Author Topic: Weekend wastage, Ischia Pancakes, Ischia Naan  (Read 372 times)

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Weekend wastage, Ischia Pancakes, Ischia Naan
« on: May 06, 2014, 04:59:04 AM »
Well folks, now that I have a bubbly starter i decided to churn out two different recipes.. Ischia Pancakes for brekky with Vegemite  >:D which was 1.5 cups starter, 2 cups milk, 2 eggs and flour till consistent.. To finish I threw a teaspoon of baking soda in it.

Monday was Sourdough Naan (In picture with Pork Meatballs in Coconut Curry), I will throw the receipe out there if anyone is interested (On other computer).

Online JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Weekend wastage, Ischia Pancakes, Ischia Naan
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Monday was Sourdough Naan (In picture with Pork Meatballs in Coconut Curry), I will throw the receipe out there if anyone is interested (On other computer).

Wow, nice!!
Josh

Offline misterschu

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »
I've made ischia pancakes also, found them really delicious.  Didn't think to use milk though.  My recipe was a bit different: 1 tbsp starter mixed with 1 cup water and one heavy cup flour (pancake batter consistency, duh  :angel:) let that sit out for 1.5 days (you can add more starter, and just do overnight). In the morning add an egg, 3 tbsp sugar, 3 tbsp oil and mix.  Add 1 tsp of baking soda right before using.

cook.

Then drown them in maple syrup (grade b preferably)

Your naan and curry looks great.

Offline wolver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline Divani

• Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
If you could share the naan recipe it would be great!   :drool:
Thanks

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 04:33:50 AM »
If you could share the naan recipe it would be great!   :drool:
Thanks

Sure thing guys, quoted from http://witcheskitchen.com.au/sourdough-naan-bread/

P.S. I had the remnants of my flattened dough balls which I wrapped in (Saran you guys call it?) wrap in the fridge today. While it didn't rise, all of a sudden I had pan fried Roti :) reminds me of Pokemon. "What, Naan is evolving!!!" "Naan evolved into ROTI!!!"
Code: [Select]
The Recipe:

Makes 10

Step One:
Put 1Ĺ cups of fed sourdough starter in a bowl and leave, covered, on the benchtop overnight.

Step Two:
Then add:

2 big dessertspoons of low fat Greek yoghurt
2 dessertspoons of oil - I use macadamia oil or olive oil
1 beaten egg
2 cups of bakerís flour. (I havenít tried wholemeal naan. I use the Lauke Wallaby brand bakerís flour I can get from my local supermarket.)
Tip more bakerís flour on the benchtop, and knead for just a few minutes to get a smooth, not sticky dough.

Put a swig of oil in a bowl, and swish the dough around in it to cover, and leave it to prove in a warmish spot for another 8 hours or so.

Step Three:
Flour the benchtop and knead the dough briefly, then divide up into 10 little balls.  Roll each of the balls out into an oblong pancake about 1 cm thick.  Cover with a cloth and leave to prove for another half to one hour.  If you have floured the benchtop well, they wonít stick.

Cooking:
Heat a heavy frypan up till it is quite hot.  Put the naan in the dry pan and cook for just a couple of minutes on each side till it is puffed up and has golden brown spots where it has touched the pan. Wrap each one in a clean teatowel to keep warm as you make them. Perfect for soaking up curry or stew.

FWIW, I use spray oil to lightly coat the non stick frying pan. Gives a fantastic golden sheen.

Offline Divani

• Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:01:53 AM »
Thank you! ;D

pizzapan