Author Topic: Blackstone Napoletana  (Read 7386 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Blackstone Napoletana
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2014, 01:54:36 PM »
true... i think more or less like a blow torch then as my outer crust is always a bit more crunchy....maybe gas as a heat source and not as a blow torch... it has to have different properties i would think...and i could be wrong... its  like when you put a torch on some sugar on a cream brulee...it just gets crisp..

I'm pretty sure that is a function of sugar chemistry. 1 pound of propane produces 1.6 pounds of water when it burns (assuming complete combustion). I doesn't matter if you burn it in an oven or with a torch.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »
Wonder how Mapp gas would work in a BS?  :o
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that I'm working with about a 8"x 8" cooking area so my results can change quickly and always seem to be a little different...  Still trying to figure the oven out every time i use it. How full the tank is...if its windy...how hot outside... and my only thing that would be the most consistent would be the dough as i do the same steps each time. The only thing that could change would be the starter as i have no real system that i follow. I feed it once a week . it stays in the frig. I feed it the first time and 8 hours later it maybe doubles. I feed it again and it really doubles...almost triples in less than 3 hours. But my dough has been pretty predictable thanks to you... ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »
Wonder how Mapp gas would work in a BS?  :o

Expensively.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
Are Neapolitan-style Blackstone pies typically as rigid as seen in the 5th picture?

Generally no, but depends on the bake time and structure of the cornicione and possibly other factors.  Most of mine I think are softer than pic #5 looks.   Occasionally I have a tricky time getting a wet pie out of the oven because of the pie's lack of rigidity.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »
Those crab cakes look amazing as does the mushroom and sausage, really nice balance on the bakes.   The marg looks like a stab at da Michele territory?   Was that with really small bits of cheese?

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »
Those crab cakes look amazing as does the mushroom and sausage, really nice balance on the bakes.   The marg looks like a stab at da Michele territory?   Was that with really small bits of cheese?

Thanks Dylan,  yes it was a stab or should i say a long shot going for that look. I figure if i put the cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes i could have pulled it off. I tore half the buffalo into tiny pieces and half in my normal size pieces. I remember working the pie with your shuffle as i wanted to get the right char and at about 60 seconds the cheese just liquefied...  what happen is i forgot to turn the oven back on high and instead of medium it was more near low so i was way off on temperature  and couldn't wait anymore to launch...  I new when it hit the floor i was in trouble .... I mentioned i should just toss it and my kids looked at me like i was crazy...  Had a good laugh. They ate the whole pie right then so i could not chuck it.. it was pretty funny.. I'll have to say the BLT tasted really good...  I may up my hydration next bake as Craig has me thinking I'm dry.. ???

Chris

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »
Thanks Dylan,  yes it was a stab or should i say a long shot going for that look. I figure if i put the cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes i could have pulled it off. I tore half the buffalo into tiny pieces and half in my normal size pieces. I remember working the pie with your shuffle as i wanted to get the right char and at about 60 seconds the cheese just liquefied...  what happen is i forgot to turn the oven back on high and instead of medium it was more near low so i was way off on temperature  and couldn't wait anymore to launch...  I new when it hit the floor i was in trouble .... I mentioned i should just toss it and my kids looked at me like i was crazy...  Had a good laugh. They ate the whole pie right then so i could not chuck it.. it was pretty funny.. I'll have to say the BLT tasted really good...  I may up my hydration next bake as Craig has me thinking I'm dry.. ???

Chris

I've thought about binning more than a few pies but always get stopped before I can follow through. 

Not a bad idea to play with higher hydration, I'm thinking of doing 64% next bake.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
I've thought about binning more than a few pies but always get stopped before I can follow through. 

Not a bad idea to play with higher hydration, I'm thinking of doing 64% next bake.

sound good...ill go for that...or at least grins a giggles... ;D  I also see you are at 4% Starter.. I'm at 3%.. maybe ill up that as well..

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
I'm only at 4% because it's so blimmin cold here at the moment.    It's a tricky one to get right when the temperature isn't predictable.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
I'm only at 4% because it's so blimmin cold here at the moment.    It's a tricky one to get right when the temperature isn't predictable.

I'd hate to think what you would put out if it wasn't tricky for you...... ;D

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
my 12th firing and check out the formula..  Can you figure out whats so funny... >:D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2014, 08:48:21 PM »
39 degrees? 

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »
39 degrees?

i already gave a huge hint....??

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
The amount of flour is pure evil !

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
The amount of flour is pure evil !
What does that have to do with `12th` firing?  :)

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2014, 06:54:11 AM »
What does that have to do with `12th` firing?  :)

Nothing..just the flour was funny... ;D  I went with 64% this time and actually forgot to stock up on Caputo 00 so i have half King Author Italian style flour. I don't know what it was but it feels super light in bulk...maybe the KA...maybe the higher hydration...  maybe the evil.. :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »
Nothing..just the flour was funny... ;D  I went with 64% this time and actually forgot to stock up on Caputo 00 so i have half King Author Italian style flour. I don't know what it was but it feels super light in bulk...maybe the KA...maybe the higher hydration...  maybe the evil.. :-D
You rascal....now I notice the devil smiley hint.  Not fair!!   >:D

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2014, 10:35:49 AM »
12th firing...learning more about everything i still am trying to figure out... ;D  I learned that 2% makes huge changes in everything you do..  Was a great learning experience . Also never panic when you have a blow out ..just take your time and you can pull it off..  yes the pepperoni and jalapeno..

Also tried on the last margarita to keep cheese more formed by putting in freezer for 15 minutes before firing...worked like a charm..  Dough was much different and light by going from 62% hydro to 64%..   Girls loved it so no complaints.. ;D maybe it was the  >:D

Oh yea, and my camera skills really suck..  ;D

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
a couple more.. ;D