Author Topic: Preparing Mother Cultures and Rejuvenating them  (Read 1424 times)

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
Preparing Mother Cultures and Rejuvenating them
« on: June 10, 2006, 04:57:54 AM »
I wondered if we could do a poll of who uses a home made mother culture and who uses bought ones?

I have just made myself a second mother culture, in my new location. We are now 48 hours in and it is developing good smells. I am going to try baking with it later this week.

My original mother was from my old home, and during freezing and restarting it seems to have lost much of it's flavour. I presume this is becuase it has lost lactobillus during freezing. I ahve been trying to rejuvenate it by leaving it open to the air rather than covered, hoping it will pick up a new lactobillus, is that possible or likely?

Has anybody done a timed side by side comparison of a bought and home prepared culture and subsequent sponge development? That might be quite interesting.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Preparing Mother Cultures and Rejuvenating them
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 11:01:13 AM »
Has anybody done a timed side by side comparison of a bought and home prepared culture and subsequent sponge development? That might be quite interesting.

The leavening and flavor characteristics of cultures can vary widely. It is fine to compare cultures, but the classification of "bought" vs. "home-prepared" doesn't seem to me to be very meaningful.

I now have 5 "bought" cultures (all from sourdo.com). I did maintain a home-made one for many years, but dumped it just recently since the others were superior in every way. I'm not saying bought cultures are better; this was just a case where my particular home-made one just wasn't as good.

Bill/SFNM

pizzapan