Author Topic: Changed from twice daily, to once daily feeding and...  (Read 811 times)

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Changed from twice daily, to once daily feeding and...
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:36:51 AM »
Hey guys,

As some of you might know, I have been experimenting a little with my Ischia to learn a little more about it. I split my culture about a week ago, keeping half my stash in the fridge feed every 3 days, and my usual counter top starter (200 grams), which I fed 100 grams of flour and 100 grams of water twice daily.

After reading a little about how many members here feed once a day, or once every two days, I decided to switch it up because of work and feed only at night time once a day.

After only 2 days, my culture is still active (5-6 hour peak at 18-19c temp average) but has a distinctly nose singing sour aroma I just can't seem to shake. I have fed it twice today to see what happens.. But surely 24 hours of feeding shouldnt sour it that much? What is causing that?

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
Re: Changed from twice daily, to once daily feeding and...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:07:33 PM »
The one I keep out is pretty sour when I feed it, which is about every 3-4 days (approx 65-72 F room temp).
The refrigerator one is also a little sour when I feed it, which is every 2-4 weeks (around 35 F) ;)

i find that if i feed it too often, it will become way too stiff.  i can't get away with feeding mine twice a day.
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »
The culture I keep at room temp I feed every 3 or sometimes 4 days. The ones I keep in the fridge, I feed every 4-5 months.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
My culture at room temp starts getting a sour mash/bourbon smell within the first 24 hours.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 10:15:32 PM »
The ones I keep in the fridge, I feed every 4-5 months.

Cool I just started a long life jar to see if mine can take that long. I dried a bunch tonight for long term storage.
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 02:24:14 AM »
Awesome news! Thanks guys, I knew it should still be healthy as it rises (Although I have the neanderthal Ischia clone as mine takes 5-8 hours but it does sit at 18-19 degrees Celsius) I was just worried about the smell. Bourbon and nail polish remover haha.

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:20 PM »
My culture at room temp starts getting a sour mash/bourbon smell within the first 24 hours.

:drool:
Josh

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 08:48:14 AM »

I use my own starter instead of Ischia but I find this holds true for mine as well. I keep it in the fridge and take it out for feeding once a week if I'm not baking, usually in the morning before I leave for work. By the time I come home (9~ hours later) it's got a nice sour smell to it, nothing overwhelming. If I'm planning to bake I'll keep it at room temp. and feed it twice a day for 2 days before using it.
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »
The culture I keep at room temp I feed every 3 or sometimes 4 days. The ones I keep in the fridge, I feed every 4-5 months.
Just curious as to why you keep your starter at room temp without feeding for so long instead of refrigerating it. Unless you're putting a very small amount of starter into a vessel that contains a very large amount of flour and water, the starter must run out of food after the first 12 hours, right? Is it better to have a warm (yet greatly deflated) starter with a good amount of residual booze in your vessel than a cool starter that has been properly fed but has gone into remission?

Offline biondanonima

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »
I try to feed my fridge starter every two weeks or so but perhaps I'll try waiting a little longer, seeing how infrequently some on this forum seem to get away with.  I tend to make pizza with it every two weeks, though, which sort of keeps me on that schedule for feeding.

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
 the better fed your starter is the less sour it will produce. at room temp mine needs to be fed  four times a day and it smells fresh as can be.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 11:04:46 PM »
the better fed your starter is the less sour it will produce. at room temp mine needs to be fed  four times a day and it smells fresh as can be.

No, you just don't give it a chance to accumulate any acids. No starter needs to be fed 4x per day. When I wrote that men smells like bourbon/sour mash, I meant that in the best possible way. If it smelled like regular yeast, what would be the point?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 09:19:54 AM »
No, you just don't give it a chance to accumulate any acids. No starter needs to be fed 4x per day. When I wrote that men smells like bourbon/sour mash, I meant that in the best possible way. If it smelled like regular yeast, what would be the point?

Guess I should say... it wants to fed four times a day. If I feed it all the time it will rise and pop the lid then get saggy and droop indicating to me "i think'' that it wants more food. But your right no started needs to be fed that much, it certainly wont die off. Im not sure can kill a starter unless you REALLY deny it. Its kind of like a giant pizza pre-curser Tartagrade.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
If I let mine go 6-7 days without being fed, it changes which I'm guessing means the stuff in it has died off and yeast/bacteria in the flour or wherever is able to take over.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dulcevita

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:20:55 AM »
Does anyone know why people say not to feed starters tap water. could it have negative long term affects possibly?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »
Does anyone know why people say not to feed starters tap water. could it have negative long term affects possibly?

I think the fear is the chlorine. My guess its that it won't hurt it. I have RO in the kitchen, so it would be silly to take a chance.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 07:32:26 AM »
I've been using tap water with my starter for well over a year and I haven't dropped dead (yet), so I guess it really depends on how good your tap water is in your area.
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »
Being new to SD, is this a typical feed schedule? If so, I like it better than the once a day I'm doing now.

Offline parallei

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
I've been using tap water with my starter for well over a year and I haven't dropped dead (yet), so I guess it really depends on how good your tap water is in your area.

I think think the concern is the disinfectants used in water treatment processes here in the States (typically chlorination or chloramination) will kill of the yeast/bacteria.  Not you! ;D  I've used Denver tap water (chloramination) for years without a problem.

Being new to SD, is this a typical feed schedule? If so, I like it better than the once a day I'm doing now.

It is pretty much the way I have been doing for years with no problems.  After a while you'll get a feel for your room temperature starter.  I generally feed mine every two days or so.  If it is warmer, I tend to increase the ratio of new flour-water (food) to existing starter.  Like Craig mentioned, if it seems to be changing I feed it more often (with the increase in food) and it always seems to return to "normal".  I always feed it twice before using it because I prefer a fresher taste.

My backup starter in the fridge can also go months without a feed.  This started primarily due to laziness, but seems to work fine. ;D