Author Topic: KASL for cheap  (Read 4362 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
KASL for cheap
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:01:20 PM »
I just got an email from KA; they have implemented a new shipping policy which allows for a $15 shipment for $5 (haven't checked their prices specifically, but this seems to be about enough to purchase a 50lb bag of KASL)...
This might already be common knowledge to the board, but it is headlines material for me, as I've always been discouraged to buy from them as surely a 50lb bag of flour would be ridiculously expensive to ship.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
Re: KASL for cheap
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 03:29:01 PM »
Something has GOT to be wrong with that.  There's simply no way that they could ship 50 lb for $5.
--pat--

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 04:00:37 PM »
enchant,

For some clarification, you may want to take a look at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3177.msg27001.html#msg27001. I don't know if what I found by going to the KA website is what ihavezippers has in mind, but it does look like the total cost for KASL, including shipping, has gone down.

Peter

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:07:08 PM »
enchant,

For some clarification, you may want to take a look at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3177.msg27001.html#msg27001. I don't know if what I found by going to the KA website is what ihavezippers has in mind, but it does look like the total cost for KASL, including shipping, has gone down.

Peter

I've posted their email below for your reading pleasure.

Dear Fellow Baker,

Thank you for writing. I am sorry but at this time Dawn is the only distributor in your area. Sir Lancelot Hi-Gluten flour is not available through regular outlets such as retail stores. We do have a new shipping policy in place now that is based on dollar amount instead of the weight. You can purchase up to $15.00 worth of merchandise for $5.00 shipping.

I hope this information will be helpful. Please email again if we can be of further assistance.

Happy Baking

Offline enchant

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:12:59 AM »
Where can you make this purchase with the $5 shipping?  Do they have a website with online ordering?
--pat--

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 11:19:29 AM »
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/

When you order sign up for the baker's circle.  You received points (I think 1 for each $10 you spend) that can be used towards future orders. 

The baking circle is also a great message board geared towards baking  :chef:

Deb

Offline enchant

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:29:10 AM »
I just checked, and you CAN order $15 worth of flour with $5 shipping, but (unless I'm really overlooking something) they only sell KASL in 3 lb bags, and  $15 will only get you 18 lb.
--pat--

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 11:01:02 PM »
I just checked, and you CAN order $15 worth of flour with $5 shipping, but (unless I'm really overlooking something) they only sell KASL in 3 lb bags, and  $15 will only get you 18 lb.

I saw this too, and was discouraged.  But I could have sworn people in the past on this board have ordered 50lb bags of KASL from KA. 
I defer to Peter...Peter?  Does KA ship 50lb bags of KASL?  I was thinking there might be a "professional" section of KA's website where they list the 50lb bags.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »
ihavezippers,

I think it may be possible to buy a 50-lb. bag of KASL directly from KA at their offices in Vermont, but to the best of my knowledge you otherwise have to buy the flour from distributors. I checked the Vermont distributor lists at the KA website (at the professionals section) and King Arthur itself was not listed.

Peter

Offline enob

• I Really Really Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 04:53:43 PM »
I have had success ordering via the The Flour Shack I paid $10.25 per 25 pondsof KASL, my last order which was for 2 25lb bags I paid  $13.95 shipping and received it in 2 days     

Offline enchant

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 04:57:20 PM »
I didn't even know that KASL came in 25 lb bags.  Where is The Flour Shack?  Do they have a website?
--pat--

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline enchant

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 09:10:15 PM »
Oh - flour SACK.  No wonder google couldn't find it.

Does King Arthur really make it in those various sizes (5/10/15)?  I thought it was only available in 3 and 50 lb bags. 
--pat--

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 09:14:59 PM »
Hmmmm.... they're selling a 25 pound sack of KASL for $10.25 with shipping at $12... that's $22 total. Fellow member Wayno was able to get me (and himself) 50 pound sacks of KASL for $20 from the local Panera Bread shop in town (he talked to the manager who ordered some for us.) You might want to try the same.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 09:32:12 PM »
Enchant I wondered the same thing.

They say they are bulk foods, so I was wondering if they are repackaging and shipping. I'd imagine that would jack their cost up. So then I'm wondering if they are repacking in inferior packaging.

I'd like to find out a bit more before I'd considering ordering.

Maybe enob can enlighten us?
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline enob

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 11:19:22 PM »
Definitely repackaged in clear doubled pastic bags, I also weighted the bags and they are right on the mark. Since I cannot be absolutely sure it's the same KASL flour unless I did some chemical testing but the results and flavor are exactly the the same i achevied when i purchased from KA directly.

here's the link:

http://www.floursack.com/merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=142053&Category_Code=FL

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 11:41:16 PM »
Enob

Thank you

When you aorder 25 lbs. how was it packaged? Two 10 lbs and one 5 lbs? Or did they seriously have 25 lbs bags?

Offline enob

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 12:30:22 AM »
1 25lb double plastic wrapped bag which helps keep the elements out...

Offline enchant

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 08:18:46 AM »
It seems that there are a lot of people struggling with the same quandry.  50 lb of KASL is very cheap, but it's WAY too much flour for their personal use.

It would be nice if there was some sort of way to connect people who are local to each other and would like to split a bag.  It pains me to think that there might be four other people within short driving distance from me that might be interested in 10 lb of KASL for three bucks.
--pat--

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 02:37:47 PM »
Right now the bakerscatalogue is selling KASL for $2.50/ 3 pound bag. I don't think that is the cheapest most people have found, but it's not bad considering you don't need to store 50lbs and it comes to your door with the added shipping. (Which is really cheap and convenient IMO.)

pizzapan