Author Topic: The Steel Plate Buying Guide  (Read 13257 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Steel Plate Buying Guide
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
Yes Josh.  Even though I use convection, I still find that I need to rotate the pie after two minutes..
Mary Ann

Offline JD

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
Yes Josh.  Even though I use convection, I still find that I need to rotate the pie after two minutes..

I don't get why we would see such a big difference in bake times if our IR temps are the same :-\

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »
Maybe my IR is off???
Mary Ann

Offline JD

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
Maybe my IR is off???

Or mine? I'm going to test mine tonight against another one.

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2015, 05:35:06 PM »

That is Because the front of the oven is usualy much Cooler Then the back of the oven, The backside is beter isolated beeing sealed having no gaps and no window like the door!
But be aware that even WFO owners have the same, If not worse situation. That is why they have to spin their pizza like crazy ;D

(I 'own'a WFO One month a Year)

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »
How do your doughs compare?

The other day I was looking into it and I found an old comment from Scott:

Are you using an IR thermometer?  525 is the highest I'd go with 1/2" steel and even that might be pushing it.

Now, there is a formula related aspect as well. Lower hydrations and higher protein flours burn faster and both sugar and fat accelerate browning, but I don't think your varying results are formula related.

I was curious so I did a simple test. Dough 1:

100%   Giusto's High Protein Flour
63%    Water
2%     Salt
0.42%  ADY

Dough 2:

100%   KAAP
63%    Water
2%     Salt
0.42%  ADY

Giusto's is roughly 13.25% protein. KAAP is roughly 12%. Dough 2 was stickier so I believe KAAP has a lower absorption rate.

In a 500F oven on a 3/8" steel dough 1 burned in 3 minutes. Dough 2 was done, not burned, in 5. Dough 2 probably could've gone another minute but I pulled it because the top was done.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 05:45:34 PM by dsissitka »

Offline JD

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »
In a 500F oven on a 3/8" steel dough 1 burned in 3 minutes. Dough 2 was done, not burned, in 5. Dough 2 probably could've gone another minute but I pulled it because the top was done.

Interesting. Did you take IR Temps too? 3 minutes on 3/8 steel seems fast.  I do use All-trumps (14%), oil & sugar so you have a point. Maybe I'll throw together an oil/sugarless dough and use KAAP and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

In other news, I tested my IR gun tonight and it read 20-25* higher than a brand new gun I borrowed. That's opposite what I thought might happen.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2015, 10:56:32 PM »
Interesting. Did you take IR Temps too? 3 minutes on 3/8 steel seems fast.  I do use All-trumps (14%), oil & sugar so you have a point. Maybe I'll throw together an oil/sugarless dough and use KAAP and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

In other news, I tested my IR gun tonight and it read 20-25* higher than a brand new gun I borrowed. That's opposite what I thought might happen.
Maybe new gun is bad?

http://www.tempcon.co.uk/Calibrating-an-infrared-thermometer#.VKyvTsnwpkg
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:00:07 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »
Steel beeing a reflective material. Is hard to read for A IR gun.

my Fluke IR laser has a program function that enables different settings for various materials

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2015, 05:38:16 PM »

I didn't, but I will tonight.

Another possibility. I'm using a 84 cubic inches of steel (16" x 14" x 3/8") and I preheat for 75 minutes. mbrulato is using 161.5 cubic inches of steel (19" x 17" x  1/2") and it looks like she also preheats for 75 minutes. Maybe her steel isn't fully saturated with heat?

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2015, 10:58:45 AM »
Just a note for Canadians reading this thread--scott123's guide mentions using "A36" steel.  That is purely an American designation; there's no such animal in Canada.  The Canadian equivalent of A36 steel is referred to as "44W" steel.  As a pricing guide, I live in Nova Scotia, and was just quoted $46.73 plus tax for a 17" x 18" x 1/4" 44W steel.

Offline Jan Sisu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »
Scott 123,
Your posting yesterday was so helpful to me. I had my computer open to your post when I called a local steel shop so that I could read your questions just like you said!  I almost felt like I knew what I was talking about!  The person mentioned that he has a big scrap pile and I am welcome to come and pour over the scraps since I want such a small piece.
Thank you for your detailed instructions.
Jan

pizzapan