Author Topic: Meet Rocket, my custom electric Neapolitan oven.  (Read 6186 times)

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Meet Rocket, my custom electric Neapolitan oven.
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »
I looked for replacement elements to fit a particular oven, and ran across bendable elements  - one source is  http://www.mcmaster.com/#tubular-heat-elements/=sn1j8p  I ended up going a different route so don't know if these would work, since the specified application is water immersion, however I found a few guys who were using them to heat bamboo rods.

Those should work.   They are rated to 1700 degrees.   The problem with them is the relatively high cost for the power.

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »
Ccgus,

For those of us interested in doing something similar do you have a barebones set of instructions you'd be willing to pass along, either privately or in PM?

I am very interested in crafting something along these lines, but am not very familiar with the necessary equipment.

Thanks,

Pete

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 08:19:19 AM »
Those should work.   They are rated to 1700 degrees.   The problem with them is the relatively high cost for the power.
+1 on the McMaster bendable elements.  Good find Barry.

I'm not quite sure what Sean means for "high cost of power".  Maybe it was high cost of part (heating element)?  Otherwise, I'm not sure that the electricity cost is so high as to be a significant factor.  If so, we can work on that...

Dave

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »
I had the same issue with my electric oven, the ceramic infrared emitters I used work great, but were expensive.  I tried to buy bulk direct from manufacturers but they never responded to my inquiries.
-Jeff

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
For those of us interested in doing something similar do you have a barebones set of instructions you'd be willing to pass along, either privately or in PM?

I'm only going to post what I did on my website (the pics, and the parts list: http://shapeof.com/pizzalab/archives/2014/6/rocket.html ).  Messing around with this stuff can be pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (and even if you do).  I don't want to contribute to anyone getting hurt.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »
I'm only going to post what I did on my website (the pics, and the parts list: http://shapeof.com/pizzalab/archives/2014/6/rocket.html ).  Messing around with this stuff can be pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (and even if you do).  I don't want to contribute to anyone getting hurt.
Thanks for the link Gus.  With all the fiddling you have done on ovens, I reckon we could have a common ancestor. :D  If I ever move back to the Northwest, we'll have bend some elements, throw some coal, or split wood.  The fuel door on Marvin is very nice.  Besides your innovation and experience, I especially appreciate your parts-list links on the Rocket.
Dave

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 12:01:55 AM »

I understand, thank you.

Offline seanc56

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »
+1 on the McMaster bendable elements.  Good find Barry.

I'm not quite sure what Sean means for "high cost of power".  Maybe it was high cost of part (heating element)?  Otherwise, I'm not sure that the electricity cost is so high as to be a significant factor.  If so, we can work on that...

Dave

The high cost for the power I am referencing is specifically the elements from Mcmaster are quite expensive compared to a traditional element.  Generally everything from Mcmaster is more expensive than  from the actual manufacturer. As for cost to run the oven, it is generally around $6 worth of electricity when I fire mine up to make a decent number of pizzas.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 06:02:55 PM »
And one more from earlier today.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
And one more from earlier today.

Nice. Have you tried fresh jalapenos? I like them a lot more than pickled on pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »
Nice. Have you tried fresh jalapenos? I like them a lot more than pickled on pizza.

Was thinking the same... Nice looking pie though..dough looks great.. ;D

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 11:36:59 PM »

I have, I just usually forget to pick them up.  Very tasty.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »
Details from today's lunch.  The oven is going strong.

This pie was made w/ leaven, bulk raise for 14 hours and then balled 3.5 hours.  45 second bakes.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »

This pie was made w/ leaven, bulk raise for 14 hours and then balled 3.5 hours.  45 second bakes.
Very nice.  I'd like to bite into that.  Are the jalapenos the burn twice variety, or just fun?  I've had both, but I prefer fun.  Love the underside color.
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »
pickled pussywillows.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
Very nice.  I'd like to bite into that.  Are the jalapenos the burn twice variety, or just fun?  I've had both, but I prefer fun.  Love the underside color.
Dave

Thanks!  Burn twice?  I'm not sure what that is, but I don't think so.  They came out of a jar :|

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »

What kind of cheese is that? When I bake a 45 second pie, my cheese barely starts to melt - yours is not only fully melted, it's browning.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2014, 06:05:08 PM »
What kind of cheese is that? When I bake a 45 second pie, my cheese barely starts to melt - yours is not only fully melted, it's browning.

Interested to know as well.. i can tell you that last night i tried very small torn buffalo mozz...less than half the size i usually use and it liquefied in 60 seconds where as if i leave them at olive size i van get a ball shape at around 70 seconds.. ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »
Thanks!  Burn twice?  I'm not sure what that is, but I don't think so.  They came out of a jar :|
They go in, they go out. Mouth burn.... good, other end...not so good.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 11:52:44 PM »

It's shredded mozzarella.  In this case, Lucerne is the brand, and it comes in a little loaf which I shred up myself (the usual cheese I get was out of stock, and I can't remember the name).

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2014, 11:55:59 PM »
They go in, they go out. Mouth burn.... good, other end...not so good.  ;)

I should have gotten that.  But no, only a single burn as I've built up quite a tolerance over the years (and I add Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk sauce to it as well to give it more heat: http://www.secretaardvark.com/products/ )

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2014, 11:59:04 PM »
Here's a pic of the salami and jalapeņo pie before it was baked.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »
Here's a pic of the salami and jalapeņo pie before it was baked.
Nice looking pie before the bake.  I thought it was pepperoni, but salami with aardvark is even enticing.

Dave

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »
Random out loud thoughts: I've been thinking lately that I might try and encase everything in a bigger Weber (like Iowamcnabb is doing over here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32855.0 ).  Not because I want a bigger cooking area, but rather because I want more insulation to keep the outside from getting so hot, which would also hopefully keep things hotter inside, and maybe I could bring the wattage down from 2200 to something like 1800.  Things might become a bit unwieldy though, when trying to lift the lid off.  I might have to build a contraption to take the lid off like the old wild rise oven used to.

Anyway, here are some more recent pies, 45 seconds each (I use a little timer to know when to take the lid off).  A mix of natural leaven and yeast. (And by mix I mean, a couple were natural leaven, and a couple were yeast.  Never in the same dough :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:01:59 PM by ccgus »

pizzapan