Author Topic: My thoughts on 6 in 1 Tomatoes  (Read 1144 times)

Online TXCraig1

Re: My thoughts on 6 in 1 Tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 10:02:08 AM »
It looks like the crust was cooked with a bit of oil in the pan.  Do you care to share the recipe for it?

Thanks for the kind words. I use butter-flavored Crisco in the pan.

The like deb posted contains what little I know about DS.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 07:39:37 PM »
I finally got around to making NP with the 6-in-1 tomatoes. While they certainly were not bad, they were a bit out of balance for NP - not quite enough acid to balance the thick sweetness. I also just don't care for the skins. I hit it pretty good with the stick blender and that helped a bit, but not much.

On my pepperoni pie, they are pretty tasty, but it's a no-go for a Margherita, IMO.

Craig..thats EXACTLY what I thought would happen.  Im not expert....%$# im not even a novice on NEO, but, I always see neo sauce being thinner, less sweet.....as much as I love valorose oand 6 and one ( i use both) I never would think they would be appropriate for neapolitan.   Actually the characteristics of San Marzano actually are perfect, aren't they??

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 08:41:55 PM »
Actually the characteristics of San Marzano actually are perfect, aren't they??

I think so. You need some sweetness, but you need some acid too to cut through the fat in the (ideally) buffalo mozz. The 6-in1's and the NJ tomatoes I can't spell the name of both just hit me with sweet. For whatever reason, they really work for me on DS, but not so much on NP. I guess the sweetness pairs well with all that crust.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
Try the 7-11's they are my current favorite and I do not recall seeing any skins ever.  That said, I do like 6 in 1.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
Try the 7-11's they are my current favorite and I do not recall seeing any skins ever.  That said, I do like 6 in 1.

I thought those are unpeeled then ground?
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 05:44:32 AM »
stonecutter,

According to the Stanislaus website, you are correct:

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#Ground

Peter

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 08:44:28 AM »
stonecutter,

According to the Stanislaus website, you are correct:

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/real-italian-products/from-scratch-products#Ground

Peter

I read the website description, and it seems that the only difference between the 7/11s and the Tomato Magic is the peel in 7/11s.  I personally find the 7/11s to be quite tasty. 
Josh

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »
I just opened a can, and you are correct, there are bits of skin.  I never even noticed.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
I just started going to my local RD where they stock Stanislaus and 6 in1 along with others. I decided to do a taste test with these two and a can of S&W I had laying around, all crushed tomatoes.

I knew which bowls were which but my wife or children did not. All samples were straight out of the can with no seasoning.

Results:
Tomato Magic was hands down the favorite.  My 19 year old daughter chose S&W but the others chose the TM. NOBODY chose 6 in 1.

Having said that, my wife really loved the 6 in 1 I used on the Malnatis DD earlier in the week.

IMO, they were all pretty close (I really thought the S&W would get killed). If all properly seasoned, I think it would be too close to even matter.

pizzapan