Author Topic: What causes the super-stretch dough?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Lido

• Mulberry Street is my favorite.
What causes the super-stretch dough?
« on: June 08, 2006, 07:25:44 PM »
I've noticed that when I leave the dough for a few days in the fridge sometimes when I start to form/stretch it, it's really loose and stretches almost by itself (or solely by the force of gravity).  It happened to the dough I used last night which was made with soft 00 flour and left in the fridge for a week.  The dough held up ok, but had some pin holes.  No major rips.  It was really wet as well and I had to use a lot of flour to keep it from sticking to the peel.  It also didn't look smooth either when it was in a ball or stretched.  When stretched it had little indentations in the thin part of the dough, some of which were pinholes.  The pizza tasted great, but I would prefer to have the dough a little more smooth and have a little more tendency to hold together when I'm making it.

This was the 2nd half of the dough batch mentioned in my other thread here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3171.0.html

if you're curious about the process I used to make it.  My next batch is going to be a same day recipe based on Peter's thread also somewhere on the first page of this forum (not that I've read it yet).
- Lido

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: What causes the super-stretch dough?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:48:01 PM »
Lido,

What you experienced can happen with any dough, not just one using 00 flour. What causes the problem you experienced is the action of the protease enzymes in the flour/dough to attack the gluten bond, causing the gluten to break down and water to be released. It usually takes a few days for this to happen and the older the dough is, the more pronounced the effect. The dough will be overly extensible (stretchy) and tears and holes in the dough are common during handling. In most cases you can't repair the damage by pinching the dough together, or patching it, adding more flour, or re-balling the dough and trying again after a period of rest. (I know because I have tried all of these "solutions".) I don't know if you experienced this with your dough, but a skin in this condition will usually not brown sufficiently, if at all, and attempts to get better browning by increasing the bake time will usually not work. At this point, there will usually be insufficient residual sugar (extracted from the flour by other enzymes) to support meaningful browning of the crust. The flavor will be fine--maybe even superior--because of all the flavor-enhancing byproducts of fermentation after several days. But the dough itself will be a basket case.

I believe the answer to your problem is not to go out beyond 2 to 3 days. Remember also that some 00 flours have less protein/gluten than others and tend to become more extensible than others. I am not familiar with your brand of 00 flour but it may be one of the "weaker" 00 flours. Sometimes you can mitigate the damage to the gluten by using higher salt levels. High salt levels effectively slow down the protease enzyme and may even affect the action of other enzymes (amylase, I believe) to extract sugar from the flour. In your recipe, I estimate that you are using about 1.25%, which is on the low side. I would try increasing it to somewhere between 1.7-2% and see if that helps.

BTW, did you take any photos of the pizza?

Peter

Offline Lido

• Mulberry Street is my favorite.
Re: What causes the super-stretch dough?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:47:53 PM »
Thanks Peter.  I'll try more salt next time I use that recipe.  Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to try the one-day recipe.  No pictures last night.  I was too hungry.   :chef:
- Lido