Author Topic: papa del's recipe on this site  (Read 13542 times)

stock

papa del's recipe on this site
« on: April 06, 2004, 11:24:13 PM »
for anyone that's made the papa del's deep dish on this site--did you use all of the dough in a single pizza?  i'm thinking of making this for friday, though 4 cups of flour seems like a lot of dough for a 10" pan.  i'm kinda hoping i'm supposed to use it all, so i have this super thick uber pizza to eat, though not if it will make it cook all funky.
-scott

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:papa del's recipe on this site
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 08:32:34 AM »
for anyone that's made the papa del's deep dish on this site--did you use all of the dough in a single pizza?  i'm thinking of making this for friday, though 4 cups of flour seems like a lot of dough for a 10" pan.  i'm kinda hoping i'm supposed to use it all, so i have this super thick uber pizza to eat, though not if it will make it cook all funky.
-scott

I used the entire batch of dough for one pizza... turned out nice and thick, just like Papa Del's!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 09:03:24 PM »
I used all the dough for one of them.  It came out thick.  Which I like.  It was delicious.  So much better than the pizeria uno recipe.
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

Aibreanowl

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 01:42:43 PM »
Yes, I used all of the dough in one pizza.  Yes, it is INCREDIBLY thick.  It was tasty, but not my favourite.  Turns out my favourite is the thin and crispy....so it's a poor choice for what I was looking for.

Abby

Darlene

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 08:42:46 AM »
My husband and I both worked at Papa Del's during our college years and I can give you a llittle help in making the recipe more authentic.  Pop's (Robert Monte-the owner) never would devulge the exact crust formula but I do know it also had olive oil in it.

Also after the sauce you  sprinkke whole thing with fresh ground romano cheese anbd then sprinkle with dried oregano.

Also the inside cheese was a blend of  Mozerella and monteray jack I believe He shreds his own cheese to make the blend.  For the stuffed pizza a small amount of sharp cheddar is added .

Hope you try and enjoy of few of these tips.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 09:23:47 AM »
I found this posting in the Usenet archives (circa 1992). How does it compare to what you remember?

The best deep dish pizza isn't from Chicago. It comes from a place called Papa Del's in Champaign-Urbana, home of the University of Illinois. Skeptics might check rec.food.cooking and note that several people are asking for Del's recipe this very week.

They're out of luck. Papa Del's keeps it's recipe a tightly guarded secret. You few, you hungry few, you band of eaters (whoops, wrong thread) are lucky to have me around, for I am about to spill the sausage.

Don't ask me how I got this. It is a sordid tale and all I will say is that I had nothing to do with the sexual favors involved.

I regret that I do not have specific measures for the spices or the instructions for the homemade sausage but apparently there are things that even sex won't buy.

And now, the home version of the recipe...

"Papa Del's Style" Pizza

------------------------
Preparation time: 2 1/2 hours
Cooking time: 45 minutes

STEP 1 - The Dough

Ingredients

3 1/2 C. flour (1 C. may be wheat flour)
    2 T. olive oil
    1 t. salt
    1 pkg. yeast (2 1/4 t.)
    2 t. honey
    1 1/3 C. warm water

Dissolve yeast in the water, then add the honey and oil. Let stand for about 10 min.

Combine flour and salt. Add bit by bit to the water and stir. When dough forms, knead in the rest of the flour. Knead for about 10 min. (or until it feels right).

Let dough rise for about 2 hrs (until doubled in size).

STEP 2 - The Sauce (make while dough is rising or the night before)

Ingredients

1 6oz can tomato paste
    1 16oz can tomatoes (or fresh, ripe tomatoes)
    2 t. olive oil
    salt
    garlic - minced
    thyme
    black pepper
    red pepper
    oregano
    basil
    any other spices you feel like putting in

Chop up the tomatoes, mix with the tomato paste, and place in a large covered pot (it likes to splatter) on low heat. Add salt and spices - the more spices, the better! - until it tastes right. Continue cooking and stiring till the dough is done. (You might consider adding chopped onion, green pepper and pre-cooked hot italian sausage to the sauce, although Del's doesn't do this.)

STEP 3 - Toppings

Ingredients

2 to 2 1/2 lbs of Mozzarella cheese

Any or all of the following:
         sausage (pre-cooked)
         pepperoni
         onions
         green peppers
         olives
         mushrooms
         bacon

You know what you like on your pizza - prepare them while the sauce is cooking. Precooking the sausage is recommended.

Step 4 - Assembling and Cooking the Pizza

When the dough is ready lightly flour it and roll it slightly larger than the pan to be used (a 12 inch cast iron skillet is recommended, although you could use a 9x13 inch pan or something similar). Oil the pan well. Put the dough over the top of the pan and slide it down so that it fits the pan. Make sure there is at least a 1" lip.

Spread the Mozzarella cheese in the bottom of the pizza so that no dough is showing through.

Add whichever of the following ingredients you want in this order:

pepperoni
    onions, green peppers, olives
    the sauce
    sausage
    mushrooms, bacon

Sprinkle top with some Parmesan or Romano cheese, followed by some oregano.

Sprinkle olive oil on exposed areas of cheese, pepperoni, and whatever else might burn. Spread oil on top edge of dough.

Preheat oven to 400F. Cook pizza at this temp for about 45 min.

Let cool until cheese thickens.

Eat.

Note: cooking time and temperature may be different in your oven.

--karsten

Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline TheDoughMaker

• I Love Pizza!
Re: papa del's recipe on this site
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 02:16:25 AM »
I hate to burst everyones bubble, but I worked at Papa Del's. I made a lot of dough, and the recipe on this site isn't Papa Dels dough recipe. I might taste something like it, but it isn't it.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 07:37:57 AM »
Can you share some of what you know about their recipe?  :)

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 09:56:55 AM »
My husband and I both worked at Papa Del's during our college years and I can give you a llittle help in making the recipe more authentic.  Pop's (Robert Monte-the owner) never would devulge the exact crust formula but I do know it also had olive oil in it.

Also after the sauce you  sprinkke whole thing with fresh ground romano cheese anbd then sprinkle with dried oregano.

Also the inside cheese was a blend of  Mozerella and monteray jack I believe He shreds his own cheese to make the blend.  For the stuffed pizza a small amount of sharp cheddar is added .

Hope you try and enjoy of few of these tips.

I worked there too in '85 and '86, and the cheese was ONLY mozzarella, although it was a 50/50 blend of Whole milk, and part-skim mozzarella. I remember we had to unload the truck when it came in from Chicago, and I would use the dough mixer with the meat grinder attachment to grind the cheeses. I think that consistency from grinding it in the meat grinder adds something to the end result.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 10:07:19 AM »
I'll be passing through Champaign in about three weeks on my way out to Wisconsin. And, yes, I'll be stopping at Papa Dels for dinner! The last time I was there they said that they would give me a tour of the kitchen but then quickly reneg'd on the offer. I'll ask again this time!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 11:51:22 AM »
Take plenty of pictures!
How does the Papa Dels recipe on the recipe page compare to the real thing?

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 12:08:47 PM »
Take plenty of pictures!
How does the Papa Dels recipe on the recipe page compare to the real thing?

Randy

That picture on the main site is a shot that I took at the restaurant the last time I was there. The recipe is pretty close to the real deal.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 01:47:03 PM »
Steve,

When you go make sure you try the thin crust as well. Man, a Papa Del's thin crust sausage pizza was just about the best thing about college years, um, gulp, decades ago.

pizzapan