Author Topic: Trader Joe's Unsalted Crushed Plum Tomatoes  (Read 825 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Trader Joe's Unsalted Crushed Plum Tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 12:28:49 AM »
Thanks Norma!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 08:28:52 AM »
Thanks Norma!

Jonas,

Let me know if you try the recipe I use with Walmart crushed tomatoes or another sauce as to what you think.  As I posted, I am not exactly sure of the amounts of ingredients to use.

I will post about the Conte pizza sauce and if it tastes somewhat the same when using about the same ingredients in smaller amounts.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »
If anyone is interested I did use November's MAE method, and the added extra ingredients I use to try to make the Furmanos Conte Heavy Pizza Sauce taste like the pizza sauce I use for market. I had wanted try it last evening but did not find time.  As can be seen in the link the Conte Heavy Pizza Sauce ingredients are crushed tomatoes, salt, citric acid, and basil.  The basil looks to my eyes, out in the sunlight, that is it is probably dried basil instead of fresh basil leaves that are in the Saporito pizza sauce. http://www.furmanosfs.com/product/heavy-pizza-sauce   

A smidgen mini-measuring spoon was used for the oregano, Greek oregano and the Italian seasonings.  About 2 red pepper flakes were added along with a part of a fresh crushed garlic clove with olive oil.  The ingredients were microwaved on high power 4 different times for 10 seconds over the course of about 1 1/2 minute.  About a teaspoon of the MAE mixture was added to the Conte Sauce.  Then a little Red Cow Parmesan cheese was added along with a couple crushed red pepper flakes, a tiny bit of sugar, a small amount of Italian seasonings, Greek oregano, regular oregano and a few pieces of Kosher salt.  The leftover Conte Heavy-pizza-sauce from market does taste a little bit tinnier than the regular sauce I normally use.  The Conte Heavy-pizza-sauce with the added ingredients using November's MAE method does taste okay, but I will wait until later today to see what it really tastes like. 

Some photos of the process.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
The Conte Pizza Sauce when doctored-up was good, but I think a little more garlic needed to be included in the MAE method.  I did add a little more Greek oregano after thinning the Conte Pizza Sauce a little.  This is what the Conte Pizza Sauce looked like before thinning with water and what it looked like on the pizza that was baked today.  I could not taste any tinny taste when the pizza was eaten.

Norma

pizzapan