Author Topic: Fresh Yeast storage  (Read 478 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Fresh Yeast storage
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »
Scored some fresh yeast from my local RD.  How do I store once opened?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Jackitup

Re: Fresh Yeast storage
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »
If you have a vacuum sealer I would divide into several small useable portions, vac pac and freeze. If not, do the same wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. As I type this I'm wondering if this wouldn't work: divide into several small portions, drop into an ice cube tray, cover with water and freeze. Pop out into a ziplock bag or plastic container and take out a cube as needed. The water would protect the yeast from freezer damage. I haven't tried this but it seems like it would be worth as try. Fresh yeast as is in the fridge is only good for 2-3 weeks tops and that also depends on how long it's been in the store waiting for you

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
If you have a vacuum sealer I would divide into several small useable portions, vac pac and freeze. If not, do the same wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. As I type this I'm wondering if this wouldn't work: divide into several small portions, drop into an ice cube tray, cover with water and freeze. Pop out into a ziplock bag or plastic container and take out a cube as needed. The water would protect the yeast from freezer damage. I haven't tried this but it seems like it would be worth as try. Fresh yeast as is in the fridge is only good for 2-3 weeks tops and that also depends on how long it's been in the store waiting for you

jon

The ice cube tray is a great idea.  I will try that.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
I use Tupperware into  fridge 3-4 weeks no problem still fin after that I through it out, go Hog wild, and spend anther $1.34  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan