Author Topic: Blackstone Napoletana  (Read 8507 times)

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
Blackstone Napoletana
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »
Hey Everyone.. Just picked up a Blackstone yesterday for $250.00 in the box new. Yea, couldn't resist.. and was only 30 miles away from my house.  Am in planning stages of putting a WFO Pizza Truck together so figured this would be a great way to test and work on the ever more important element....dough...  So put it together yesterday and did 3 mods. Did a switch on the front.... Stainless washers under the deck stone...i think i added to many. And made a char deflector that i think i made to aggressive of a bend..  Need to do some more testing . I haven't got my peels yet but wanted to test it out so went and got some dough from the store....Yes was awful tough...  and picked up some fish for the wife. Picked up a IR temp gun at Harbor Freight and a couple of Broiler dishes for the fish . Took about 15 minutes to get the deck to 800 deg . made two pies a white and a margarita. Bakes where just under 90 seconds Was done on a spur of the moment. So hand crushed cento tomatoes ... had some fresh mozz from the other day left over and made a pizza peel out of a cardboard box...was pretty impressed with Blackstone though..Even though a little burnt..kids said it was the best pizza they tasted...And they hate the coal fired pizza we get sometimes saying it tastes burnt...So pretty impressed. Cooked the fish after the bake and cooked at low..took 10 minutes..sweet....I have sourdough starter in the fridge  i feed every week so will make a batch this wednesday for the weekend using Craig's dough ...Thanks Craig.....Will also make some fresh mozz....Anyway here is results.. Partly sure the extra browning was partly because of my aggressive char deflector as well as dough from store... Will have to see ....And thanks all to the members of this forum for the inspiration ... ;D

Margarita:  Fresh torn mozz , Cento tomatoes hand crushed, Fresh basil, X Virgin olive oil, sea salt

White Fungi: Fresh torn mozz, mushrooms , Ricotta , fresh garlic sliced thin, Fresh basil  X Virgin  olive oil, sea salt

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:23:03 PM by vandev »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Napoletana
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:56:45 AM »
The fish as well..

Offline Pab

• Pizza Please.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »
I`m getting neck ache  :P

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »
I`m getting neck ache  :P

I have no idea why the pictures post sideways... Any help?  took with my iPhone and they are not sideways..

Thx C.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 10:48:48 AM »
I have no idea why the pictures post sideways... Any help?  took with my iPhone and they are not sideways..

Thx C.

The world is a bit sideways, at times.  ;D Do your pics always post in that orientation?
Pies look good overall. Char a bit heavy for me tho.
Keep up the good work.
Happy baking! :chef:

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »
The world is a bit sideways, at times.  ;D Do your pics always post in that orientation?
Pies look good overall. Char a bit heavy for me tho.
Keep up the good work.
Happy baking! :chef:

Mark

Thanks Mark, No my pictures never do this... ???

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »
Thanks Mark, No my pictures never do this... ???

You must have been in an alternate vortex at the time of posting. Try a test post and see what happens. I know that there is someone on the boards who can rotate your pics in your post, I have seen it done, at least I think I have.

Mark.
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 01:48:17 PM »
What's the story with the skull?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
What's the story with the skull?

HA..Ha...  We have raccoons around as we are on the lake...one day at the end of our development i saw a bunch of vultures and went to see what they where gathering for..it was a raccoon . About a month later i came home went out to the patio and the skull was on the table. Well come to find out my daughter was walking our dog along the lake and came upon the finished product.  Looks like Predator from the movie cleaned that thing.   It's our center piece now.....Pretty funny the comments we get... ;D

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:26:57 AM »
I want to be the first customer at your Pizza Truck.  :P   
Were in Florida are you?
And where was the Blackstone for $250?

BT
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:29:00 AM by Black Tie »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »
I want to be the first customer at your Pizza Truck.  :P   
Were in Florida are you?
And where was the Blackstone for $250?

BT

Hey BT,  Thanks for the compliment...  Im in South Florida. Bought it from a private seller. Bought and never used. Where are you?

C.

