Author Topic: keeping a big order of pizzas from getting soggy for delivery  (Read 934 times)

Offline papapizza

• I Love Pizza!
Hello I'm only in the business 8 months. I will have an order of about 30 pizzas.  How can i keep the already made pizza from getting soggy in the box while waiting for the others to get done?

Offline Gags

Re: keeping a big order of pizzas from getting soggy for delivery
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »
Not sure of your set-up, but when I was growing up in NYC, we'd see the finished pies (in boxes) stacked in the space above the Baker's Pride oven and below the hood.
I guess with the box vents open, it allowed some steam out, but still kept them somewhat warm.

I tried looking up thermal bags that tout the ability to stop the moisture issue, but didn't find any...
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:31:06 PM »
papapizza,

See http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/pizza-sweats-in-the-box.7974/#post-54931 and http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/anyone-use-dri-pie-to-keep-the-liquids-from-getting.801/#post-3634 and http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/work-flow-for-handling-large-orders.14655/

If you register at the PMQ Think Tank, which is frequented by mainly pizza operators, you will be able to ask your questions there and also to search the PMQTT archives.

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »
I did a study a number of years ago using the insulated pizza bags (hot bags) to see how well they worked at keeping pizzas hot/warm. Our cut off temperature was 140F. We used 12-inch thin crust pizzas for all of our testing and we found that a single pizza in a bag designed for a single pizza remained warm for between 25 and 30-minutes while when we put two pizzas into a double bag the time increased to approximately 40-minutes. None of this however addressed the steaming problem that the pizzas suffer from when placed into the insulated bags. When we placed boxes on top of the oven only the bottom box stayed acceptably warm while all of the others were insulated from the residual oven heat by the bottom box. What we did find to keep a number of pizzas warm for the longest period of time is a heated catering box/cabinet. We also found that the pizzas were a little less soggy out of the cabinet than when removed from an insulated bag. If you see a lot more of those big orders in your future, you might want to look into these cabinets.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »
The best way that works for me is to use a warmer cabinet with low humidity.  Instead of using boxes, I place the finished hot pizza on a ripple sheet, pizza is uncut, then on the trays.  Depending on how busy you are and how many ovens you have those pizzas can be in there a while if you have less oven capacity.  Once the order is getting close to being down, pizzas are pulled from the warmer, cut on the ripple, boxed and back in the warmer for the driver to pick up.  Since the crust is not cut for the majority of the time in the box, the crust stays in far better shape.  Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fast to cut and place back into the warmer.  Humidity in the warmer needs tuning, no humidity if you have oven capacity and fast people.  If the pizza sits in there for a longer time, low humidity helps keep the pizza appearance fresher.  You have to tweek this element to work with the flow

Just my 2 cents...

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
I agree with the humidity/warming box.  We use an 18 rack  one to proof our bread and bagels most of the time but when we get a large pizza order they go in the box with some humidity on perforated pans once they are pulled off the stone and stay there until getting boxed and cut.   Our vintage blodgett 1000 ovens can only hold 4-18" pizzas each (we have 2 ovens).  Walter
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:59:01 PM by waltertore »

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:23:26 PM »
An easy cheap answer is to make this delivery in stages, maybe making 3 or 4 smaller deliveries as the pizzas are baked.  You will be delivering a much better product, and they all will be hot.

John

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 08:08:17 AM »
An easy cheap answer is to make this delivery in stages, maybe making 3 or 4 smaller deliveries as the pizzas are baked.  You will be delivering a much better product, and they all will be hot.

John

That is a great idea if one has delivery service.  For a small place like ours we don't and 99% of our business if for 5 pies or less.  We have seating for about 12 so most is take out and we plan the pies for 5 minutes after the scheduled pick up to keep the odds high the customer will see it come out of the oven and into the box.  When we do get 10 or more orders and they are for pick up that heated box comes in great.  I can lay about 9 pies out on top of our blodgett 1000 oven stack but like Tom says only the ones in contact with the oven will stay warm. Walter

Offline RPCLady

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 04:17:13 PM »
We have also had this issue. We are a very small, family-run operation, in a very rural town in NE Washington....  We don't deliver EXCEPT for large orders to the Gold Mine that is nearly a 90 min drive (we are the ONLY Pizza restaurant in our entire county (in 1 hr drive in any direction)    Because its our largest repeat customer, those bottoms getting soggy is a concern.  Although we do put the boxes in the warming bags for transport.

We've looked into a several of options, some we got from the PMQ ThinkTank of box liners that allow the juices from the veggie pizzas drain away so the cut crust doesn't soak it up.  I've seen corrugated liners (Like a half sheet of cardboard ripple stuff, there are some high end white dimpled paper liners that are very expensive unless you can order in a quantity to get the per unit price way down. We have never tried the corrugated ones, and the white paper ones still got soggy in our test trial.

We also found some cut plastic screens (looks mesh like the screens we build our pizzas on and bake in our brick oven) and out of all that we've tried, we found the plastic mesh the very best option.....only again very expensive for our very low volume.  We do have some customers who must drive home 40 min - 1 hr away who just won't buy our cooked pizzas because of the soggy factor by the time they get home.   We have tested this white mesh plastic liners with these customers, and ask that they are careful with them and bring them back.  They've been very happy as the crust does not get soggy!  They are easy to clean and sanitize in our dish washer.   We have not yet ordered a supply trying to justify the cost to put these into our production...but if we do, we will likely charge a small deposit fee to be returned when the customer brings the liner back... its the only way we can think to justify what goes out our door.  Next, at least for customers who drive such a long distance and who do not want a 'take-n-bake' pizza, we've also suggested they ask for their pizza to not get cut at all when they order.  By not cutting the crust until just before they eat it, is a tip I got from a lifehacker site a couple of years ago....   I know not cutting the pizza for large orders is not practical however.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »
A good way to tank your business is to take orders you can't fill at the quality level the customer expects.

Just a couple days ago, someone was asking about pizza in DC, and I commented that 2Amys was not good. They didn't originally get their good reputation because they made bad pizza, but they burned it by sticking more tables in the restaurant than their oven can handle. As a result, they overwork the oven and the pies had gum lines.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:14:35 PM »
The best way that works for me is to use a warmer cabinet with low humidity.  Instead of using boxes, I place the finished hot pizza on a ripple sheet, pizza is uncut, then on the trays.  Depending on how busy you are and how many ovens you have those pizzas can be in there a while if you have less oven capacity.  Once the order is getting close to being down, pizzas are pulled from the warmer, cut on the ripple, boxed and back in the warmer for the driver to pick up.  Since the crust is not cut for the majority of the time in the box, the crust stays in far better shape.  Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fast to cut and place back into the warmer.  Humidity in the warmer needs tuning, no humidity if you have oven capacity and fast people.  If the pizza sits in there for a longer time, low humidity helps keep the pizza appearance fresher.  You have to tweek this element to work with the flow

Just my 2 cents...
Obviously, this guy knows what he is doing.  8)

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"