Author Topic: How about a new section?  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How about a new section?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 12:56:32 PM »
enchant,

How about this... A thread or page dedicated to troubleshooting failed dough. If we beginners truly believe that we've followed the instructions to the letter but we're still having problems, it would be nice to have a section that might offer solutions without having to pester you guys with the same questions over and over.

For example:
Too elasticky (won't stay stretched)
Tears too easily
Lumpy

Suggestions to common problems could be given.

I think you will find that the bulk of the "diagnostic" posts can be found in General Pizza Making and, to a somewhat lesser degree, in the Newbies board where dough-related problems are often raised. The General Pizza Making board is one of the largest on the forum, so it is possible that the general posts dealing with solving problems could be carved out to make it easier to find them. 

Peter

Offline bdcbbq

• I Love Pizza!
    • Brisket Dog BBQ
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 02:14:02 PM »
I got my new IR thermometer today. ;D  I'm going to take Bill's advice to learn my baking environment this weekend. I think that's a good way to start. Any suggestions on a dough recipe to learn to cook? Or would it be easier to trot down to the local cheap chain pizza joint and pick up some dough to practice with? What chain's dough would be best to use to simulate a neapolitan or NY style. Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Marco's, and Domino's are all nearby. Plus a couple of independents.

I will take some photos of this process and I plan to start a new thread to document the journey.
Bruce
bruce@bdbbq.com
Brisket Dog BBQ

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list

Offline pondoro

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 10:19:40 PM »
I have tried Peter's version of the Lehman recipe twice now and it has helped me achieve exactly what I wanted with a thin crust. The first time I only let it rise 3 hours (I knew it was wrong but it was all the time I had), the second time I gave it a full 24. I have a deep dish recipe that I have been happy with for years but never had a thin crust that made me happy. My third batch is kneading right now.

I bake on a pizza stone in my gas grill, with another stone on top. No high tech temperature measuring devices.

Thankks for the help.