Author Topic: My thoughts on 6 in 1 Tomatoes  (Read 1360 times)

Offline TXCraig1

My thoughts on 6 in 1 Tomatoes
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:07:48 PM »
I bought a case of 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes from Escalon and tried them on DS the other day. I have two observations: 1) I love the flavor. Simply incredible rich tomato flavor. 2) I don't like the bits of skin at all. They are a big problem for me.

I'm thinking about give them a try on NP next time, but I'm worried about it. There is so much substance to DS that it worked pretty well. NP is so much more delicate, i'm just not sure... I'll probably make a second batch of sauce with Cento Italian 35oz as a backup just in case I can't get past the skin pieces.

MY DS "Margherita" with Calabrian chilies:
Pizza is not bread.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: My thoughts on 6 in 1 Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
Just perfect! 

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »
I bought a case of 6 in 1 crushed tomatoes from Escalon and tried them on DS the other day. I have two observations: 1) I love the flavor. Simply incredible rich tomato flavor. 2) I don't like the bits of skin at all. They are a big problem for me.

I'm thinking about give them a try on NP next time, but I'm worried about it. There is so much substance to DS that it worked pretty well. NP is so much more delicate, i'm just not sure... I'll probably make a second batch of sauce with Cento Italian 35oz as a backup just in case I can't get past the skin pieces.

MY DS "Margherita" with Calabrian chilies:

I don't like the bits of skin either. I just noticed a #10 can at my local store last time that used peeled tomatoes.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »
I don't like the bits of skin either. I just noticed a #10 can at my local store last time that used peeled tomatoes.

I have seen but not tried those. One of the reasons that crushed tomatoes tend to have so much flavor is that they use the ones that are too ripe to peel.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 09:39:28 PM »
I have seen but not tried those. One of the reasons that crushed tomatoes tend to have so much flavor is that they use the ones that are too ripe to peel.

Interesting. They're both called "ground" so I was thinking peeled or not was the only difference.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline csafranek

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »
6 in 1 is the next sauce I am trying on my NP pizzas. I have had a can waiting to try for a while. Please post your view on the NP bakes. Thank you!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:17:40 PM »
I have two observations: 1) I love the flavor. Simply incredible rich tomato flavor. 2) I don't like the bits of skin at all. They are a big problem for me.

I think your thoughts were the same with regards to Sclafani too, no? Did you add anything to them or right from the can?
Chaz

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
I think your thoughts were the same with regards to Sclafani too, no? Did you add anything to them or right from the can?

I actually liked the 6 in 1's a bit more. The Sclafani had an almost caramelized/molasses sweetness. The 6 in 1 was a bit more of a sweetness I would expect in tomato. The skin pieces were larger in the 6 in 1 by a large margin.

For the DS, I added a bit of oregano, a drizzle of EVOO, and a pinch of salt. The flavor was incredible.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
I really like the 6 in 1's. I get them mail order by the dozen. Shipping rates are really reasonable on their website. I believe they are owned by Heinz.

I add a little salt, garlic, and oregano for my sauce. For me they have the most natural tomato taste. I can picture a ripe tomato when I taste them and I don't get that acidic metallic can flavor.

I use them on NY style and Neapolitan. The skin doesn't bother me but could you quickly pass them through a food mill or sieve to remove them?
Michael

Offline jsfotografie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 06:34:12 AM »
hm would love to try them on an sicilian :-) any known shop in germany or europe?

cheers and thx
janosch

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »
I finally got around to making NP with the 6-in-1 tomatoes. While they certainly were not bad, they were a bit out of balance for NP - not quite enough acid to balance the thick sweetness. I also just don't care for the skins. I hit it pretty good with the stick blender and that helped a bit, but not much.

On my pepperoni pie, they are pretty tasty, but it's a no-go for a Margherita, IMO.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 06:08:53 PM »
I prefer the 7-11, but it is close, 6 in1 are a close second.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 08:03:37 PM »
TXCraig, if you don't care for the skins and added sweetness, see if you can find a brand called "Nina" crushed tomatoes. They don't have skin, at least I don't detect any, and they are tomatoey but not as sweet as 6 in 1's, their cousin Classico's or Scalafani. Another tomato you might like is Pastosa crushed tomatoes, although they may not be available down in Texas.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
I'm totally happy with the Cento Italian (35oz). Steve asked me what I thought of the 6-in-1, so I bought a few cans to try.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
It's funny how everybody has their own preferred taste. I've tried cento a few times just to give it the benefit of doubt and every time they have been tasteless. I tried make pizza Sauce and meat sauce for pasta. I found myself adding tons of stuff to make them decent.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 11:17:19 PM »
Cento makes a lot of different tomato products.  The last can I bought, All Purpose Crushed, were terrible.  I haven't bought the ones with the ROA1 can code because I just can't see spending $5 on a 28 oz can.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 09:05:33 AM »
Cento makes a lot of different tomato products.  The last can I bought, All Purpose Crushed, were terrible.  I haven't bought the ones with the ROA1 can code because I just can't see spending $5 on a 28 oz can.

All the 35oz cans I see are marked ROA1, and $3.50 is the most they ever have cost here - often they are under $3.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 09:41:01 AM »
Those bits of skin contain what is called the "velvet" the portion immediately under the skin, and the reason why they are present is because of the flavor they bring to the product. If I am working with a client that doesn't want the skin in the sauce I commonly use Tomato Magic (ground whole peeled tomatoes) from Stanislaus.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 01:57:32 AM »
I buy the Cento at Walmart for $1.80. I don't see anything about that ROA1 can code on mine. I use it for my NY style pizza but love the 6 in 1 for deep dish.

TX Craig, what is that beautiful DS pie in the beginning of this thread? It looks like the crust was cooked with a bit of oil in the pan.  Do you care to share the recipe for it?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 07:25:01 AM »

TX Craig, what is that beautiful DS pie in the beginning of this thread? It looks like the crust was cooked with a bit of oil in the pan.  Do you care to share the recipe for it?

Craig's Detroit thread is here  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21992.20.html