Author Topic: So it begins... in Leuven.  (Read 2488 times)

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

• Supporting Member
So it begins... in Leuven.
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »
Since pretty much the whole build of my oven is based on info, successes and partial successes I read about on this forum, I thought it would be only right to document the build of my Neapolitan oven on here so others can learn from my attempt.

As per tradition, the title is "So it begins", in Leuven, my hometown, that rings a bell because that's where your over-priced beer comes from.

The slab:

• Supporting Member
Re: So it begins... in Leuven.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:46:26 PM »
The stand, concrete blocks stacked dry with concrete poured into them.

The hearth, poured concrete with the vertical poles that should eventually hold the oven front set into them.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »
A mockup the oven front.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »
How I made the front: redneck lasercutting. (a drill press, a lot of patience and a grinder)

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:06:23 PM »
This picture is out of sequence, but should give an idea about the layers of insulation under the oven.

Starting at the bottom, there's a concrete heart.

On top of that I poured a layer of egaline which is just to make the hearth level: it's basically a concrete that you pour when it's as liquid as a milkshake than slowly becomes rock hard and completely level.

On top of that there's 6 cm of Ytong blocks, which is a lightweight insulating brick. (at first I wasn't planning on these but they're dirt cheap, and the cooking floor could use some more height as I have a bad back)

On top of that, a complete layer of aluminum silicate board I had laying around.

Then there's another layer of the same stuff, but with a 105 cm (42 inch) hole in the middle. In other words, it's only under the soldiers, not under the cooking floor.

The reason behind that is: I'm not sure about the cooking floor bricks. I've read a lot about bricks, conductivity and whatnot, only to realise it's all a bit too complicated for me and I'll get there through trial and error. Hence, the whole floor can be dismantled through the oven opening and another floor put in place.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 04:14:36 PM »
This is the insulation board under the cooking floor. It's Promasil (http://www.promat-ap.com/products/hpi/promasil-1000.htm)
You should be able to tell I already cut it in three strips that fit through the oven door.

I chose the version that's 3cm thick, because the stones I'm using are also 3 cms, and should I ever have to swap them for other stones, I can pull stones and promasil and have 6 cms to work with. 6cms is pretty much a standard thickness for bricks so it should leave me with a lot of choice.

Keep in mind, even if I pull the promasil board, there are all the other layers of insulation underneath.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 04:16:33 PM »
I insulated the oven front from the bricks with Aluminum silicate board scraps.

Also notice the rings that will hold the buttressing cable, I'll probably be using the one on the left.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:18:28 PM by ChristianVerschaeren »

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »
Don't forget: Always keep the workspace nice and tidy. :-[

Offline meatboy

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
Hello Sir!

Keep up the great work! And once you are ready I would like to come over for a taste! Aachen -> Leuven is just an hour ;)

Cheers

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 01:33:34 AM »
You are most welcome! Inaugural pizza party should be the 28th of June, make a note in your agenda!

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »
I bought the stainless buttressing cable cable today.

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to weave the cable through the steel net in attached picture.
It would reinforce the cladding, but I don't know if I should worry about steel and cladding having different expansion rates and whatnot.
Any thoughts on this?

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »
Where does the insulation go?  Steel expands at a greater rate than masonry at high temps.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 02:06:20 AM »
The cable will go directly across the bricks under the cladding I guess, insulation (ceramic blanket, rockwool and/or expanded clay) would go after the layer of cladding.

So, no net then.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 08:39:17 AM »
Put in the floor

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
I have no idea why these pictures are turned 90 degrees, sorry.

Anyway, made the sand mold. Put in everything I could find that would fit through the door to fill 'er up to not use too much sand. Including these unopened bottles of beer, which is also a security measure, if I wouldn't have put them there I would have probably finished  'em and my cupola would have looked like it was built by Stevie Wonder.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 08:50:57 AM »
Dammit, been looking for my tape measure all afternoon, apparently it's in there too.  :-[

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:00:10 AM »
With sand. At first I wanted to do a 3-centered arch like other people here, but then I figured (although I have no idea what I'm talking about) that one arch would be a lot more solid. Also, I guess I might have done the 3-centered arch if I would have built a huge oven. But at 42 inches you're talking such a small arch, and considering the height of the bricks to take in account it wouldn't really have been a nice transition anyway, but a one-centered arch with a dent in it at the  end.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
I covered the sand form with newspaper that I drenched in water and wallpaper glue. I guess to keep the shape a bit and the bricks cleaner. You can't really tell from picture but the color of the newspaper is pink, it's pages from La gazzetta dello sport. It's a well kept secret among Neapolitan oven builders that if you cover your sand form with pages from La gazzetta dello sport you getter better oven spring in your corniccione. (Whereas if you use Corriere della Sera you get better leoparding)

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 06:43:14 PM »
It's a well kept secret among Neapolitan oven builders that if you cover your sand form with pages from La gazzetta dello sport you getter better oven spring in your corniccione. (Whereas if you use Corriere della Sera you get better leoparding)

Very nice, meneer Verschaeren..  :)

When I did my oven, I used a New Zealand daily newspaper, called the New Zealand Herald. What effect will this have on my pizzas? :-D

pizzapan