Author Topic: Flour by Protein percentages  (Read 1929 times)

Offline myxsix

Flour by Protein percentages
« on: March 21, 2006, 02:48:52 AM »
To any and all that care to comment, what do you find to be the best kind of flour for your purposes based upon protein content. Where I live, there are many kinds of flour - though they are unbranded - I can specify with the milling factory the percentage of protein I want? If you could do that what level would you choose?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Flour by Protein percentages
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 11:41:06 AM »
myxsix,

I'm not quite sure I fully understand your question. If you are thinking of what flours are best from a protein content standpoint for particular pizza styles, it is hard to generalize but I do think that there are some useful guides. For example, for a NY style (e.g., a NY street style), I think that a high-gluten flour with a protein content of around 14% is the best choice, followed by bread flour with a protein content of around 12.5-13%. For a Chicago deep-dish style, all-purpose flour with a protein content of around 11-11.7% is a good choice, although it is also possible to use a bread flour based on recipes I have seen. For a Neapolitan style, the only flour I would use would be an imported 00 flour with a protein content of around 9-12.5%, with a preference for one with a protein content of around 11.5-12.5% (such as the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour). For a cracker-type pizza, I have seen everything from all-purpose flour, to bread flour to high-gluten flour. For an American style, high-gluten flour and bread flour appear to be the most common choices. It is also possible to blend different flours with different protein contents to achieve a desired final protein content or other characteristics. A good example of this is DiFara's, in Brooklyn, where high-gluten flour and 00 flours are combined.

If you stay within the general ranges of protein mentioned, brand names are not so important in my opinion. I happen to like the King Arthur flours because they are unbleached, non-bromated, and generally have a slightly higher protein content than used by competitive products, but there are many other good brands of flours out there. If a particular flour you have found is unbranded, then I would want to know what its protein content is, as well as any other details and specs for the flour that may be available because many unbranded flours can be of poorer quality than the branded flours. Also, most unbranded flours come in very large bags (usually 25-50 lbs.), so it is a good idea to know what you are getting since you will be living with that flour for quite a while.

To get a better feel for different flours, you might also take a look at the Pizza Glossary at the forum, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html.

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 01:16:28 PM »
This is the flour I use from fisher mills, this flour has given me the most flexability between the different styles of pizza mentioned on this board.

But.......I still have 7 other types of flour I use because I'm experimenting with many formulas.

So, if I had to pick one. This would be it.

"Special Pizza Blend, Bleached". It has 12% protein, 0.55 ash, 63% absorption,
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Misheil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 06:29:48 AM »
Peter:

The Caputo flour I use came from Forno Bravo.  So, it's not the pizzeria flour.  I think the 00 flour I use called extra blue has 9.5% protein.  The Caputo pizzeria flour has 11.5% protein.  Why is it that Forno Bravo is saying that there is only a 1% difference in the protein between the two and that one would not tell the difference between the two?  Is that true that a 2-3% difference in protein would not produce a different dough?  I am about to make another purchase of 00 flour, but was going to go for the pizzeria caputo, but I'm nervous that it's going to produce different results than the extra blue I've been using.  What has your experience been between the two doughs?

Thanks,
Marie

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 10:32:38 AM »
Marie,

I, too, noted the discrepancy between the protein numbers for the two flours, but can’t explain it. The 11.5-12.5% figure for the Caputo Pizzeria flour was given to me by the importer but it is often quoted in many other places, including by sellers of the flour and I believe in spec sheets distributed by the miller of the flour. I believe I first got the 9.5% number (or confirmatiom of it) from one of our members, pietradoro, who I believe got the number off of a bag of the Caputo Extra Blue flour, quite possibly from the 9.5 grams protein content for a 100 gram serving sample.

As for the Caputo Extra Blue flour, I can’t comment on it personally since I have not tried it. However, some of our members, including pietradoro, have used it for pizzas and seemed quite pleased with it. Also, pizzanapoletana (Marco) commented on the flour (in relation to the Bel Aria 00 flour) at Reply 239 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1298.msg22552/topicseen.html#msg22552.

If you are in doubt about the Caputo Pizzeria flour, one good way to ease your concerns is to buy a small bag or two from PennMac, at pennmac.com (look under the Pizza Makers tab). PennMac repackages the Caputo Pizzeria flour, which typically comes in 55 lb. bags, in small bags for resale.

Peter