Author Topic: Floor heat in a WFO  (Read 328 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Floor heat in a WFO
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
I think that this must be a really silly question,  :o but, since I would like to know the answer.......

Newbie here using a WFO. My question is, after moving my burning wood to the side of the oven, what is the process that keeps the floor Temp up? Is it that the floor retains all it's heat after the burning wood is moved, or is it getting hot from reflected heat from the dome and sides or does the heat under the burning wood, now at the side, travel through the floor heating laterally? Most likely a combination of all of the above, if not more.
I bet there is a simple explanation of heat migration in a WFO in regards to the floor. ^^^

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline shuboyje

Re: Floor heat in a WFO
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »
The simple answer is that heat moves from hot to cold, so anything hotter then the floor will transfer heat to it.  The expanded answer is that the coals, open flame and thermal mass in the dome will all transfer heat to the floor.  This is all related to an oven design that is in balance and a operator who know how to keep it in balance.   
-Jeff

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Floor heat in a WFO
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 07:42:55 PM »
On heavy use, I sometimes sweep the coals back over the cooking area for a few minutes to re-charge it quickly.

pizzapan