You'll think this is funny, but when I was much younger and had just graduated from college, I went on a backpacking/train journey around Europe and the Middle East. During the first month of the trip I decided I was going to overcome my aversion to mushroom , so I ate mushrooms with every meal (which, to be fair, wasn't many since I was living on a tight budget). I ate canned and fresh, cooked and raw, so on. I would say that my fear of them in my food was overcome--I can eat pretty much anything--but I'll never like them
I'm eating a leftover slice now, so I'll attach a butt shot. So, interesting about the steel temperature: I have recorded a 504F score once with my infrared. The oven's max is 500 but I have it calibrated to 530. I'm not sure if this is the cause of the unhelpful broiler or not. In my tests throughout last week, I would move the steel to different racks and give it a full two hours pre-heating at 530F, take a quick infrared, then switch on the broiler and time how long it took to ignite. Once it ignited I would take a second infrared reading to see the new steel temperature.
Without going crazy with numbers here, the gist was that the lower I placed the steel in the oven, the hotter it got during the preheat and the quicker (a relative term, the quickest ignition was 4m30s) the broiler ignited. In general, the temperature of the steel at lower positions was between 490-500 before attempting the broiler, and a good 30 degrees cooler at higher positions.
Finally, in addition to terrible response time, my broiler pipe is a single tube that runs part of the short distance across the middle of the ceiling; not great for 17" pies.