Author Topic: Pizza Hut Upgraded to Leprino "Whole Milk Mozzarella" Pizza Cheese  (Read 543 times)

Offline Zing

After a Pizza Hut ad said they were using "Whole Milk Mozzarella", I ordered a double cheese pizza so I could get some more samples of baked Leprino frozen whole milk pizza cheese. Surprisingly, there has been no ballyhoo from Yum Brands about this change. This cheese is far better than the Leprino part skim cheese most big chains use.

The description on the box now reads: 100% Real Cheese Made from Whole-Milk Mozzarella Pizza Cheese.

The ingredients list on the box now reads: PIZZA CHEESE
Mozzarella Cheese (Pasteurized Milk and Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Modified Food Starch, Powdered Cellulose, Natural flavors, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Flavor), Sodium Propionate (Added As A Preservative). Contains Milk.

Please note this product is shipped and stored frozen.

What I don't understand is how they can call it Whole Milk Mozzarella, yet make it with part skim milk.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Hut Upgraded to Leprino "Whole Milk Mozzarella" Pizza Cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
What I don't understand is how they can call it Whole Milk Mozzarella, yet make it with part skim milk.
Zing,

Can you tell us which "box" you were referring to?

As for your question, the only rational answer I can come up with is if the Pasteurized Milk and Skim Milk in combination are used to produce a finished mozzarella cheese that meets the standard of identity for whole-milk mozzarella cheese, it perhaps can legitimately be called whole-milk mozzarella cheese.

I believe that the relevant statutory provisions are at:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2006-title21-vol2/pdf/CFR-2006-title21-vol2-sec133-155.pdf

and

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2006-title21-vol2/pdf/CFR-2006-title21-vol2-sec133-158.pdf

Peter

Offline Zing

Re: Pizza Hut Upgraded to Leprino "Whole Milk Mozzarella" Pizza Cheese
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
Whoops. Sorry. The cardboard box the 20 pounds of cheese ships in:

pizzapan