Author Topic: Fresh Yeast storage  (Read 239 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Fresh Yeast storage
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »
Scored some fresh yeast from my local RD.  How do I store once opened?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Jackitup

Re: Fresh Yeast storage
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »
If you have a vacuum sealer I would divide into several small useable portions, vac pac and freeze. If not, do the same wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. As I type this I'm wondering if this wouldn't work: divide into several small portions, drop into an ice cube tray, cover with water and freeze. Pop out into a ziplock bag or plastic container and take out a cube as needed. The water would protect the yeast from freezer damage. I haven't tried this but it seems like it would be worth as try. Fresh yeast as is in the fridge is only good for 2-3 weeks tops and that also depends on how long it's been in the store waiting for you

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
If you have a vacuum sealer I would divide into several small useable portions, vac pac and freeze. If not, do the same wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. As I type this I'm wondering if this wouldn't work: divide into several small portions, drop into an ice cube tray, cover with water and freeze. Pop out into a ziplock bag or plastic container and take out a cube as needed. The water would protect the yeast from freezer damage. I haven't tried this but it seems like it would be worth as try. Fresh yeast as is in the fridge is only good for 2-3 weeks tops and that also depends on how long it's been in the store waiting for you

jon

The ice cube tray is a great idea.  I will try that.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
I use Tupperware into  fridge 3-4 weeks no problem still fin after that I through it out, go Hog wild, and spend anther $1.34  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com