Author Topic: Meet Rocket, my custom electric Neapolitan oven.  (Read 4718 times)

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Meet Rocket, my custom electric Neapolitan oven.
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 01:24:06 PM »
They were pretty malleable, I just did it by hand (though I took my time at it).

Thanks!   My first try with hand bending an element resulted in killing the element and I ended up sourcing custom elements instead. 

I have a bit different set up, but the attached images are a good sample of pie quality.  Currently I'm dealing with  different temperatures from front to rear since I'm running an uninsulated and unsealed front door right now

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
Thanks!   My first try with hand bending an element resulted in killing the element and I ended up sourcing custom elements instead.

Where did you get the custom elements from?  If it's not too pricy, that would be interesting to play with as well.

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »
Where did you get the custom elements from?  If it's not too pricy, that would be interesting to play with as well.

I designed and sourced them from a tubular heating element company in china.   I currently have 2 that are 120V, 2000W and 2 that are 240V 3000W.  I haven't even tried the 3000W elements as 240V is not very feasible for the consumer market.  Both the same design as shown.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
That's not a bad idea.  I'm pretty happy with the internal design at the moment, but I know I'm going to want to tinker with it more down the road, and this seems like a pretty obvious thing to try out next.

One problem I ran into with early revisions was that the heating element would actually touch and burn into the crust, which tasted awful.  The smokey joe is so small and there's not enough room to move the elements down anymore than they already are.  This obviously means I should try things out with a larger grill!

Weber makes a larger one- the "Jumbo Joe".  I bet that would work in there.

I was originally worried the pizza stone wouldn't be able to retain enough heat to cook the bottom*, so the first rev had an element below.  However it only ever helped to burn the bottom.  In the current design, the elements on top do more than enough to heat up the stone and the first pizza in usually has the underside cooked a little too much - but the subsequent pizzas are always perfect.  I just need to let it air out or add a dial in there somewhere to turn down the heat for the first pie.

* When I cooked pizzas in my old WFO, I would make 300-320 gram dough balls.  I originally did this in the Rocket as well, but while the pie looked amazing there were parts of it that had uncooked dough- and I'm not sure if you've experienced this or not, but it sucks.  Imagine taking a bite into a delicious looking slice, and then recoiling because holy crap- the dough is still sticky and wet.

Dialing the weight of the balls down to 280g seems to be the sweet spot for Rocket.  It's a slightly smaller pizza so there's less transfer needed from the stone and the edges stay away from the heating elements.
Thanks for the feedback ccgus.  Your comments make good sense.
Dave

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
I looked for replacement elements to fit a particular oven, and ran across bendable elements  - one source is  http://www.mcmaster.com/#tubular-heat-elements/=sn1j8p  I ended up going a different route so don't know if these would work, since the specified application is water immersion, however I found a few guys who were using them to heat bamboo rods. 

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »
I looked for replacement elements to fit a particular oven, and ran across bendable elements  - one source is  http://www.mcmaster.com/#tubular-heat-elements/=sn1j8p  I ended up going a different route so don't know if these would work, since the specified application is water immersion, however I found a few guys who were using them to heat bamboo rods.

Those should work.   They are rated to 1700 degrees.   The problem with them is the relatively high cost for the power.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »
Ccgus,

For those of us interested in doing something similar do you have a barebones set of instructions you'd be willing to pass along, either privately or in PM?

I am very interested in crafting something along these lines, but am not very familiar with the necessary equipment.

Thanks,

Pete

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 08:19:19 AM »
Those should work.   They are rated to 1700 degrees.   The problem with them is the relatively high cost for the power.
+1 on the McMaster bendable elements.  Good find Barry.

I'm not quite sure what Sean means for "high cost of power".  Maybe it was high cost of part (heating element)?  Otherwise, I'm not sure that the electricity cost is so high as to be a significant factor.  If so, we can work on that...

Dave

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »
I had the same issue with my electric oven, the ceramic infrared emitters I used work great, but were expensive.  I tried to buy bulk direct from manufacturers but they never responded to my inquiries.
-Jeff

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
For those of us interested in doing something similar do you have a barebones set of instructions you'd be willing to pass along, either privately or in PM?

I'm only going to post what I did on my website (the pics, and the parts list: http://shapeof.com/pizzalab/archives/2014/6/rocket.html ).  Messing around with this stuff can be pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (and even if you do).  I don't want to contribute to anyone getting hurt.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »
I'm only going to post what I did on my website (the pics, and the parts list: http://shapeof.com/pizzalab/archives/2014/6/rocket.html ).  Messing around with this stuff can be pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (and even if you do).  I don't want to contribute to anyone getting hurt.
Thanks for the link Gus.  With all the fiddling you have done on ovens, I reckon we could have a common ancestor. :D  If I ever move back to the Northwest, we'll have bend some elements, throw some coal, or split wood.  The fuel door on Marvin is very nice.  Besides your innovation and experience, I especially appreciate your parts-list links on the Rocket.
Dave

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 12:01:55 AM »

I understand, thank you.

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »
+1 on the McMaster bendable elements.  Good find Barry.

I'm not quite sure what Sean means for "high cost of power".  Maybe it was high cost of part (heating element)?  Otherwise, I'm not sure that the electricity cost is so high as to be a significant factor.  If so, we can work on that...

Dave

The high cost for the power I am referencing is specifically the elements from Mcmaster are quite expensive compared to a traditional element.  Generally everything from Mcmaster is more expensive than  from the actual manufacturer. As for cost to run the oven, it is generally around $6 worth of electricity when I fire mine up to make a decent number of pizzas.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 06:02:55 PM »
And one more from earlier today.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
And one more from earlier today.

Nice. Have you tried fresh jalapenos? I like them a lot more than pickled on pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »
Nice. Have you tried fresh jalapenos? I like them a lot more than pickled on pizza.

Was thinking the same... Nice looking pie though..dough looks great.. ;D

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 11:36:59 PM »

I have, I just usually forget to pick them up.  Very tasty.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »
Details from today's lunch.  The oven is going strong.

This pie was made w/ leaven, bulk raise for 14 hours and then balled 3.5 hours.  45 second bakes.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
Details from today's lunch.  The oven is going strong.

This pie was made w/ leaven, bulk raise for 14 hours and then balled 3.5 hours.  45 second bakes.
Very nice.  I'd like to bite into that.  Are the jalapenos the burn twice variety, or just fun?  I've had both, but I prefer fun.  Love the underside color.
Dave

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »
pickled pussywillows.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"