Author Topic: Two Pies  (Read 3487 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Pies
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »
Josh,

Nice looking pies!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
Thank you, Norma.  They are getting pretty tasty.  The cornice on these was a tad too crisp, but still very good.
Josh

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 12:16:35 AM »
I followed Craig's system for that part of the process.

My part of the pies looks good  :-D Just kidding - good looking pies!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:32 AM »
My part of the pies looks good  :-D Just kidding - good looking pies!

:D I've read many of your threads, but I thought there was a step in one set of your instructions that included a few refreshing beverages.  Well, I followed those instructions, too, even though I couldn't find them!
Josh

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »
My wife is in Vegas at the trade show for people who make and sell things for dogs, swearing up and down that she isn't having any fun whatsoever.  So, while I made my typical batch of four dough balls--which I usually use to make two pies on the third and fifth days of cold fermentation--I don't really need to make two pies for me alone.  I decided to tweak my formula a bit, lowering the IDY just a bit, from .2% to .17%, and to lower the TF from about .085 to .080.  My plan is to make and eat one pie every night, eat chocolate chip cookies, and drink a range of refreshing whisky pours for every night she's doing her best not to have any fun in Vegas.  Also, I ran into a shortage of KABF.  I got about 85% of the flour total out of the dregs of the bag, but then had to resort to a combo of GMAP and KAAP to complete the recipe.  We'll see what happens . . . isn't there a suspense or popcorn-eating emoticon?

Four pies, four nights, on the third through sixth days of cold fermentation.

I made the first pie last night: pepperoni, jalapeņo, and basil, 7/11s, Dragone with a little cheddar added (I need to do better with my grocery shopping).  The cheese melted especially well, maybe because I'm stretching the dough better.

By the way, any suggestions are always welcome--especially with the dratted, uneven cornice. The uneven char is hard to fix, since I'm depending on a false oven ceiling to cook the top of the pie and I don't want to lose the oven heat by opening the oven door to turn the pie.   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:21:56 AM by quixoteQ »
Josh

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:43 PM »
Well, today's pie was probably the tastiest I've made to date, but sadly I dumped about 1/5 over the side of my steel.  Man, it made me grumpy since everything had gone so well up until that point.  Like I said, though, it tasted terrific.

There's tomato, basil, garlic, and some cashew on it.
Josh

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 09:28:11 PM »
Great looking pies. Really - top & bottom - great work. As for the "dump" most have done it!  And, when one does do it - steel (in a home oven) is probably the best surface to do it on.  Easy to clean however, carefully!

Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
Great looking pies. Really - top & bottom - great work. As for the "dump" most have done it!  And, when one does do it - steel (in a home oven) is probably the best surface to do it on.  Easy to clean however, carefully!

Cheers,
Don

Thank you, Donjo.  I think the part of the pie I didn't get to eat may have fallen into mystery land.  It was like some kind of super catfish had its jaws deep into one side of the pizza--I had to put some muscle into untangling it.  Since my wife is gone, I made the executive decision to see if a good night's sleep might take care of the cleaning.  There's always a chance.
Josh

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 09:56:43 PM »
Since my wife is gone, I made the executive decision to see if a good night's sleep might take care of the cleaning.  There's always a chance.

^^^ I like your style! :-D
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 09:35:21 PM »
A few pics of round three from the same dough batch, with today's pie after the fifth day of cold fermentation.  Having used up my secret stores of Dragone and my local cheesery out of stock, I was forced to use Boar's Head low moisture mozzarella.  What a let down!  It melted okay but it was very bland. 

Topped with garlic, onion, and sopressata.
Josh

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »
Finally, the last dough ball from what I've come to think of as the "bachelor batch," this one did a full six days in the fridge and when it came out it looked as lonely and scruffy as I do.  Six days was too much for this dough.  It survived, but only just.

Tomatoes, basil, garlic, and some Sargento cheese, which was just a bit better than the Boar's Head.  Gimmie back my Dragone, please!
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 10:39:11 PM »
i see you been hitting that whiskey bottle pretty good past 6 days.   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
i see you been hitting that whiskey bottle pretty good past 6 days.   8)

I had to replenish the stores I lost through my nostrils the other day.  :-[
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »
I had to replenish the stores I lost through my nostrils the other day.  :-[
Now you jus never mind that young man...happens to even the best of us every now an then.    ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 11:31:37 PM »
Now you jus never mind that young man...happens to even the best of us every now an then.    ;)

Cheers!
Josh

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 01:54:52 AM »
Josh, your pies look terrific.......but......I read your posts and can't quit laughing. When my wife leaves town the first thing that happens is the rum starts to flow and the next thing I know I'm making pizza!! Then the rum continues to flow and it's like "is this the second or third pizza I've made tonight?"

Oh man, us "bad boys" live life on the edge!!
Bob

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »
Josh, your pies look terrific.......but......I read your posts and can't quit laughing. When my wife leaves town the first thing that happens is the rum starts to flow and the next thing I know I'm making pizza!! Then the rum continues to flow and it's like "is this the second or third pizza I've made tonight?"

Oh man, us "bad boys" live life on the edge!!

Yeah, it's almost like a compulsion, isn't it?  I mean, if my wife were here, she'd be thrilled to have me cook four days in a row, and she wouldn't bat a pretty little eyelash about the whisk(e)y, as long as brought her home a nice bottle of wine.  But something about being alone brings up the need for pizza, booze, and a viewing or two of the Big Lebowski.
Josh

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 09:40:48 AM »
I'll bet C-Bob does the same thing only he watches "The Notebook"... He's so sentimental that way! :'( :'( :'(
Bob

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Three day cold ferment, TF .076, KABF, 62% hydration, 3% oil, 1% sugar, 1.75% salt, .17 IDY.  Sausage.  Grilled marinated peppers.  No whiskey.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:20:50 PM by quixoteQ »
Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 08:59:38 AM »
Josh,

That is a great looking pizza!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan