Author Topic: Non Traditional Pizzas  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Gorgonzolla

• Itza Chicken!
Non Traditional Pizzas
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:33:50 AM »
Non Traditional Pizzas, Anybody have any input?  I like to experiment with odd pizza toppings, I wouldn'y go as far as to call them "California" pizzas, But surely non-traditional at least.  I allways strive for a thin crust pizza. One topped with roasted red and green finger peppers has proven to be a favorite. I have experimented with the addition of gorgonzolla cheese with fantastic results. One on my list would envolve Goat cheese and Lobster. Maybe even a Calamari and Caper. Who dares to think outside the box?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Non Traditional Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 09:24:57 AM »
Gorgonzolla,

I agree. I have been meaning to try a lot of new things on pizzas but have been distracted by the basic pizza styles. I did make an early attempt at “out of the box” pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,702.msg6358.html#msg6358 but didn’t get far with it.

You might take a look at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2434.msg21359.html#msg21359, http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/recipedetail.php?Alias=RE_WP3089, http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_2472,00.htmlhttp://www.jfolse.com/recipes/seafood/crawfish25.htm, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2213.msg19522/topicseen.html#msg19522, and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,508.msg4449/topicseen.html#msg4449 for some out of the ordinary pizzas and new ideas. If you like Gorgonzola cheese, I have a spicy sausage and Gorgonzolla cheese recipe if you are interested. I have also used that cheese with prosciutto, fig jam, and fresh rosemary to make an exceptional and unusual pizza.

If you are into eggs on pizzas, I have tried a lot of possibilities at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,637.0.html.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 11:09:42 AM »
Gorgonzola,

I've been baking a large number of pies lately trying to learn as much as I can about Neapolitan-style crusts. But my family started getting bored of Margherita and marinara  and bianca toppings so I've been mixing it up with all kinds of unusual toppings, often based on whatever leftovers are handy.  So far, jut about any non-traditional toppings go well with a traditional Neapolitan crust. 

My favorite source of ideas for this is the Chez Panisse Pasta, Pizza, and Calzone from 1984. Among the toppings covered in the book:

Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola, & Rosemary
Onion Confit, Walnuts, and Anchovies
Stewed garlic, pancetta, and artichoke hearts
Duck confit & pearl onions

Really spectacular pies - Alice Waters is a goddess.

Bill/SFNM

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 11:56:31 AM »
Try this - uncooked shrimp split down the middle and marinated for an hour or more in olive oil and crushed garlic, partially cooked bacon chopped up, feta cheese mixed with some mozzerella, fresh oregano, olive oil.  I call it "Pizza Alexander".  The shrimp cook up into corkscrews and the bacon finishes cooking on the pie.  Big hit.

Offline Rhode Island Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 03:03:08 PM »
I have a bunch of non traditional pizzas. Its a tough sell. But once they try it they are hooked. Ido a Dorito pizza, It has doritos,onions,olives, fresh tomatoes, and a ranch sauce. I find that finding something traditional and making it into a pie works.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 04:00:13 PM »
Currently I cook 3 kinds of pizza.  Bianca (EVOO and Parmesan), margarita, and ...
Gorgonzola, Pineapple, with some good Balsamic vinegar.  (Add vinegar after cooked and go heavy)
I know that may sounds bad, but it is fantastic.  I first had it at a local place in Atlanta that uses Caputo 00 for pizzas.

I used to use what was growing in our garden.  Tomatoes and Herbs... Great.  Green Beans...  not such a big hit with my wife.  I really want sage to work on a pizza, but cannot figure out what it should accompany.  I tried fontina, but that just didn't work out.

TM
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 04:02:36 PM by tonymark »
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 04:46:24 PM »
We've been doing a marinated portobello mushroom{olive oil and Dijon mustard} with a small amount of Roquefort cheese sprinkled over the top. It has become one of our favorite pies. ---Mel

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 06:26:50 PM »
Non Traditional Pizzas, Anybody have any input?  I like to experiment with odd pizza toppings, I wouldn'y go as far as to call them "California" pizzas, But surely non-traditional at least.  I allways strive for a thin crust pizza. One topped with roasted red and green finger peppers has proven to be a favorite. I have experimented with the addition of gorgonzolla cheese with fantastic results. One on my list would envolve Goat cheese and Lobster. Maybe even a Calamari and Caper. Who dares to think outside the box?

I just tried a pizza with Thinly sliced roasted heirloom potatoes, carmelized onions, and white truffle oil.  that was phenomenal.  There's also a pizza place nearby that makes a pie with thinly sliced breaded eggplant, fresh spinach leaves, sliced tomatoes, garlic and jalapenos.  This one is unbelievable as well. 

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 09:49:17 PM »
I just tried a pizza with Thinly sliced roasted heirloom potatoes, carmelized onions, and white truffle oil.  that was phenomenal. 

That sounds great!  Can you elaborate on how you prepared the potatoes before making the pizza.  Did you put the truffle oil on after cooking?  If cooking with the truffle oil, does it lose flavor?  (it seems that it would,  I only put balsamic vinegar on pizza after cooking it)  What temp do you cook your pizza?

Does this pizza have cheese or tomato sauce?  If so, what kind?

TM

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 12:55:32 AM »
That sounds great!  Can you elaborate on how you prepared the potatoes before making the pizza.  Did you put the truffle oil on after cooking?  If cooking with the truffle oil, does it lose flavor?  (it seems that it would,  I only put balsamic vinegar on pizza after cooking it)  What temp do you cook your pizza?

Does this pizza have cheese or tomato sauce?  If so, what kind?

TM

Tonymark, 

I didn't actually make this one myself--yet.  When I say 'tried', I meant I tried it at a restaurant  ;D.  But, I can elaborate.  The potatoes were thinly sliced.  I'm guessing they were cooked in a pan with some oil and were seasoned lightly (probably oregano or rosemary).  There wasn't any sauce.  Truffle oil is pretty flavorful, so it served as the sauce.  This pizza had no cheese on it.  The caramelized onions were used sparingly.

The restaurant at which I tried it had a beautiful oven.  they didn't crank it though.  Such a shame.  It was set to about 400! Their crust was very thin and came out somewhat crackery. 

I'm going to guess that the oil was put on before the pie was baked.  However, I'm not 100% sure about this.  I just bought a small bottle of truffle and am getting ready to experiment with using it on my pizzas so I was wondering the same thing too.   

I would also recommend trying mushrooms and truffle oil.  The pizza guys at my company's cafeteria made pizzas with porcini mushrooms and truffle oil one day.  And, I've been to another restaurant that served a pizza with wild mushrooms, mozzarella, and truffle oil. 

Personally, I don't think that truffle oil and tomatoes mix too well and would recommend avoiding it. 

I'll be experimenting with making pizzas with truffle oils

Raj

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 10:33:27 AM »
I'm going to guess that the oil was put on before the pie was baked.  However, I'm not 100% sure about this.  I just bought a small bottle of truffle and am getting ready to experiment with using it on my pizzas so I was wondering the same thing too.   

I use white truffle oil sparingly on homemade gnocchi with asiago cheese sauce.  I put it on after it is cooked.  I could not imagine putting it in the cheese sauce while cooking.  The flavor is somewhat subtle with the strong cheese sauce and seems that it would disappear at higher temperatures, but I am not an expert.  I would like to hear how your experiments go.

TM

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 01:58:53 PM »
Most of the pizzas I've tried with Truffle Oil didn't have cheese or tomato sauce on it.  The reason I was guessing the sauce was put on before was because the pizza didn't taste the least bit oily, yet you could still taste the truffles. 

Also, I once ate at a restaurant where they served flat bread drizzled with truffle oil.  It was apparent in this case that the oil was drizzled on afterwards.  It looked and felt noticeably different from the pizzas I'm referring to above.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 02:30:27 AM »
Most of the pizzas I've tried with Truffle Oil didn't have cheese or tomato sauce on it.  The reason I was guessing the sauce was put on before was because the pizza didn't taste the least bit oily, yet you could still taste the truffles. 

Also, I once ate at a restaurant where they served flat bread drizzled with truffle oil.  It was apparent in this case that the oil was drizzled on afterwards.  It looked and felt noticeably different from the pizzas I'm referring to above.

Just wanted to post a follow up to this.  Chances are that the truffle oil is put on after.  Based on everything I read, truffle oil is seldom cooked.  I bought a bottle of it but have yet to put on some pies.  Will post my findings once I do.

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 07:43:29 AM »
Can we get some of these recipes listed in the forum?

Throw me a slice, won't ya

pizzapan