Author Topic: Two Pies  (Read 5051 times)

Offline JD

Re: Two Pies
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2014, 12:21:24 PM »
Only thing missing is some mushrooms  ;D

Seriously though, looks really good from over here.

25 questions:

How did the bottom look after 5 minutes?
Do you have an IR gun and did you measure the steel temp?
Did your broiler not turn on at 530*, or is it just weak?

I ask the questions because my steel experience is unlike most others, and I wish someone would have the same problems I do. Not trying to wish that on you, but statistically someone out there will eventually.

Offline quixoteQ

• Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2014, 01:17:06 PM »
You'll think this is funny, but when I was much younger and had just graduated from college, I went on a backpacking/train journey around Europe and the Middle East.  During the first month of the trip I decided I was going to overcome my aversion to mushroom , so I ate mushrooms with every meal (which, to be fair, wasn't many since I was living on a tight budget).  I ate canned and fresh, cooked and raw, so on.  I would say that my fear of them in my food was overcome--I can eat pretty much anything--but I'll never like them  ;D.

I'm eating a leftover slice now, so I'll attach a butt shot.  So, interesting about the steel temperature: I have recorded a 504F score once with my infrared.  The oven's max is 500 but I have it calibrated to 530.  I'm not sure if this is the cause of the unhelpful broiler or not.  In my tests throughout last week, I would move the steel to different racks and give it a full two hours pre-heating at 530F, take a quick infrared, then switch on the broiler and time how long it took to ignite.  Once it ignited I would take a second infrared reading to see the new steel temperature.

Without going crazy with numbers here, the gist was that the lower I placed the steel in the oven, the hotter it got during the preheat and the quicker (a relative term, the quickest ignition was 4m30s) the broiler ignited.  In general, the temperature of the steel at lower positions was between 490-500 before attempting the broiler, and a good 30 degrees cooler at higher positions.

Finally, in addition to terrible response time, my broiler pipe is a single tube that runs part of the short distance across the middle of the ceiling; not great for 17" pies.
Josh

Offline JD

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »
If you made an effort to try mushrooms and still don't like them, I can respect that.

I like the looks of that picture, seems like 5 minutes is a good time for the undercarriage. The fact that you have a 500* oven is a significant issue though, so now I understand better what you're up against. Does your broiler turn on and stay on at the 500* range? If not, and you're up for another test, I spent a lot of time in the 450* range with my 1/2" steel which gave me 7-8 minute bake times in combination with the broiler. It sounds like you want a little crisp anyway, so a longer bake time is going to help get that. I wouldn't go right down to 450, maybe 480. Plan for 7 minutes with broiler for 2 of those 7 minutes.

The key is figuring out what the highest temperature you can achieve that allows your broiler to stay on for 2 full minutes.

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
If you made an effort to try mushrooms and still don't like them, I can respect that.

I like the looks of that picture, seems like 5 minutes is a good time for the undercarriage. The fact that you have a 500* oven is a significant issue though, so now I understand better what you're up against. Does your broiler turn on and stay on at the 500* range? If not, and you're up for another test, I spent a lot of time in the 450* range with my 1/2" steel which gave me 7-8 minute bake times in combination with the broiler. It sounds like you want a little crisp anyway, so a longer bake time is going to help get that. I wouldn't go right down to 450, maybe 480. Plan for 7 minutes with broiler for 2 of those 7 minutes.

The key is figuring out what the highest temperature you can achieve that allows your broiler to stay on for 2 full minutes.

I think that I should be able keep the broiler on for two minutes.  I'm not entirely sure how the broiler will perform if I set the oven temperature a bit lower, if, for example, I recalibrate the oven back to 500, or set it to 480 as you say.  One significant issue I had with my tests last week was that it took so long for the broiler to turn on that the steel lost a lot of heat before ignition.  If I could lower the oven temperature and get the broiler on when I want it on, that would definitely be a worthwhile test.

Do you have any photos of pies that had the longer bakes?  Whole pie photos and/pr crumb shots would be great.

I don't have time to run broiler tests this week, unfortunately.  I have two more pies to bake tonight, and I'm going to use my current setup just to compare 4 and 5 day results; and then I'm off to New York this weekend.  But I'm going to take your advice and run the tests again next week at lower temperatures.
Josh

Offline JD

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2014, 03:28:21 PM »
I think this most recent bake was 6.5 minutes at 475:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg327842#msg327842

This was the 450* I mentioned earlier (last year):

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23608.msg239730#msg239730

Your broiler may have taken so long to turn on because the high temp cutoff was activated. If you turn your broiler on in a cold oven, that is the real speed your broiler turns on. Otherwise, you're just waiting for it to cool down enough to deactivate the safety cutoff. I don't know anything about the effects of calibrating ovens & safety cutoff switches, so you'll have to experiment yourself.

Offline quixoteQ

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2014, 03:41:24 PM »
I think this most recent bake was 6.5 minutes at 475:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg327842#msg327842

This was the 450* I mentioned earlier (last year):

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23608.msg239730#msg239730

Your broiler may have taken so long to turn on because the high temp cutoff was activated. If you turn your broiler on in a cold oven, that is the real speed your broiler turns on. Otherwise, you're just waiting for it to cool down enough to deactivate the safety cutoff. I don't know anything about the effects of calibrating ovens & safety cutoff switches, so you'll have to experiment yourself.

Those pies look great, Josh!  I'm going to have to give that a shot. 
Josh

Offline JD

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
Just be forewarned, I think my oven is not like the rest. I could never run at 550 without terrible scorching, but others seem to have no problem. My IR gun says otherwise, but I think in general my plate gets hotter than others. I've had it for over a year now, still fine tuning and learning.