Author Topic: Dead sourdough starter?  (Read 515 times)

Offline Chaze215

Dead sourdough starter?
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »
I'll admit it, I forgot about this guy in the back of the fridge. It's been a long time since I last used it. Its well over 4 or 5 months...pushing maybe 7 or so. Over the last 3 days I've been trying to get it back to life but it doesnt seem to be working....except the tiny bubbles u can see in the pics. Is it dead? Is there any hope? Maybe those small bubbles are just false hope? Looking forward to your thoughts (although I think it's too far gone). Thanks!
Chaz

Offline Chaze215

Re: Dead sourdough starter?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:07 PM »
Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller? :-)
Chaz

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »
I think you may come out fine.  The first time I nurtured a starter, it was a jar given to me by a neighbor.  Her brother had given it to her over a year before and she put it in the back of the fridge and forgot about it.

When I got it, it looked and smelled really gross.  And there was some sort of black crap around the lid of the jar.  I scooped out starter from the bottom while holding my nose and gag reflex and began feeding it a couple of times a day (morning/night)

After the first 4 or 5 days, I think it looked like the picture you posted.  And, it went on like that for another couple of days.  The, suddenly, "it was alive!" in that it started growing much more vigorously.  Within another couple of days, it was doubling every 4 hours.

I would recommend you keep going for a few days and see what happens.

- Mitch

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:45:53 AM »
My vote is for survival too.   I've been caring for, and sometimes completely neglecting a starter for more than a few years.  Sometimes I would leave it at the back of the frisde as you have for various periods of hibernation, and after a bit of attention it would always spring back.

My thought is to give it a solid week of keeping at room temperature, feeding twice daily, discarding plenty as you go.   Going well you should see something pretty active within a week, and then if you continue the same regime then after a second week of the same the starter should stabilise in its revitalised state.

I could be wrong, but they're tough beasts.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 12:29:23 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! I'm going to give it a week or so and see what happens. I started feeding it on Saturday and I have had nothing but those tiny bubbles on top.....which gave me hope. If it was truly gone, there wouldn't be a damn thing going on  in there. Stay tuned....
Chaz

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:29:22 AM »
By the way, do u think I should leave it covered or not? After 6 days in of feeding 2x a day and leaving it covered on the counter....nada! I was thinking of leaving the top ajar? Thoughts?
Chaz

Online mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 07:55:47 AM »
Definitely ajar.
Mary Ann

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »
You could try to "wash" it.... I have done this with good results. They bounce back nicely.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
Chaze: For as long as you have been working on reviving you could have started a new one.  I have no real attachment to my starters.   Walter

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
Chaze: For as long as you have been working on reviving you could have started a new one.  I have no real attachment to my starters.   Walter

Great minds think alike. I started one yesterday :-)
Chaz

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »

You could try to "wash" it.... I have done this with good results. They bounce back nicely.
@corkd I have seen this term thrown about here on the forums but what does that entail?

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »
@corkd I have seen this term thrown about here on the forums but what does that entail?

When a starter gets really funky, you can get rid of most of the funk by "washing it". Which basically entails getting rid of most of it, then diluting what remains to the point where it is mostly water, then add your flour and build it back up again. You basically dilute the starter to where there isn't much of it left. That seems to get it back into shape usually and gets rid of the funky aroma, etc.  Probably its best to save out a little bit of the starter undiluted in case you go overboard on your washing. I've washed mine plenty of times and it's always come back just fine. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline elpipetuanis

• Best Recipes Evar
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »
Thanks @TinRoof! That makes total sense.