Author Topic: Who has the best pizza in NYC?  (Read 633 times)

Offline PizzaGarage

Who has the best pizza in NYC?
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:35:18 PM »
I am heading to NYC and wanted to know where I should go for the "best" pizza.   I will have time to try 2 or 3 places while there so what do you think?

I keep hearing about these old school pizza places with the best pizza on the planet and looking to see where people recommend I should go?

Thanks

Offline Jackitup

Re: Who has the best pizza in NYC?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:00:51 PM »
I've heard VERY good reviews on doing it this way
http://www.scottspizzatours.com/tours/bybus

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »
Scott, feel free to repost what you PM'ed me.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 11:50:22 PM »
I've heard VERY good reviews on doing it this way
http://www.scottspizzatours.com/tours/bybus

I don't think there's anyone that knows more about the history of NYC pizza than Scott, but, with all due respect, he tends to include absolutely horrible pizzerias on his itinerary (like Lombardi's), and, he seems to be passing on the baton to people under his employ. I've recommended Scott's tours many times, but, until I hear some more feedback, unless I both knew that Scott, himself, was leading the tour and knew the places he was going, I really can't, in good conscience recommend it to an obsessive with limited time.

For a typical tourist, I think these tours are great, but, for an obsessive looking for the best pizza in the city, I can't recommend it with the information I have available.

Brad, I just wrote a post on Chowhound and spoke with Dan (wahoo88) on this subject today:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/973799#8918415

Cliff notes:

Williamsburg Pizza - Lower East Side - Do NOT miss
Paulie Gees- for the Hellboy
Don Antonio - Traditional Neapolitan, good hours, recommended less for quality and more for accessibility- midtown
Motorino - Brussels Sprouts pie

I think Wheated is still a contender, but I need to make the trip or hear feedback from a trusted source before I know for certain. Also, if you're lucky enough that your trip coincides with one of Adam Kuban's pop ups, that would be quite a coup, but that's a huge long shot.

When Williamsburg pizza only had the Brooklyn location, I could kind of understand obsessives visiting NYC and keeping to Manhattan (and losing out in a HUGE way). Now that they have the Lower East Side location, there is absolutely no excuse for missing out on it.  I have yet to hear reports on the quality at the new location vs. the old, but I'm confident it will be on par. When you do go (not IF :) ) please report back.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:55:03 AM by scott123 »

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »
Any opinion on Patsy's?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:28:31 PM »
Pizza Garage,

Patsy's has become a mini-chain so I assume you are referring to the original Harlem location. If you go to this page, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?board=66.0 , and enter the search term Patsy's in the search box at the top, right of the page, you will get a range of reviews, including some fairly recent ones.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 06:24:54 AM »
PizzaGarage,

I am not sure where the best pizzerias are in NYC right now.  These are some pizzerias other members and I visited.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=12388.0 and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16573.msg161659#msg161659

Maybe other threads to look at might be http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22695.msg230225#msg230225 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17885.0  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=16901.0  At least from the above threads you might get an idea if the looks of any of the pizzas might appeal to you.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 09:35:37 AM »
Thank you.  My post got moved here and had no idea there was an area to discuss Restuarants.

Will do a search as seems many others are asking the same questions....

Thanks!

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »
Any opinion on Patsy's?

As you can see from Norma's link, I was recommending Patsy's last year, but, my thoughts have since evolved.  Between the inevitable fame induced apathy and the inherent inconsistency of coal, I really can't recommend any NY coal places.  Patsy's and Johns are most likely a step above the rest (on their 'good' days), but it's not enough to make it worth the visit, imo. If you're willing to make the trip all the way to Patsy's, grab a slice and then head further up to Johnny's in Mount Vernon.

If you absolutely feel like you HAVE to try a NY coal place, then I might lean a bit towards John's, based purely on accessibility.  If you do go to John's, keep to one topping per pie, max.

Oh, and this applies to everywhere you go.  This is going to be really difficult, but, bring a stopwatch and give every whole pie you buy at least 7 minutes between when you get it and when you eat it.  Mozzarella straight from the oven is basically napalm. Not only do you not want to burn your mouth, but high heat impairs flavor, so if you don't give the pizza long enough to cool, you won't be able to taste it fully. Also, when you get a slice from Williamsburg, ask them to remove it from the oven after about 30 seconds. If it's not quite warm enough, get another slice and have them leave it in for a bit longer.  Most slices places go overboard with their re-heats and not only does it enter into the same mouth burning territory, but it dries out the crust as well.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
Oh, and this applies to everywhere you go.  This is going to be really difficult, but, bring a stopwatch and give every whole pie you buy at least 7 minutes between when you get it and when you eat it.  Mozzarella straight from the oven is basically napalm. Not only do you not want to burn your mouth, but high heat impairs flavor, so if you don't give the pizza long enough to cool, you won't be able to taste it fully.

Scott, I imagine this advice doesn't apply to the neapolitan pies you recommended.

I would recommend Emily's in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. It's neapolitan style, but strays from tradition with a doughier crust (which is how I like to make mine).  I'd also recommend Pizza Suprema near penn station for their upside down slice, which is one my favorite slices in the city (not as good as L&B's upside down, though). They also do a very solid rendition of accoutred NYC slices, notably the buffalo chicken and bbq chicken slices.

If you want a long train ride followed by a great view of Brooklyn I'd recommend L&B Spumoni Garden. It's great pizza (the square pie) and a very fun experience, observing the native brooklyners (and some formerly native), sitting outside, eating homemade ice cream and spumoni.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:40:23 PM by misterschu »

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
Scott, I imagine this advice doesn't apply to the neapolitan pies you recommended.

That's a good point, David. Neapolitan generally eats better a little hotter, and the cheese is not quite as molten when it comes to the table.  Still, though, you're probably going to find some different opinions on this, but I wouldn't eat a Neapolitan pizza within the first 4 minutes. There's so many subtle flavors that the heat is going to mask.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »
I think most NP places rest their pies a bit before cutting them, where NY places will box 'em up/slice 'em as soon as they're out of the oven.

Offline Gags

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
Here's a pic of a slice from my trip to Patsy's (Italian Harlem) in Dec 2013.
You like the bottom of your apizz' well done?!   :P
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline scott123

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »
Whoah... Regardless of the well documented lack of consistency with coal ovens, if I ever got an undercrust that looked like that, I'd never be back.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »
We have a coal fired pizza joint in St Paul about 20 miles from me called Black Sheep Pizza and the 3 times we've eaten there it was very hard to eat, 1 time was just okay. The char and flavor from the coal we found VERY oily/creosote tasting, like over smoked dirty bbq pit. We haven't been back.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline dineomite

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 09:00:21 PM »
Gags....what do you say to that? I mean.....wow. Pizza making malpractice right there.

Offline Gags

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
Gags....what do you say to that? I mean.....wow. Pizza making malpractice right there.

Yah, seriously. 
But sending it back would probably have resulted in worse!
You'll see some incredibly inconsistent heat distribution:
- look at the top of the pie vs bottom.
- look at the bottom of the first pic, then this other one
So from top-to-bottom, side-to-side, this poor pie was neglected!!   :(
Somebody call Pizza Protective Services!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:12:18 PM by Gags »
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

pizzapan