Author Topic: Where to get high gluten flour Tampa Florida  (Read 332 times)

Offline Jaypizza

• I Love Pizza!
Where to get high gluten flour Tampa Florida
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for a source of high gluten flour in the tampa florida area. I can purchase All Trumps Bromated flour from GFS tampa but, for health concerns, I'm looking for a flour that is un-bromated.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
Re: Where to get high gluten flour Tampa Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:48:24 PM »

There is a version of unbleached unbromated All Trumps (50143000).  Check back with GFS if they don't have it they can order it.

Bob

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:36:01 AM »
There are no valid health concerns regarding bromated flour. It's perfectly safe to make pizza with. There's no evidence whatsoever that bromate is a carcinogen in humans, and, even if there was, the parts per billion that ends up in pizza matches up with the same amount of bromate that's found in most water supplies (bottled or tap). Are you going to avoid water due to health concerns?

Offline Jaypizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
Scott,

Right now I'm on the fence about bromated flour.  I am hesitant to use bromated flour because I am concerned about the flour/dough that is not baked and the possibility of this getting consumed. Also, I have 2 small dogs under 10 lbs each I'm worried that they might consume flour that spills on the flour or small prices of dough when/if it falls. I called GFS and the salesperson told be they could not order the un-bromated version even when I told them General Mills Carried it. I wonder if my supermarket can order it since they carry General Mills products.

Thanks for all your help!

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »
Joe, human physiology and canine physiology are entirely different to rat physiology.  Here's what we know. If you feed a rat a diet of bromate, pure bromate, not parts per thousand, parts per million or parts per billion, 100% bromate, the rat will get cancer.  If you owned a pet rat or a mouse, I might advise you not to feed it a diet of pure bromate :)  But then I'd also advise you not to feed it a diet of pure salt, pure nutmeg, pure baking powder or pure anything. Almost every ingredient becomes dangerous when you consume it in large enough quantities, even water.

Without even knowing if bromate is a human or canine carcinogen, the parts per million in the flour become no more dangerous than the parts per billion in the baked crust. Does this mean that I eat raw pizza dough or feed it to pets?  Of course not, but a scrap of dough that makes it to the floor is going to be harmless. Not that scraps of dough really should ever be making it to the floor.  I don't know about your household, but I find drops of chocolate ice cream on the floor all the time.  Peas, raisins, anything round and small, the ground is like a magnet.  But dough? I've made at least 500 pizzas at home and never once did dough end up on the floor. Depending on how vigorously I toss a pizza, I might get a very light dusting of flour on the floor, but, at most we're talking half a teaspoon, and to get that much in total, the dog would have to lick a pretty large section of floor. I know dog biscuits are usually flour based, but do dogs even enjoy the taste of raw flour?

Unlike bromate, chocolate is a well documented danger to dogs.  Is your home chocolate free?  If it isn't, are you careful with it?  A bromated flour NY style pizza is way better than chocolate :)  I sincerely don't think you need to be that paranoid, but if you really can't get past this phantom fear, then just be as careful with the bromated flour as you are with chocolate. If you're conscientious, the dogs are never going to eat dough or anything close to a meaningful amount of flour.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:46:53 PM by scott123 »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
but do dogs even enjoy the taste of raw flour?

they do , or mine does anyways, she cleans up any little bits of flour that hits the floor

a  food evil for dogs is dough, it expands in their stomach and can cause bloat.  Also,  the alcohol produced can be absorbed into the bloodstream and cause alcohol poisoning. 

Personally,  I'm far more concerned with my dog getting dough off the counter than licking up a little excess flour off the floor

Offline Jaypizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
For me it is very rare for me to drop dough on the floor but very small amounts of flour do sometimes fall on the floor when I toss a pizza. I did some research and read somewhere that some grape juices were tested for arsenic and one of them had. 24 ppm of arsenic (not sure how true this is) now this wouldn't stop me from drinking grape juice now and then. So I think I will give the all trumps bromated a try.  I look foward to learning more on this forum.

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:20:31 AM »
Deb, thanks, that's good to know.

Joe, I promise, you will not regret your decision to work with bromated flour.  For NY style pizza, it's the real deal.  I'm not a huge fan of all Trumps (it's contains a little too much protein), but lower protein bromated flours tend to be considerably harder to track down, and, if blended with a low protein all purpose (such as 25% White Lily all purpose), the AT should serve you incredibly well.

I would keep your eye out for a slightly lower protein flour, though.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31133.msg310078#msg310078

Do you have a tax id or know someone who does? Restaurant Depot might have Full Strength.  FS is superior to AT for NY, imo.

Offline Jaypizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 08:02:18 PM »
Yes I do have a sales tax certificate so I will look into that. I appreciate all the recommendations and I will post an update when I purchase the flour.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:06:27 PM by Jaypizza »