Author Topic: dryfit progress  (Read 230 times)

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
dryfit progress
« on: May 26, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
So I have made progress on the dryfit that I have been making and was the reason for my previous posts on the base and perlcrete and insulation etc.  Thanks for the responses.  So I took the wooden base and placed the cement board over it with the plastic capillary break.  That was followed by ~4.25" of 6:1 perlcrete (about the depth of 2 bricks that lined the perimeter).  I then built the dryfit, added a clay flu to the front and then added 3" of rocwool to the outside with 6" on the top.  From that, I stacked some surplus paver bricks to keep the rocwool in place followed by an extra piece of cement board on top.  I ran it twice this weekend and it worked quite well, the insulation really saved on wood consumption during start=up which took a couple of hours.  I am looking for feedback and I have a question.  It is obviously not watertight, what will happen to the rocwool if it gets wet, anything?  I am thinking of placing a piece of sheet aluminum cut to size over the top.  Also, athor comments, questions, or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks, Pete

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Re: dryfit progress
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
The insulation will hold water like a sponge, and take a long, long time to dry.  You need to keep the water out of there. You could throw an A frame over it....that would be fast and cheap.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:47:28 PM by stonecutter »
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
Re: dryfit progress
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
Another option i looked into was a custom sized piece of sheet aluminum with bends on the edges and a hole that the flu would fit through - for $90.

pizzapan