Author Topic: Blackstone Napoletana  (Read 8500 times)

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Napoletana
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 06:28:02 PM »
Starting my forth firing....  Something to smooth out this firing... ;D

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »
My dough is out of control this time... :o  should be fun though...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »
Starting my forth firing....  Something to smooth out this firing... ;D

I agree that firing the oven almost requires a wee nip. It is cause for celebration. Just remember to be mindful of the inverse relationship between alcohol consumed and pie roundness...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
I agree that firing the oven almost requires a wee nip. It is cause for celebration. Just remember to be mindful of the inverse relationship between alcohol consumed and pie roundness...

I am in total agreement Craig...  i did some silly things with the dough this week as well.. Will update the idiot things i did when finished.. Will also be going off the Anthony reservation tonight with a pepperoni and  Fresh jalapeño   "I love hops...as they turn into beer and scotch!"  LOL ;D

Also picked up a cast of IPA from one of Our local Breweries here in Miami.. YUM Yum ....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:54:16 PM by vandev »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »
Well this week's firing went pretty well considering a lot of things went a rye ....  I used Craig's last dough formula that i also used last week as well but changed the way i added my starter. I fed my starter Wednesday morning and  then at 4;00 when i got home. After 2 hours i added my 20 grams of starter and 1/4 of my cupputo 00 flour and some of the water to get to a pooling consistency a little bit thicker than my usual starter. I let that set for a hour and then added to rest of flour, salt ,water in the mixer. Mixed 2 minutes rest 10 two times. Needed for 5minutes and let rest for a hour on the counter. This is where i had a brain fart and instead of putting in cooler as bulk ....i balled and put in cooler....Well its been a busy week....  I didn't realize till the next morning. So i just said what the heck and see what happens. I also took some advice and put the balls on the lid instead of the container. Well day two and all the containers popped off.. My dough must be pretty active i guess. So i was able so turn over 4 without incident. 2 i had to re ball. $ hours before firing i put at room temp about 77-79 and the started rising. The dough was really easy to work with and pizza came out pretty well. The only thing i noticed was it took a extra 20 seconds to cook..was at the 2 minute mark and usually at 70 second mark. I also was trying to figure out the size of mozz to get a half melted look so i used whole small balls. Was pretty tricky getting off the peel without having  them move.....

C.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2014, 05:27:44 PM »
Pretty nice Margherita hiding in there.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
Pretty nice Margherita hiding in there.

I'll take that ...Thanks Craig... Yea, i think it was hiding under the second finger of scotch...  Just a tad to much cheese but i wanted to see what 70 seconds did to a  small whole ball of mozz.... when i launched off the peel it was like watching the room moving as the balls where following all my hand motions and didn't want to get mozz on the stone......I am thinking that if i go smaller and really chill the cheese i can get the right WFO look..  Just a WFO counterfeiter here.. ;D  I really like your dough formula though..Thanks for that hurdle i didn't have to jump over... :o
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 06:46:41 PM by vandev »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »
I think the melt of the cheese on that pie looks really good.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »
I think the melt of the cheese on that pie looks really good.

i was pretty happy with it. I was shooting for a Una Pizza Nepolitana Look.  Like these..." I can Reach"  LOL :-\

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »
i was pretty happy with it. I was shooting for a Una Pizza Nepolitana Look.  Like these..." I can Reach"  LOL :-\

I think your melt looks better. The first and third UPN pies look like they have marshmallows on them.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
I think your melt looks better. The first and third UPN pies look like they have marshmallows on them.

I'll take that one as well.. that's a keeper.. ;D I think what i am going to try tomorrow is have the mozz balls in ice water and then tear a bit and see what kind of look i get..  Yea, made some emergency dough with fresh cake yeast a couple hours ago for a tomorrow for a small 3 pizza firing...  I feel possessed  >:D  Thats my possessed look below...

C

Online dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »
Bravo!  Looking great.  Pizza looks good too ;-)    Is that buffalo moz or fior di latte you're using? 
I don’t believe in many things, but I do believe in duct tape.

http://instagram.com/dylandylandylan
http://www.pinterest.com/pizzalife/nailing-it/

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2014, 07:28:09 AM »
Bravo!  Looking great.  Pizza looks good too ;-)    Is that buffalo moz or fior di latte you're using?

Thanks Dylan........Flor di latte...it's the small balls packed in water and there already pretty tight. I tried buffalo last weekend but the buffalo mozz we get here is medium sized balls packed in water and very soft  and it melted very quickly in the blackstone. I am going to try keeping the mozz in a bowl of ice water and see if that will slow down the melt. That way i can tear the small balls. If i put the small teared mozz balls they melt too quickly. Trying this afternoon.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »
Did some emergency dough for practice last night with fresh cake yeast. Fired 3 pizzas to see how dough handles. Was pretty nice actually. What i did find out was that my Friday night firing was longer cook times as my propane tank must have been low as i changed it out today and noticed a big flame difference. Everyone should take this into consideration when trying to emulate WFO Neapolitan style pizza. I noticed my cheese cooking much quicker. Made these 3 for the kids so Pepperoni and jalapeño and a margarita... I pulled the margarita a bit early as the cheese was getting to well overdone...  They enjoyed...

C.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:53:05 PM by vandev »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
How long was the bake on the pie with the jalapenos? I've never had even the remotest bit of browning on a fresh jalapeno on one of my pies.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »
How long was the bake on the pie with the jalapenos? I've never had even the remotest bit of browning on a fresh jalapeno on one of my pies.

That one was the first fired at a floor temp of 818 deg.....  that one was 86 seconds give or take a second.... I moved that pizza every 15 seconds to the outside of the stone like Dylan does as well as domed it for 5 seconds at the right side near the flame... I really had to work to get that as i noticed the dough was not darkening as fast as your dough formula that i usually use.  I used both fresh mozz and dry like you do sometimes.Texture was good but didn't have the starter flavor...kids ate it like rabbid dogs....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:07:44 PM by vandev »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »
It looks great. I wish I could get some color on the jalapenos like that. Maybe I'll try hitting it with a torch after - simulate the BlackStone propane oven!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2014, 07:22:14 AM »
It looks great. I wish I could get some color on the jalapenos like that. Maybe I'll try hitting it with a torch after - simulate the BlackStone propane oven!

the irony.... ;D

Offline moose13

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2014, 11:02:35 AM »
Great looking pies!
Can you share the dough recipe?
I am looking for a new dough to try with the blackstone.
Thanks

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »
Great looking pies!
Can you share the dough recipe?
I am looking for a new dough to try with the blackstone.
Thanks
Thanks for the complement....
I can take zero credit for the dough..  It's Craig's last firing..  Its awesome....  I need to start sending him money i guess.... ;D  Firing up tonight in about a hour or so.... :drool:

61%, 2.8%, 2%, 24+24 @ 64F. As the 2% culture would indicate, this dough was a bit more risen than my usual formula. I think I may prefer this. Bake times were 45-50 seconds.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:14:14 PM by vandev »