pies, as usual...I like the char.

Thanks!

It must be the 29x23".
Pizza is not bread.

Offline sub

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 12:07:10 PM »
Congratulations Craig !

Such beautiful pies in a tiny oven, you are very skilled.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
There is hope for the little oven I am going to build (27") then.  Looks good as usual Craig.

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »
Those are some pretty pies, Craig.  I think it proves anyone wrong who thinks that your 'Ferrari' of an oven is more important than your skill.  Oh, so I'm guessing your friend isn't going to tear down that oven?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »
Those are some pretty pies, Craig.  I think it proves anyone wrong who thinks that your 'Ferrari' of an oven is more important than your skill.  Oh, so I'm guessing your friend isn't going to tear down that oven?

No. I think he will keep it. He was pretty happy with the things I showed him.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »
Hi Craig!

Those are some good looking pies although I would expect nothing less!  So it really is the Indian and not the arrow huh?  Crap… I don't have anything else to blame.

Just out of curiosity… are the last two pies yours?  They look great but don't look like your "hands"  :)

Scot

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 05:44:40 PM »
Just out of curiosity… are the last two pies yours?  They look great but don't look like your "hands"  :)

Very perceptive Scot. My friends daughter and her cousin made those two. I baked them, but that's it. They did the rest.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »
Looking good! you could probably make a great pie in a trash can ! ( metal of course)  Put up some side by side Vs. Acunto pies. I too like to try other ovens cooked many times in the p-60 very impresed by the mini me ovens when done right. I have a repeat  gig this Friday in the 24" mini barrel oven 40 pies !!  Very cool to show em what they an gt if they sign up fr training  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan