Author Topic: Please help choosing my WFO...  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Raym50

• I Love Pizza!
Please help choosing my WFO...
« on: May 11, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »
Hi

Last summer was my first introduction to wood fire pizza making, where I used the Weber Kettle solution. It was fund and cute with the kids and produced pretty good (not perfect) pizzas. Now I am ready to take it to the next level and to use a more legit setup.

My criteria are: (i) Needs to be relatively portable to be able to move the oven potentially 1 or 2 times a year for deck space, (ii) usage will be 1-2 times a week in the summer for parties of 6-8 (iii) WIll make mostly neopolitan pizza, but will also make NY style, and potentially other foods (meats, fish, cast iron parms) (iii) budget is 2-3k, (iv) no construction, looking for an all in one solution.

Here's what I found so far:

1. Alfa Forno (seems like the easiest one, but the least professional application)
http://www.costco.com/Alfa-Forno-Pepe-Italian-Wood-Fired-Oven-%2526-Cart-in-Red.product.100103646.html

2. Alfa Cupola
http://www.bbqguys.com/item_name_Alfa-Cupola-Wood-Burning-Pizza-Oven-On-Cart_path_7119-10494_item_2881318.html

3. Rustic (my favorite aesthetically)
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/rusticnaturalcedarwoodfiredovenredbrick.cfm

4. Bread Stone Ovens
http://www.breadstoneovens.com/collections/residential-ovens/products/outdoor-700-kit

I would appreciate any thoughts and feedback on members of the forum that have experience or knowledge on any of these ovens, or can recommend the same or perhaps another oven that I missed?

Thank you very much!
Ray

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Please help choosing my WFO...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
The owner of Bread Stone Ovens, Antoine, is a member here (bredstoneovens). He seems to give good, unbiased advice.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »

I have the Pizza Party 70x70. I am happy with it so far. Seen on this site.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline wolver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:36:11 AM »
I have the Pizza Party, is a great pizza oven  :chef: :chef:

Offline lucaadriani

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »
HI,
I am in the same boat, looking to buy. Have you looked at:

Forno Bravo strada, andiamo, or primavera
also check out zio ciro subito cotto

I'm looking at these because they have refractory bricks through out. Whereas the alfa's are not. They are much lighter but they are made with the inox steel I believe.

Offline Raym50

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »
I decided on the Vermont Wood Fire Oven, mostly because it is all clay, looks good with the stand and price. I got the AD60. I have not yet fired it up, but am excited to do so. I am first researching wood solutions. Seems like pine is a big no no , but they are eaisest to find in terms of kindling wood. I cant find hard wood kindlings, only huge logs....if anyone knows more, please inform!

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »
Get a good ax and split your own.  You won't find what you need ready made.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »
What are you going to do with kindling? Simply use it to start the fire? If so, don't even bother with it. Get something like this instead: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Inferno-Propane-Torch-Kit-KH825-01/100341111
Pizza is not bread.

Online stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »
Since you're in the city, you can check any furniture or cabinet makers and see if they have hardwood scraps.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
Ask the WFO pizzerias where they get their wood
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 08:54:59 AM »
Another choice is asking your neighbors!  If you had a lovely winter like we did here in pennsylvania, there are a ton of trees that were knocked down and people don't know what to do with them.  As for me, I lost two apples, a plum and a cherry tree (and a bad back from cutting  :)) now it is just a matter of letting the wood cure.  Of course I don't have my WFO yet but the wood is perfect for my smoker!
tom

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 09:49:28 PM »
Missed this thread all together until today. Been so busy, not enough hours in the day  ???

I don't think you choice of oven was bad, just take it easy when you fire it at first. Clay can be fragile during the curing.

For the wood, use tree trimmings. Fallen dead branches or if freshly cut give them 6 month and it is good to go. It is free, no need to split it. Very small branches to start the fire, then any pieces 1" to 2" in diameter is ideal.
Best of all it burn hotter, more flames, less embers.
If you are lucky, walking /  driving around your neighborhood you may find people who even cut them 3' long, bundle them and put them on the curb. Love those people  :-D

Try to stay away from fruit wood, apple, pear, cherry,... they tend to do a lot of embers with not enough flames. It is great for smoking, like Tom does, but not for getting a wood fired oven to temp.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline matermark

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
Why not just buy a bag of hickory/apple/pecan/cherry wood chunks from Amazon or Walmart? most are irregular shapes but about 2x3 or 2x4x2" pieces, a couple may be only 1" thick, some even 3x3 or so. Just be sure to get chunks, not chips. I bought a bag of each flavor for my smoker--most were around $6.99-$9.99--I usually go to pecan for most uses--it's milder than hickory. Walmart usually has hickory & mesquite, maybe $4.99-$6.99. I bought some from both places; pecan isn't as widely available, but a year or so ago I got pecan & apple from Amazon, Weber brand, for $6.99 each and free shipping if the order was over $25. (Now it must be over $35 as of earlier this year.)