Author Topic: Need help making Neapolitan style with KettlePizza  (Read 386 times)

Offline Tony5000

• I Love Pizza!
Need help making Neapolitan style with KettlePizza
« on: June 07, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
I started out baking pizzas in my home oven using the Baking Steel and Peter Reinhart's Neapolitan recipe.  My percentages are 65% water, 2.5% kosher salt, 1% ADY.  I mix all ingredients together and add water.  I let it sit for 20 minutes, hand mix for 4 minutes, sit for 5 minutes, mix another couple minutes, and then hand knead.  I let it sit in a covered bowl for 30 minutes and then keep it in the fridge 2 - 5 days. I finally got to a point where they were turning out well, but not quite a good Neapolitan pie.

So i decided on getting the Kettle Pizza with the steel on top to get more of a wood fire oven experience.  I didn't get the KettlePizza stone with the kit because I thought i'd use my Baking Steel instead. I was able to get 900 - 1000F temps, but the steel was so hot the bottom of the pizza turned black in under a minute.  So then i decided to go and buy a good 1/2 inch baking stone (Old Stone Oven Pizza Stone).  Once again the pizza quickly turned black on the bottom and the top wasn't well baked.

I'm not sure what's going wrong. 

any tips?

thanks,

tony

Offline shicken

Re: Need help making Neapolitan style with KettlePizza
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »
The balance of bottom heat to top heat is way off.

To get more heat on top, the heat source needs to be higher - ideally the same level as the stone.    If you have the KP baking steel top, use it on top. 

If you don't have the KP prograte, try shifting your stone off to the side, build your fire off to the side and back.

Here are pictures of my configuration with the tombstone prograte with a steel plate underneath that rests on teh weber grate tabs.

I lay down a foundation of hot coals lit in a charcoal chimney, then place hardwood on top, stoke it and burn it down before covering up.  I refuel through the opening of the KP insert.

Offline Tony5000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »
My baking steel is not big enough to go on Weber grill tabs. I could put the steel on the grate with the stone on the top and build the fire off to the side. Would that work?

Offline Tony5000

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 09:05:26 AM »
I already have the thin plate of steel that goes on top

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 12:37:46 PM »
You can also add a door below to add more wood and adjust the amount of O2 getting in.  It works really well:
http://shapeof.com/pizzalab/archives/2012/7/make_your_own_marvin.html

I've done some more mods to my oven since then, which I'll have to write up again.

pizzapan