Author Topic: For those who use full strength..  (Read 358 times)

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
For those who use full strength..
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »
I've been reading post about it and am considering making the switch from all trumps. What makes full strength superior? Going to check my local RD today so hopefuly they carry it. Fingers crossed!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: For those who use full strength..
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »
Cam;
All Trumps flour comes in at a little over 14% protein content while Full Strength comes in a bit lower at 12.6% protein content. It all depends upon what you want to use the flour for. In New York City A.T. is the flour of choice because it provides the desired chewiness but if you don't want that level of chewiness F.S. might be a better choice. I've had exceptionally bad results using A.T. in thick crust and deep-dish pizzas as the finished texture was excessively tough and chewy. Things were a bit better with flours in the 12% protein range. For all of the pizza work that I've done over the past 45+ years I've used flour in the 12% protein range more often than any other. It is, in my opinion, probably the best all around protein range (12 to 12.6%) for making just about any type of pizza by just about any dough process, management procedure or opening method. Full Strength is at the top end of that protein content range. Even better, there is a good selection of flours from different manufacturers that fit into that protein range whereas it can be a bit difficult to find flour with 14+% protein in many locations. Possibly one of the most readily available flours in this protein range (12 to 12.6%) is the Pillsbury Bread Flour available at most supermarkets. This flour was packaged for retail back in the day when bread machines were popular and consumers wanted a flour to use in their machines just like the bakers used to make white pan bread.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 03:58:30 PM »
Thanks I make NY pies. I just wanted to hop on the bandwagon, I've heard members like Walter talk it
Up so much I figured what's to lose. I haven't had any problems with all trumps, well maybe that's bc AT is the only flour I've used. I Started making pies last year and after only 3 months later I quit bc of school work and no time. Now a year later I'm ready to make my first pie
So I'm debating which flour to kick it off with. :)

Here's a pic of one of my pies during my few months of learning the art.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 04:58:18 PM »
camaro:  Like Tom said FS is a very forgiving flour.  AT is a great flour too.  I use it for bagels.  I also use it for pizza when I am out of FS.  To be honest I could use either for NY style and be ok but prefer FS because it is easier to work with (dough snapping back mostly and the dough balls open up very easy).  Your pie looks really good.  If your crust isn't too tough AT is fine.  Walter
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:04:25 PM by waltertore »

Offline Jaypizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »
I believe That the King Arthur Bread Flour comes in at 12.7% Protein. I  have been using it with good results and it is available almost everywhere.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 05:58:43 PM »
Thanks everybody GFS doesn't carry FS but does carry AT. I'll check RD on Monday and see if they have FS, hopefully they do!

Offline lag

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »
I looked for AT  in my local Los Angeles area RD  but they do not carry it. They do have Kyrol which has a similar protein content of approx. 14%
I have used Kyrol  and have had good success with it.
Anyone else have any experience with the Kyrol?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 08:08:26 PM »

I have used Kyrol  and have had good success with it.
Anyone else have any experience with the Kyrol?

lag,

I have worked with Full Strength, All Trumps and the Kyrol flour.  I do like the Kyrol flour but am mostly working with Full Strength now.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!