Author Topic: Build options if I want a "relocatable" WFO  (Read 312 times)

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
Build options if I want a "relocatable" WFO
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »
Lurker for a while, love all the inforamation on the site. I am looking at WFO's no that my wife is on board. However, I have been complacent to take the pludge because it is fairly likely that I will be relocating for work in about 2 years time. I would hate to lose my WFO. So I was originally looking at a Roundboy for a few reasons
1. Decent starter oven to get my feet wet at an affordable entry level price
2. Probably more importantly, easily broken down at taken with me when/if the time comes

I would really like a round cooking surface with just a bit more space, but all the options I have been looking at i would have to build in the dome, ie stucco for decor. I would be putting either on a build "hearth" not just a raw stand. If I went with something like a FB P70 or Giardino70 I can't picture how I could take it with me without "disrupting" the oven. Anyone have any thoughts on my options?

Regards,

Offline shuboyje

Re: Build options if I want a "relocatable" WFO
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:20:26 PM »
You can build whatever you want relocatable, you just have to design it properly, they move buildings, an oven is nothing.

I've built 3 relocatable ovens.  A 30" oven built on a very over built pallet,  a 42" oven built on a rolling welded metal stand, and a small coal oven on a rolling metal stand that can be broken down to go in the bed of a truck with the oven.

-Jeff

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
Thanks Shuboyje, I guess my real question was, how can I design my build so that if needed I can get underneath the oven and bottom board to pick up and move with out having either a visable gap or a gap where bottom heat is lost.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 02:19:43 PM »
Would suggest that you build it on caster wheels base so you can take it with you.
A smaller size oven should be light enough so it can be loaded on a truck with a ramp.

What is going to be important is that your oven is attached, braced to the stand. That way it won't move while on the road, and prevent it from getting damaged or the stucco / oven cracking.
See attached picture.

If you plan on taking it apart, do your research and ask the manufacturer if they will cover that under their warranty. Many refractory concretes will develop some hairline cracks. After that I am not sure how well they will support being taken apart, moved and put back together.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Azdevil09

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
Thanks for the input Antoine, especially the last point as that was not something that I had thought of.