Author Topic: Two Pies  (Read 5054 times)

Offline quixoteQ

• Give me Shackleton Every Time
Re: Two Pies
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:43 PM »
Well, today's pie was probably the tastiest I've made to date, but sadly I dumped about 1/5 over the side of my steel.  Man, it made me grumpy since everything had gone so well up until that point.  Like I said, though, it tasted terrific.

There's tomato, basil, garlic, and some cashew on it.
Josh

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 09:28:11 PM »
Great looking pies. Really - top & bottom - great work. As for the "dump" most have done it!  And, when one does do it - steel (in a home oven) is probably the best surface to do it on.  Easy to clean however, carefully!

Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
Great looking pies. Really - top & bottom - great work. As for the "dump" most have done it!  And, when one does do it - steel (in a home oven) is probably the best surface to do it on.  Easy to clean however, carefully!

Cheers,
Don

Thank you, Donjo.  I think the part of the pie I didn't get to eat may have fallen into mystery land.  It was like some kind of super catfish had its jaws deep into one side of the pizza--I had to put some muscle into untangling it.  Since my wife is gone, I made the executive decision to see if a good night's sleep might take care of the cleaning.  There's always a chance.
Josh

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 09:56:43 PM »
Since my wife is gone, I made the executive decision to see if a good night's sleep might take care of the cleaning.  There's always a chance.

^^^ I like your style! :-D
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 09:35:21 PM »
A few pics of round three from the same dough batch, with today's pie after the fifth day of cold fermentation.  Having used up my secret stores of Dragone and my local cheesery out of stock, I was forced to use Boar's Head low moisture mozzarella.  What a let down!  It melted okay but it was very bland. 

Topped with garlic, onion, and sopressata.
Josh

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »
Finally, the last dough ball from what I've come to think of as the "bachelor batch," this one did a full six days in the fridge and when it came out it looked as lonely and scruffy as I do.  Six days was too much for this dough.  It survived, but only just.

Tomatoes, basil, garlic, and some Sargento cheese, which was just a bit better than the Boar's Head.  Gimmie back my Dragone, please!
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 10:39:11 PM »
i see you been hitting that whiskey bottle pretty good past 6 days.   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
i see you been hitting that whiskey bottle pretty good past 6 days.   8)

I had to replenish the stores I lost through my nostrils the other day.  :-[
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »
I had to replenish the stores I lost through my nostrils the other day.  :-[
Now you jus never mind that young man...happens to even the best of us every now an then.    ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 11:31:37 PM »
Now you jus never mind that young man...happens to even the best of us every now an then.    ;)

Cheers!
Josh

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 01:54:52 AM »
Josh, your pies look terrific.......but......I read your posts and can't quit laughing. When my wife leaves town the first thing that happens is the rum starts to flow and the next thing I know I'm making pizza!! Then the rum continues to flow and it's like "is this the second or third pizza I've made tonight?"

Oh man, us "bad boys" live life on the edge!!
Bob

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »
Josh, your pies look terrific.......but......I read your posts and can't quit laughing. When my wife leaves town the first thing that happens is the rum starts to flow and the next thing I know I'm making pizza!! Then the rum continues to flow and it's like "is this the second or third pizza I've made tonight?"

Yeah, it's almost like a compulsion, isn't it?  I mean, if my wife were here, she'd be thrilled to have me cook four days in a row, and she wouldn't bat a pretty little eyelash about the whisk(e)y, as long as brought her home a nice bottle of wine.  But something about being alone brings up the need for pizza, booze, and a viewing or two of the Big Lebowski.
Josh

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 09:40:48 AM »
I'll bet C-Bob does the same thing only he watches "The Notebook"... He's so sentimental that way! :'( :'( :'(
Bob

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Three day cold ferment, TF .076, KABF, 62% hydration, 3% oil, 1% sugar, 1.75% salt, .17 IDY.  Sausage.  Grilled marinated peppers.  No whiskey.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:20:50 PM by quixoteQ »
Josh

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 08:59:38 AM »
Josh,

That is a great looking pizza!

Norma

Offline JD

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »

:-D Same for me but I'll probably watch a couple episodes of Mad Men instead of the Notebook, I promise.

Three day cold ferment, TF .076, KABF, 62% hydration, 3% oil, 1% sugar, 1.75% salt, .17 IDY.  Sausage.  Grilled marinated peppers.  No whiskey.

Josh, you're pies have come a long way in such short time. That one is a beauty. 

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »
Thank you Norma and Josh!  Mad Men is good, too, but my wife is more than willing to watch Mad Men--yet for some reason she has no interest watching Big Lebowski or Groundhog Day . . . again.

I have two more dough balls from this last KABF batch that I'll bake tomorrow, then I'm going to try out the GM Full Strength flour.  I also picked up some new steel which could make for some interesting changes.  Very excited for new pizza experiments!
Josh

Offline JD

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 09:58:15 AM »
I also picked up some new steel which could make for some interesting changes.  Very excited for new pizza experiments!

What did you get, and what did you have?

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 10:12:40 AM »
What did you get, and what did you have?