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
Near Cocoa Beach.
I might not be your first customer, but I wouldn't be your last either.  ;)
Keep us Floridians posted on your truck. That will be cool!
BT

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:33:04 AM by Black Tie »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »
Keep us Floridians posted on your truck. That will be cool!
BT
+1
Please do keep us informed.  I get to the warmer part of FL every few months (West Palm), so if you are in the area, I'll buy.
Dave

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
Thanks BT and Tampa... I skydive in deland so i am familure with Coco Beach.. as well i work a lot in Palm Beach...  Again thanks for the compliments and thanks for you guys getting me inspired.. ;D Im making the forum Chauflector today and ordering my turning peel and wood loading peel.. Yeaa...

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 05:20:06 PM »
As i continue to test the Blackstone and Neopolitan Pizza  style pizza making i will post all the equipment and steps i use to try and get there. I made the template for the Charflector and cut one out. Thanks Festool.. 5 minutes..;D   I also got a Spiral dough hook for my kitchen aid mixer. Banjo  turning peel and wood loading peel 14x16x42 on the way... Thanks Craig for the link.. gmetal.. and So far ...so much fun.. 

C.

Sorry...pictures keep turing sideways.... ???
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:22:31 PM by vandev »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
Well , did my first test with 2 batches of dough . I did Craig's 24 x24 recipe with my starter and Toti's emergency 8 hour dough with fresh cake yeast. I did 6- 260 gram balls each batch so 12 all together . I did the 8 hour just in case my starter failed.. "always have a backup plan".... Was a great learning experience as seeing the pies Craig, Omid, Dylan ...kind of setting the bar here. I also made a few different kinds as my kids and there friends where here also. I really understand now what Anthony Mangieri meant when he explained that he made only 4 kinds of pizza all from the same ingredients . Keep it simple...  I did alter Toti's 8 hour dough though. I made the dough and mixed on low for 10 minutes  5.. rest 5 and then 5minutes. I stretch and folded 10 times and let sit on counter for 1 hour. I then cut and balled and put into containers and put in cooler at 60 degrees and then proofed for next day bake so 24 hour dough. I also made a big mistake with this one as i added 750 ml of water than the 625 that i was suppose to. I realized after 4 minutes of mixing by the consistency so i added a little more flour but i know it was way over hydrated..  Very tough to work with as super sticky. I had to put in fridge for 30 minutes before bake as they where impossible to work with. Anyway was good time and everyone enjoyed as well as the wife as a few obscenities that came from the over hydrated not being able to get on the peel. Only 4 of the 6 made it. Craig's dough wired great and i think i had a bit of high hydration. Will need to figure this one out. Also the charflector wired great and i think i will bend ends a couple degrees more. Happy so far with the progress.. 

Thanks all..

Alos would like to add that i added my starter 4 hours after i feed it. It has doubled at that point..very aggressive..

Used Capputo 00 blue for Craig's dough and King Arthur Italian 00 for the 8 hour dough
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 04:32:58 PM by vandev »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 12:38:07 PM »
more..

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »
and the pepperoni i also added shredded mozz to as well. I also used that cosco fresh mozzarella already sliced...hated it...... dry and melts way to fast. Vey hard to tear nice....Oh yea and my 90 degree kitchen :)

Oh yea...Pizza's..

traditional margarita.. "You all know"

white pie was fresh mozz, ricotta , black garlic,scallion , mushroom , basil, X olive oil and sea salt

peperoni was fresh and shredded mozz, fresh oregano, pepperoni ,X olive oil and sea salt and basil

white pie with fresh tomatoes was fresh mozz, ricotta, fresh garlic, fresh oregano , X olive oil, sea salt and basil

Also wanted to add that with my new turning peel you are really able to control the way it cooks. Tried Dylan's method of rotating with great success ..  Played around with this a lot. I think its a must have to try to get WFO results..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:24:43 PM by vandev »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
This guys is awesome... 

https://vimeo.com/6938721

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »
Fantastic looking pies, especially that white pie!  Looks like you have the BS nicely under control.  That's a much tidier chauflector than my bent cheese grater.

Anthony Mangieri was a bit of trailblazer alright.  If you have the time and the $$ you can have a week long pizza party with him in September:

pizzapan