I had the 3/8" 14 x 16 ish thing sold as the Baking Steel.  I bought it before joining this site, and had ideas of making Neapolitan pies.  Months later,  trying to make NY Style pies, I wanted to get something so I could make larger pies.  So using Scott's guide, I got two 9" x 20" pieces of steel, 1/2" thick.  I'm going to finish cleaning it today, and test it out with the last of my KABF pies tomorrow.
Josh

Offline JD

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 10:25:55 AM »
I had the 3/8" 14 x 16 ish thing sold as the Baking Steel.  I bought it before joining this site, and had ideas of making Neapolitan pies.  Months later,  trying to make NY Style pies, I wanted to get something so I could make larger pies.  So using Scott's guide, I got two 9" x 20" pieces of steel, 1/2" thick.  I'm going to finish cleaning it today, and test it out with the last of my KABF pies tomorrow.

Very cool, that's the exact size plates I have. It's actually a bit too much for my oven but I think my oven is a bit of an anomaly. Powerful main lower level burner but pathetic broiler. Getting the proper balance is bit of a challenge for me.

What was your bake time on the 3/8"?

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »
Very cool, that's the exact size plates I have. It's actually a bit too much for my oven but I think my oven is a bit of an anomaly. Powerful main lower level burner but pathetic broiler. Getting the proper balance is bit of a challenge for me.

What was your bake time on the 3/8"?

Exactly five minutes.  I've had to completely skip the broiler because if I can't get it to kick in when I want, then there seems to be no point in using it, or the upper racks in my oven.  Instead, I put the 3/8" steel on the lowest rack, and I've been using foil as a false ceiling set about 4" over the steel.  It isn't perfect and some parts of the top of my pies cook a little more than others, but in general it seems to work.  I'm considering trying to use the old 3/8" steel as part of my false ceiling setup.
Josh

Offline JD

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 10:46:12 AM »
Exactly five minutes.  I've had to completely skip the broiler because if I can't get it to kick in when I want, then there seems to be no point in using it, or the upper racks in my oven.  Instead, I put the 3/8" steel on the lowest rack, and I've been using foil as a false ceiling set about 4" over the steel.  It isn't perfect and some parts of the top of my pies cook a little more than others, but in general it seems to work.  I'm considering trying to use the old 3/8" steel as part of my false ceiling setup.

5 minutes is great. I wouldn't suggest putting the 1/2" steel on the lower level, you will likely be way out of balance. If your broiler does not turn on at full temp, you can lower the temp 25 degrees or so and it should kick in on demand. With 1/2" steel, you may not need 550 degrees to get 5 minute bake times, I know I don't.

A false ceiling will never be more radiant than a broiler, so you should definitely start playing around with your broiler again.

scott123

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
A false ceiling will never be more radiant than a broiler, so you should definitely start playing around with your broiler again.

I agree.

Josh (quixoteQ), is your oven a newer model with a keypad?  I've seen some keypad models that go up to 550 on bake, but only 500 on broil.  If this is you, and you pre-heated the oven to a full 550, it would definitely take a while for the oven to cool and the broiler to kick in.  Still though, as JD so aptly put it, a false ceiling will never give you the top browning that a broiler will- at least not at 550 and with steel as a hearth.

I would see if the oven can be calibrated up.  If it can, there's a chance the calibration might impact the broiler as well (although it might not). If the broiler does cut out at 500 and calibration gives you 35 degrees, then that's pretty comfortable territory for steel.

If all else fails, since the advent of steel, this technique hasn't been discussed much, but you might want to think about the frozen towel trick.

Another thing that I've noticed with some of the newer model ovens is that the broiler (and the convection) seem to take some time to get up and running, so perhaps the broiler isn't cutting out because of temperature, but it's more of a warm up thing.  Maybe.  It'll be a while before I fully understand keypad ovens.

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
Trust me, I'd love to establish a reliable broiler system.  I'm not sure my oven qualifies as newer or not. It's at least ten years old, but yes, it does have a keypad.  It's max temp is 500F but I have calibrated it +30 for the purposes of my 3/8" steel false ceiling setup.

I agree.

I would see if the oven can be calibrated up.  If it can, there's a chance the calibration might impact the broiler as well (although it might not). If the broiler does cut out at 500 and calibration gives you 35 degrees, then that's pretty comfortable territory for steel.

If all else fails, since the advent of steel, this technique hasn't been discussed much, but you might want to think about the frozen towel trick.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the calibration affecting the broiler.  If my oven max is 500, which it is, but I then calibrate it up 30 degrees, how do anticipate this will affect the broiler, and what do you suggest as far as temperature setting?

I've read about the frozen sock system, which seems to come attached with the slight drawback of starting fires.  I like fire okay, but . . .
Josh

scott123

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »
I've seen this before. The calibration is allowing you to set the oven at 500 and reach 530 on the bake setting, but the broiler won't kick on until the oven cools to 500.

Do you have a link to someone who started a fire using the frozen towel (or sock) trick?  As far as I can recall, the worst thing I've ever seen happen is plastic molding melting- or something to that effect, and I'm not even sure that it was this particular hack, but, rather, a cleaning cycle hack.

Whether or not this was responsible for a fire, I guarantee you that it wasn't in the context of what you'd be using the frozen towel for- namely, to keep the broiler on for a minute or two at 530ish.  If a fire was started, it was someone attempting to push the pre-heat temp at least another 100 degrees, and most likely 200+ degrees higher.  From a safety perspective, pushing the oven to a much higher temp than stock is apples and oranges to making sure the broiler kicks in. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:11:51 PM by scott123 »

pizzapan